1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/13, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gears?

Ok so my friend who graduated Ohio tech said if I get 4.10 gears my car will still shift out at the same rpm and speed as with stock gears. He calls me a idiot please tell me he's wrong cause I know for a fact if have to shift out at 35.
Old 2/20/13, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Ok so my friend who graduated Ohio tech said if I get 4.10 gears my car will still shift out at the same rpm and speed as with stock gears. He calls me a idiot please tell me he's wrong cause I know for a fact if have to shift out at 35.
Your right man your wheels will rotate faster (torque) at lower rpms that's why you have to recalibrate your speedometer whenever installing gears you will still shift at the same rpm just shorter time between shift I hope I explained it good enough
Old 2/20/13, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shaunrc

Your right man your wheels will rotate faster (torque) at lower rpms that's why you have to recalibrate your speedometer whenever installing gears you will still shift at the same rpm just shorter time between shift I hope I explained it good enough
He was saying I was still going to shift at the same exact rpm and at the same speed as stock gears, out of first gear. I even looked on to see the new shift points and they were a little higher and speed was cut back. Honestly I fear for him doing good at his job working on diesels if he can't get gears right. Unrelated he said twin turbo couldn't double/triple power outputs on a GT/cobra.
Old 2/20/13, 11:46 PM
Bullitt Member

He was saying I was still going to shift at the same exact rpm and at the same speed as stock gears, out of first gear. I even looked on to see the new shift points and they were a little higher and speed was cut back. Honestly I fear for him doing good at his job working on diesels if he can't get gears right. Unrelated he said twin turbo couldn't double/triple power outputs on a GT/cobra.
Shift points will stay the same cause in a automatic its all done by hydraulics but speed, like you said, will be reduced cause of the gear increase he is wrong but you already knew that as far as the twin turbo topic.... he couldn't be more wrong just depending on size of the turbo how much psi your running plus the motor being able to handle it. Now I don't know everything but its kinda common sence when it comes to vehicles to a certain extant
Old 2/20/13, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Shift points will stay the same cause in a automatic its all done by hydraulics but speed, like you said, will be reduced cause of the gear increase he is wrong but you already knew that as far as the twin turbo topic.... he couldn't be more wrong just depending on size of the turbo how much psi your running plus the motor being able to handle it. Now I don't know everything but its kinda common sence when it comes to vehicles to a certain extant
He says he finds it hard that a supercharger can make 150hp. -_- Also says that doing exhaust is a cheap way to get sound. I'm like how else should I get sound? He just replies with heads and cams. Yeah I want to spend over 2000 on that just to have different sound. Honestly I expected more from someone who graduated from Ohio technical college.
Old 2/20/13, 11:56 PM
Bullitt Member

He says he finds it hard that a supercharger can make 150hp. -_- Also says that doing exhaust is a cheap way to get sound. I'm like how else should I get sound? He just replies with heads and cams. Yeah I want to spend over 2000 on that just to have different sound. Honestly I expected more from someone who graduated from Ohio technical college.
If you want sound cut the mufflers off and put on some pipes its still smog legal cause mufflers have nothing to do with emissions but if you can spare some cash get some mufflers and a catless x pipe or electronic cut outs really anything performance is expensive and as far as the supercharger topic.... has he seen the gt1000 or the cobra jet um I am going to say proven wrong I wouldn't want this guy working on my car
Old 2/21/13, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

If you want sound cut the mufflers off and put on some pipes its still smog legal cause mufflers have nothing to do with emissions but if you can spare some cash get some mufflers and a catless x pipe or electronic cut outs really anything performance is expensive and as far as the supercharger topic.... has he seen the gt1000 or the cobra jet um I am going to say proven wrong I wouldn't want this guy working on my car
Well he goes for diesel not gas or performance. Thankfully, he will be working on trucks and not cars. Though seeing his lack of knowledge I know now why he barely passed in his school. He brings a bad name to his school and I wish him luck because a employer will want a mechanic who knows his stuff. Kinda sad and had to rant about it. Also he said gears would ruin my tranny and that the gears were in the tranny not the diff or connected to the diff. Granted I may not be a mechanic but even I know he's full of ****.
Old 2/21/13, 12:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Well he goes for diesel not gas or performance. Thankfully, he will be working on trucks and not cars. Though seeing his lack of knowledge I know now why he barely passed in his school. He brings a bad name to his school and I wish him luck because a employer will want a mechanic who knows his stuff. Kinda sad and had to rant about it. Also he said gears would ruin my tranny and that the gears were in the tranny not the diff or connected to the diff. Granted I may not be a mechanic but even I know he's full of ****.
There are gears in the tranny haha not the kinda gears we are talking about if you ever have a question don't hesitate I have a couple of ford certs and I am attending uti and I love what I do
Old 2/21/13, 12:27 AM
Bullitt Member

There are gears in the tranny haha not the kinda gears we are talking about if you ever have a question don't hesitate I have a couple of ford certs and I am attending uti and I love what I do
Yeah I know there are gears in the tranny but I knew for sure the 4.10 gears go in the back. I just find it annoying that he thinks he knows more because he went to tech school yet half the stuff he says is wrong more than half the time. -_- oh well I'm deff not having him work on my car ever. Also 4.10's will not hurt your tranny, which he said it would. I think he should get his money back on the school they didnt do there job.
Old 2/21/13, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I know there are gears in the tranny but I knew for sure the 4.10 gears go in the back. I just find it annoying that he thinks he knows more because he went to tech school yet half the stuff he says is wrong more than half the time. -_- oh well I'm deff not having him work on my car ever. Also 4.10's will not hurt your tranny, which he said it would. I think he should get his money back on the school they didnt do there job.
Agreed
Old 2/21/13, 12:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Agreed
Thanks for replying to my rant!
Old 2/21/13, 12:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for replying to my rant!
Your welcome
Old 2/21/13, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't know much about diesels... but I'm a mechanical engineer major and all the stuff your friend says is bull****. superchargers will make 3x 4x and dragsters will make 5x more power... same with superchargers. gears will require you to reprogram your gauge cluster to accommodate for the change just like buying different size wheels would. Putting heads on your engine wont change the sound more than putting a CAI on unless you already have a hi-flow exhaust and a decent amount of power to start out with. Cam's will change the sound but only at a low rpm due to the change in valves opening and closing at a different time and even then you'll only gain about 20-40hp but have that really throaty idle speed sound like old school muscle car lol.
Old 2/21/13, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by benjyc32
I don't know much about diesels... but I'm a mechanical engineer major and all the stuff your friend says is bull****. superchargers will make 3x 4x and dragsters will make 5x more power... same with superchargers. gears will require you to reprogram your gauge cluster to accommodate for the change just like buying different size wheels would. Putting heads on your engine wont change the sound more than putting a CAI on unless you already have a hi-flow exhaust and a decent amount of power to start out with. Cam's will change the sound but only at a low rpm due to the change in valves opening and closing at a different time and even then you'll only gain about 20-40hp but have that really throaty idle speed sound like old school muscle car lol.
He still can't wrap his head around the fact twin turbo is capable of getting a new edge mustang GT or cobra to 1000 or more horsepower.
Old 2/21/13, 12:25 PM
Cobra R Member

did you ever stop and think this guy might just enjoy screwing with you

some people like to play dumb
Old 2/21/13, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by skunk21
did you ever stop and think this guy might just enjoy screwing with you

some people like to play dumb
I did but he keeps it up for more than two days and says any information/videos showing it is false because it's from the Internet. He acts the same way when I say his google TV has game lag and show him countless people who post the issues up. Then he says he only trusts the web site that belongs to the company. I really can't make this **** up.

Last edited by skunk21; 2/21/13 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2/21/13, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

I did but he keeps it up for more than two days and says any information/videos showing it is false because it's from the Internet. He acts the same way when I say his google TV has game lag and show him countless people who post the issues up. Then he says he only trusts the web site that belongs to the company. I really can't make this **** up.
Wow. Sounds like you have no chance of winning an argument with him not even a challenging back and forth conversation, he must be a fun in class.
Old 2/21/13, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by skunk21

Wow. Sounds like you have no chance of winning an argument with him not even a challenging back and forth conversation, he must be a fun in class.
I'm going to get my psych PHD not a trade school. He's just so stupid I've honestly had enough of him to last a life time. He barely passed tech school so well see how he does in the real world. Iam in no way a tech master but these basic things are common knowledge. Honestly I wish they failed him so he would retake it and learn something for once.
Old 2/21/13, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

He sounds like a cool dude.......... nnnoooooott I can't stand people like that but there are more people just like him trust me I deal with them every day they try to tell the instructor he is wrong. Uh really he is teaching it for a reason
Old 2/21/13, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

He sounds like a cool dude.......... nnnoooooott I can't stand people like that but there are more people just like him trust me I deal with them every day they try to tell the instructor he is wrong. Uh really he is teaching it for a reason
He should stay out of performance and stick to just turning a wrench and changing oil and swapping out parts. That's about all he can do effectively. Lol he says I drive like a senior citizen but yet he always tail gates and always goes excessively fast. He's the guy that goes down a 30mph town road going 60+

Quick Reply: Gears?