1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Gear Recomendation/Question!

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/05, 12:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gears should I consider......right now I have a 00 2V engine with a 5 spd. The car is NOT a daily driver.

As soon as I get some cash, I'm looking at getting a MGW short shifter, and maybe........just maybe......maybe looking at a 4V Mach1 engine swap later on down the road(2+yrs).

At this point I'm planning on getting a Diablosport tuner(for speedo correction), because it can be used for the GT and Mach1 engine.

Since my car has close to 85K I've heard this is the best time to add new bearings, and if possible install a "track-lok" or a Detroit Locker. Any advice on bearing kits? Any advice on whether to go with "track-lok" or a Detroit Locker(or another brand)?

I'm open to 4.10s since it is not a daily driver. For some reason I can't get my Stang off the line, I think I need to go back and clean some parts, but I'm figuring it's the gears.
Old 12/13/05, 09:43 AM
V6 Member

If it's not a daily driver, you can also check into some 4.30's...
Old 12/13/05, 10:37 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would stay with 4.10 on 2v engine but if you seriously are going to go with a 4v later you would want 4.30's
Old 12/13/05, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Go with 4.10's if you plan on staying n/a, 3.73's if you plan on adding a supercharger, nitrous, or a bottle later on.

Unless you are planning on doing some serious drag racing, do not go with a locker. They can, and do lock at the wrong time during road driving and can cause bad results. So if you are keeping it a street car, stick with the ford track loc unit. If it is going to be a 100% drag car, then skip the locker and go straight to a full spool. They are cheaper, and hold up much better than lockers, however, they ARE NOT for street use as they basically make your axles one solid peice, and have absolutely no slip to them. People do drive them some on the street, but it is not recomended. Your ford trac lock unit is just fine for your average, to somewhat extreme drag racing.

If you do decide to upgrade your differential, then I would go ahead and go to 31 spline differential and axles as well. The only cost over what you would pay for a 28 spline differential is the new axles, which can, and most likely will break after enough abuse.

All of your questions really depend on exactly what you want out of the car.

Strictly a track car? If so how fast to you plan on going, and how much power do you plan on putting down. What type of racing do you want to do?

Street car? If so how much of your driving is going to be interstate, around town, or at the track?
Old 12/13/05, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Also, you say you cant seem to get the car off the line? What kind of tires are you running? I have seen people take fairly stock 2v gt's to around 13.5 in the 1/4, with 60' times below 2.0. Gears will help, but if you are trying to drag race on everyday street tires, then you arent getting the most out of the gears you have now. Lower gears such as 4.10's will only make the problem worse as you will be boiling the tires off at the line, while someone with stock gears and good tires walks you out of the hole.
Old 12/13/05, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joker@December 13, 2005, 10:13 PM
If you do decide to upgrade your differential, then I would go ahead and go to 31 spline differential and axles as well. The only cost over what you would pay for a 28 spline differential is the new axles, which can, and most likely will break after enough abuse.

All of your questions really depend on exactly what you want out of the car.

Street car? If so how much of your driving is going to be interstate, around town, or at the track?
It's not a track car for sure.

I'm aiming for a street legal, definately more highway than street traffic, of course backroads for fun . I can deal with the drone of the exhaust at a higher RPM, and live with the gas mileage.

Right now the idea of a super/turbo charger hasn't entered my mind. I'm planning on staying N/A.

As far as upgrading the axles.......just a new set(aftermarket), or what car would be a good donor?
Old 12/13/05, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joker@December 13, 2005, 10:18 PM
Also, you say you cant seem to get the car off the line? What kind of tires are you running? I have seen people take fairly stock 2v gt's to around 13.5 in the 1/4, with 60' times below 2.0. Gears will help, but if you are trying to drag race on everyday street tires, then you arent getting the most out of the gears you have now. Lower gears such as 4.10's will only make the problem worse as you will be boiling the tires off at the line, while someone with stock gears and good tires walks you out of the hole.
I still think it's a learning curve, as this is my first RWD. She'll take off when launching at high RPMs, as I continually learn how to drive out of slight "fish tails". I think I'm wanting a little more LOW-end torque, without having to having to get on the pedal as much.
Old 12/14/05, 11:19 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Gears wont give you power or torque, but it will get you into the power band quicker. If you add gears, the higher the gear ratio, the less traction you will have.
Old 12/14/05, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Scothew@December 14, 2005, 12:22 PM
If you add gears, the higher the gear ratio, the less traction you will have.
Yep, and if you a spinning out of the hole now, then it will only get worse. If you are worried out getting out of the hole, get some tires. Drag radials should do just fine (I have heard the new Mickey Thompson dr's are just about like launching slicks), but if you really want the car to hook 100% of the time, go with some et streets. You can practice your launch all you want to, but with street tires on the car, you are sstarting out with a huge disadvantge. Why not give yourself the right tools get get the job done to start with, and learn from there.
Old 12/14/05, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh yea, I forgot, your dirving out if slight fishtails comment made me think of something else. If you dont already ahve them, get some good aftermarket rear control arms. It is a mustangs naturall inclination to kick out to one side or the other when launched hard (typically they have a tendency to kick out towards the passenger side if the wheels are pointed straigh forward. A good set of control arms will help to prevent this. You want the car launching straight forward, not kicking to either side. When it kicks to the side it not only waste some of the power to the ground, but hampers momentum as well, all be it a very minute amount.

With the proper tires, suspension, and a set of gears, you will be able to launch that car like you have never imagined. I could launch my 96 gt with 4.10's, et streets, and a 150 shot of nitrous off of the redline, and it didnt spin a bit, it just hooked and went.

Be forwarned though, that the more power you put down, and the better traction it gets at the drag strip, the higher your chances for coming home with a busted axle.
Old 12/14/05, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@December 14, 2005, 12:53 AM
It's not a track car for sure.

I'm aiming for a street legal, definately more highway than street traffic, of course backroads for fun . I can deal with the drone of the exhaust at a higher RPM, and live with the gas mileage.

Right now the idea of a super/turbo charger hasn't entered my mind. I'm planning on staying N/A.

As far as upgrading the axles.......just a new set(aftermarket), or what car would be a good donor?
If it is going to be a street car, just stick with a standard ford traction lock. They hold up well, even to abusive situations, the rebuild kit for them cost less than $100, and you dont have to worry about the car having poor street manners

N/a, I would go with 4.10 gears personally, but if you want more, 4.30 gears would be ok as well. Just dont plan on alot of interstate type driving.

Axles, go aftermarket. Strange and Moser both make an excellent product. I do not know of any good donor cars that would have better axles, except maybe the 05 gt's but I serisouly doubt they will fit. Axles arent really all that expensive anyways. You can probley get a ford 31 sline differential and a set of aftermarket axles for less than $700 or so. Dont know the exact cost as I havent priced that kind of stuff in a while.
Old 12/14/05, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@December 14, 2005, 1:53 AM

Yea, I said the same thing!! :bang:

BTW, I have a JLP "black chip"(2 position programmable) I'm selling cheap. If interested shoot me a PM.
Old 12/14/05, 06:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

the rebuild kit is like 49 bucks i believe. ill check just ordered a set for my 92. going w/ 410's.
Old 12/15/05, 12:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joker@December 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yep, and if you a spinning out of the hole now, then it will only get worse. If you are worried out getting out of the hole, get some tires. Drag radials should do just fine (I have heard the new Mickey Thompson dr's are just about like launching slicks), but if you really want the car to hook 100% of the time, go with some et streets. You can practice your launch all you want to, but with street tires on the car, you are sstarting out with a huge disadvantge. Why not give yourself the right tools get get the job done to start with, and learn from there.
This is a lot of good advice, thanks guys!

I really appreciate this as this is my first project car.

Just to give some more insight on my vision, I'm trying to build the car from the bottom to the top. Meaning right now I'm buying suspension parts, like springs, struts/shocks, and I'm looking at subframe connectors. I know it's temping to buy intakes, blowers, exhausts, x-pipes etc, but my logic is "get the most out of the power I have" right now. Then add on engine mods later down the road.

So yes, as far as control arms I was focusing on that and subframe connectors. As far as 'et streets' any suggestions? Right now I have a set of 17X9 and 17X10.5 rims that I haven't installed because I'm trying to find some tires for them.
Old 12/15/05, 12:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by joker@December 14, 2005, 1:06 PM
Oh yea, I forgot, your dirving out if slight fishtails comment made me think of something else. If you dont already ahve them, get some good aftermarket rear control arms. It is a mustangs naturall inclination to kick out to one side or the other when launched hard (typically they have a tendency to kick out towards the passenger side if the wheels are pointed straigh forward. A good set of control arms will help to prevent this. You want the car launching straight forward, not kicking to either side. When it kicks to the side it not only waste some of the power to the ground, but hampers momentum as well, all be it a very minute amount.

With the proper tires, suspension, and a set of gears, you will be able to launch that car like you have never imagined. I could launch my 96 gt with 4.10's, et streets, and a 150 shot of nitrous off of the redline, and it didnt spin a bit, it just hooked and went.

Be forwarned though, that the more power you put down, and the better traction it gets at the drag strip, the higher your chances for coming home with a busted axle.
That makes sense.

So in my case at this point only rear control arms are needed? Upper and lower, or just lower?
Old 12/15/05, 06:10 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@December 15, 2005, 2:29 AM
That makes sense.

So in my case at this point only rear control arms are needed? Upper and lower, or just lower?
I'd say both. Might as well do 'em at the same time.

BTW, I got the UPR Pro kit(upper&lower) for around $199.
Old 12/15/05, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@December 15, 2005, 1:29 AM
That makes sense.

Go with both. I have heard that when you just go with lowers, it has a tendencey to lead to premature bushing failure because of the fact that with the lower being new and more firm, and the upper being the stock arm, more of the energy gets abosrbed by the upper arm.
Old 12/15/05, 09:53 AM
GT Member

While you're at it, get a Torque box kit, or have em' welded up.
Old 12/15/05, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Rock 326@December 15, 2005, 10:56 AM
While you're at it, get a Torque box kit, or have em' welded up.
Wouldnt be a bad idea, but I havent personally heard of anyone ripping the torque boxes out of a 94 + mustang.
Old 12/16/05, 08:05 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by joker@December 16, 2005, 12:50 AM
Wouldnt be a bad idea, but I havent personally heard of anyone ripping the torque boxes out of a 94 + mustang.
I have. I guess it really depends on how hard he'll drive it.

Quick Reply: Gear Recomendation/Question!