1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

First race. First kill.

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/05, 11:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys! Just now, this happened.

So, I was heading home, down Highway 41. It's been raining here in South Georgia recently, and I live on a dirt road. So I have to take an indirect route home untill they grate the road. (They dump clay on it.... it becomes a mess when it rains. My alternate route is sandy, so it's not a mess. )

So... anyways. I turn onto 41 and I'm accelerating to 65. And a 4-banger comes flying up on me.(I couldn't tell what it was. The badges were removed. Also, I can't tell many 4 bangers from each other. Though, it resembled a Honda Civic. Which, there's plenty of those around here) Nothing unusual so far. He musta been going 70ish. So, instead of making him slow down, I was gonna speed up. So, I hit about 75, he sped up even more and went around me.

So... I roll this around in my head for about 30 seconds. I'm a bit steamed at his recklessness. (Yes, I was technically speeding too, but cops don't get you if you're only going 10 over) I glance the rear of the car over. No identifying marks of any sort. It's got a ground effects kit on it. It's white, single fart pipe. Some funny paint job. It kinda looked like flames, I couldn't determine the colors, I only saw it was he was passing me. But it reminded me of a cross between flames, and a wave. I didn't like it. But, hey, to each his own.

So, I follow him for a bit. Not riding his behind or anything. (A good 2 seconds behind him) He SLAMS on his brakes. We're probally going the standard 65 after that. I kick it down to 3rd gear And with a mighty roar, I let him know whats about to happen to him. He guns it. I wasn't intending on passing him yet, the road was a bit too curvy for my liking at the time. I just wanted to get back into my powerband. I keep with him though as we accelerate. (I didnt even have to press the pedal 1/2 way down while he was gunning it. ) So I shift up to 4th. We're probally doing about 90 before I make my move. I take him over no problem. Once I was around him, I hit 5th gear. Gunned it once more, and I pulled incredibly hard on him. We went in a turn at about 110ish, right after I passed him (I was still in the opposite lane) It wasn't even a fair fight at all. We hit about 120 and I could tell he was still gunning it. I kept going up to about 140ish. His headlights were tiny by that time. Then I backed off. I actually passed my turnoff sometime during this.... so I had to turn around to go back home. He was nowhere to be found once I got turned around.

All in all, it was fun. It was my first race, I made certain no one else was around before I decided to take him. Just a long empty highway. I wonder what was going through his head once he heard me blip the pedal and downshift?
Old 6/5/05, 12:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Arak-Nafein@June 5, 2005, 12:40 AM
I wonder what was going through his head once he heard me blip the pedal and downshift?

[ricer]dat'z gotta be a special ultra high powered mustang. how thuh heck it beat me? i gotz da flames and "sport tuned" exaust.

Reminds me of the time I was in my dads cavalier. Stuck at a stoplight with these 4 kids in a "MaD PImpIN hONdA yO!" some fart can rust bucket. My buddy was behind me in his chevy pickup and I hear the distinct noise of a ricers exaust.

"pfffffffffffffffft"

I called my buddy and was like hey did you fart?

No I think the dude next to you wants to race.

*light turns green they peel out*

Hey Chris follow me.

I use about 75% throttle so I dont squeal then I floor it. Then my buddy does the same in his pickup keepin up with me. The poor honda got burned by a stock cavalier 2.4L and a 2000 chevy silverado 4x4.

Hondas need to learn. Never mess with americans

EDIT by mr-mstng: Please don't bypass the language filters. Thank you.
Old 6/6/05, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm glad to know that you showed that brat a little FoMoCo power but.... 140 mph!!!!! You could have lost your liscence or worse been killed. I admit sometimes I have fun beating up on people with slower vehicles who act like their fast (I dusted a Civic who tried to pass me in the right lane, he didn't stand a chance just heard the rumble of my exhaust and saw my tailights ) but that might have been pushing it. Remember you have a beautiful Bullit, would you really want to risk losing it over some jerk that you know you could whoop at the track any time any day you wanted to? Just my .02
Old 6/6/05, 08:37 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Andy has a point.....don't take this the wrong way as my concern is for your safety as well as others on the road you might not know are there....but that was a poor judgement call on your part. anything over 100mph is tunnel vision and anything can happen on a public road. It's just not worth the risk for high speed excursions like that....

I don't condone street racing despite that I have done it and still play on a rare occasion....it's not smart but it's something we car guys just can't seem to stay away from

I have street raced a lot in my time....and played with people on the highway...most of the import crowd are so stupid that all they want to do is run top end...which is dumb no matter how you look at it. When I play with people it is usually at a stoplight and I have left them behind and am finished before I hit 50-60mph...a lot less can happen under those conditions. I have made triple digit runs in the past.....I've been 140 chasing down a car with my SVO and that was on a 4 lane highway....a 2 lane road is too narrow to be playing at those speeds. I've been 175 in a Cobra Kit car on Atlanta Motor Speedway....THAT was tunnel vision and on a controlled banked track....on the road would be nearly suicide as anything could go wrong.

You have a V8 and torque....save your races for stoplights and don't waste your gas on idiots in Hondas that are too stupid to realize they are outgunned from the start and want to run triple digit speeds. We don't want to see you or your Bullitt totalled
Old 6/6/05, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beating an import ain't worth even a slightly elevated chance of serious injury
Old 6/6/05, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Thank you for your replies and concerns. I do agree, it was way too fast for racing. Even on a desolated highway in the wee hours of the morning. Don't worry, I don't intend on doing anything that fast again. I see now that young drivers and V8's do not mix. Lesson learned.
Old 6/6/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Arak-Nafein@June 4, 2005, 11:40 PM

We went in a turn at about 110ish, right after I passed him (I was still in the opposite lane) We hit about 120 and I could tell he was still gunning it. I kept going up to about 140ish.

You dont deserve a liscense or a mustang. I could personally care less if you point your car off a mountain at 100mph and rid the world of another idiot, but doing stupid stuff like this is taking other peoples lives into your own hands. Noone out there other than you deserves to die because you make stupid choices.
Old 6/6/05, 11:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by joker@June 6, 2005, 12:16 PM
You dont deserve a liscense or a mustang. I could personally care less if you point your car off a mountain at 100mph and rid the world of another idiot, but doing stupid stuff like this is taking other peoples lives into your own hands. Noone out there other than you deserves to die because you make stupid choices.
Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That is completely uncalled for :nono: How can you wish death upon someone like that? You may not like what Jim did but you shouldn't just tell them that you wish they were dead. People make stupid mistakes sometimes.

Read Jim's last post. He admitted that it was immature and says he won't do it again. He understands the risk he took and realizes the consequences that could have occurred. In my opinion that is very mature of him and he gets my full respect for that.

We all gave him positive criticism and expressed concern for his safety but did not in any way put him down. How would you feel if a family member or friend did something and somebody else came up to you and said "they deserve to die."
I don't think you would take it to well as neither would I.

I can't force you to do so, but I think you owe Jim an apology for the harsh words

Jim,
Glad to hear you understand the concern. Have a great time in your Bullit and please accept my apology for Joker's actions. We're not all like this.
Old 6/6/05, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by joker@June 6, 2005, 11:16 AM

Easy there killer. In the words of avril

"chill out. what you yellin for?"

I mean yeah he shouldn't have gone that fast but to wish him dead? He was responsible about it too though. Made sure he was alone and no traffic was around. Now if he was doing that in a school zone at 7:59 then yeah kill him. Calling him an idiot and telling him to go kill himself, not cool at all :nono: :notnice:

wow i used up my 100th post for some good for a change
Old 6/6/05, 01:13 PM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
What Joker said was a bit harsh....but in his defense, quite a large number of his family was recently in a car accident and hurt badly due to a negligent driver. I think his grandmother was pretty badly hurt and stayed in the hospital for a while as a result.

Wishing death is a bit too harsh IMO but knowing him and what he had to deal with recently I can understand his lashing out.
Old 6/6/05, 01:35 PM
GTR Member

Technically it was a little bit of playing and then he passed the ricer, it wasnt really a race.....
Joker was too harsh, he needs to cool it, that was really uncalled for.
Old 6/6/05, 02:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by svopaul@June 6, 2005, 3:16 PM
What Joker said was a bit harsh....but in his defense, quite a large number of his family was recently in a car accident and hurt badly due to a negligent driver. I think his grandmother was pretty badly hurt and stayed in the hospital for a while as a result.

Wishing death is a bit too harsh IMO but knowing him and what he had to deal with recently I can understand his lashing out.

Understood and thank you Paul! I am very sorry for the pain and suffering you have gone through Joker. I had a good friend in HS who was killed by two kids racing so I too know somewhat of the feeling (My friend swerved his SUV off the road to avoid hitting the car in his lane and hit a tree head on at about 55 to 65 mph). It is very difficult to deal with.

I do not condone street racing whatsoever in any manner, even stoplight to stoplight racing. And I completely agree that people who are caught doing it should face the stiffest of penalties, including losing their vehicle and liscence.

BUT... to wish death upon another human being is just as bad as being the one to injure someone, its just inhumane. I just think about it this way, how would you feel (and this is directed to everyone, not just Joker) if you wished something like that upon someone and then something horrible happened to them? I would feel absolutely horrible!

And joker, I know I do not know you personally at all but I have a feeling that you would not want to see someone else's family go through the same pain and suffering you are enduring. Instead of being so harsh perhaps helping others understand the danger of this trend is a better way to express our feelings for this.

I think you should start a "Take it to the track" group Joker, encouraging people not to street race. I would certainly donate.

Thanks all for listening,
Andy
Old 6/6/05, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+June 6, 2005, 11:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ June 6, 2005, 11:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That is completely uncalled for :nono: How can you wish death upon someone like that? You may not like what Jim did but you shouldn't just tell them that you wish they were dead. People make stupid mistakes sometimes. [/b]
Where did I say I WISH he were dead, I didnt. I was mearly stating that I dont care what he does as an individual because he wants to do stupid stuff that effects only him, then he has every right to do so.

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@June 6, 2005, 11:23 AM
Read Jim's last post. He admitted that it was immature and says he won't do it again. He understands the risk he took and realizes the consequences that could have occurred. In my opinion that is very mature of him and he gets my full respect for that.
Good then hopefully he has learned a valuable lesson and truly realizes the possible consequences of such actions

We all gave him positive criticism and expressed concern for his safety but did not in any way put him down. How would you feel if a family member or friend did something and somebody else came up to you and said "they deserve to die."
I don't think you would take it to well as neither would I.
Show me where I stated that "he deserves to die". I said he didnt deserve a liscense or a mustang, and with actions like these then quite frankly he dont.

I can't force you to do so, but I think you owe Jim an apology for the harsh words
Not happening, I didnt say anything like "he deserves to die" of that I "wish he were dead". He did something completely idiotic, and I stated my opinion. Dont like my opinion, fine, move on.

<!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT
@June 6, 2005, 11:23 AM
Jim,
Glad to hear you understand the concern. Have a great time in your Bullit and please accept my apology for Joker's actions. We're not all like this.
[/quote]

You dont know me so how do you know what I "am like" ? I am actually pretty easy going and easy to get along with. However I am also very frank. If you are acting like an idiot, I am gonna tell you that you are acting like an idiot instead of beating around the bush with you.

I do apologize if it sounded like I thought the guy deserved to die, or that he should die. That is not what I meant at all, not even close. I did mean that if he wants to do something like this, and kill himself, then more power to him. I believe strongly in personal freedom to do as you wish, and by god if he chooses to drive in a manner that will cause harm to himself then he has every right as a human to do so. When he statrs taking risk with others peoples lives though, it just isnt cool.
Old 6/6/05, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+June 6, 2005, 2:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ June 6, 2005, 2:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>BUT... to wish death upon another human being is just as bad as being the one to injure someone, its just inhumane. I just think about it this way, how would you feel (and this is directed to everyone, not just Joker) if you wished something like that upon someone and then something horrible happened to them? I would feel absolutely horrible! [/b]

Once again, I am sorry if that is the way you took my statement. I dont wish he would die at all, I would much perfer that he learn from his stupidity and move on, which he seems to be doing. It is HARD not to go ahead and put the gas to the floor sometimes and race on the street. I have owned mustangs for several years now, so I know exactly what it is like.

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@June 6, 2005, 2:38 PM
And joker, I know I do not know you personally at all but I have a feeling that you would not want to see someone else's family go through the same pain and suffering you are enduring. Instead of being so harsh perhaps helping others understand the danger of this trend is a better way to express our feelings for this.
You are right, I wouldnt want anyone else to have to go through what my family has been through. My statement may have been a bit harsh and to the point, but I am going to be blunt about it if you are risking other peoples lives.

What if your whole family were in a car that he hit. Would you still be quite as "nice" about things?

<!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT
@June 6, 2005, 2:38 PM
I think you should start a "Take it to the track" group Joker, encouraging people not to street race. I would certainly donate. [/quote]

There are groups like that already out here. I dont know about where you live, but around my area there is at least one track open for open racing Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Yet there are still about 25 to maybe 50 cars at the street races every Saturday. Some people just love the thrill of street racing, and will never change.
Old 6/6/05, 03:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Noone out there other than you deserves to die because you make stupid choices
This is the comment I was referring to. I understand what you are saying about him not injuring anyone else. But it still says that if he does drive in a reckless manner he is the only one that deserves to die. Maybe I am still misunderstanding this to a point but to me this still is saying in one way or another that he deserves such an end which I don't think he does.

And you're absolutely correct, I have no idea how it feels to have my entire family hit by some moron racing and yes I would certainly be angry at others for doing so but I don't think I would lash out like that, who knows, maybe I would.

And no I do not view you as a jerk or mean hearted person, its just the comment at the time I did not feel was appropriate. Thats all I was trying to get across. Just my opinion.

I really do apologize for what happened to your family and do not hold any comments against you as I hope you will not hold any of mine against me
Old 6/6/05, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

Once again, thanks to everyone for the great replies. It's good to see a place where things can be settled in a gentlemanly manner.

As for Joker, I completely understand and agree with him. If I had crashed and/or died no one would be to blame but myself. Frankly, after I posted that I began to think about the many different ways that could have turned out. I'm not gonna say anything about "blah blah blah, I was in control" or "blah blah empty roads" In fact, ANYTHING could have happened, and at that speed it's more likely to happen. I realize this now. Thankfully, I've gotten that out of my system.

On to the intimidation factor! I'll look mean and fast rather than go fast.

Yes, I have a friend who is paralyzed waste-down because of street racing. She wasn't racing, but the person who hit her was.
Old 6/6/05, 07:33 PM
GTR Member

I am glad this issue was resolved, Good Job guys
Old 6/6/05, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@June 6, 2005, 3:20 PM
This is the comment I was referring to.

Ahh ok, I understand what you are saying now. My wording on that didnt convey what I really meant to say, and I do apologize to him and everyone else.
Old 6/7/05, 06:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by joker@June 6, 2005, 10:15 PM
Ahh ok, I understand what you are saying now. My wording on that didnt convey what I really meant to say, and I do apologize to him and everyone else.

I apologize to you also Joker. I totally misunderstood what you were trying to say and I put the blinders on myself. I also apologize if I were rude or insensitive to you in any manner.
Old 6/7/05, 08:46 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apologies? No flaming to the bitter end? :shock:

I gotta be seeing things.

Quick Reply: First race. First kill.