1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

First mod

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/12, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My suggestion is springs/shocks/struts, but I haven't done any mods other than handling...
Old 9/27/12, 12:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

How about a BOOM!!!!!
Already finished with your route?!?!
Old 9/27/12, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

Already finished with your route?!?!
Day off
Old 10/3/12, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about hydraulics and 24s with spinners????? and don't forget the underglow!

Serioulsly, take some time to get to know your car as it is, then you will figure out what upgrades need to be made and in which order to make them. I had a huge list (still do) of upgrades to do to the car and I am not letting myself do much of anything for the first year. in the 9 months I have owned it, my list has changed and the order of what i wanted to do has changed also. Take your time and enjoy the addiction, as most of the guys here will attest, once you start the upgrades, they really never finish, you just keep coming up with more.
Old 10/3/12, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CMC Stallion
What about hydraulics and 24s with spinners????? and don't forget the underglow!

Serioulsly, take some time to get to know your car as it is, then you will figure out what upgrades need to be made and in which order to make them. I had a huge list (still do) of upgrades to do to the car and I am not letting myself do much of anything for the first year. in the 9 months I have owned it, my list has changed and the order of what i wanted to do has changed also. Take your time and enjoy the addiction, as most of the guys here will attest, once you start the upgrades, they really never finish, you just keep coming up with more.
This dude is right. I've had my car for two years and have yet to do any performance mods
Old 10/6/12, 05:59 PM

Here's my .02. At 16, as the OP said, it's got plenty of umph. Check into some suspension mods. Brakes will probably be your cheapest, if you don't go big name. There's some decent deals on eBay that include ceramic pads with drilled and slotted rotors. They'll keep you from the inevitable warped rotors of learning to deal with a fast car. Some middle of the road springs like H&R's until you outgrow them. Throw some exhaust on it, and by the time you've gotten those things done and get some $$ you'll be ready for gears. Gears will give you the BIGGEST single "seat if the pants dyno" boost. Hopefully this old guys opinion helps. Have fun!!!
Old 10/7/12, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Black03Mach1
Cold Air Intake +Flash Tuner combo from AM
-Relatively In expensive and adds some hp!
this brenspeed has a combo also
Old 10/7/12, 03:53 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rooky
Here's my .02. At 16, as the OP said, it's got plenty of umph. Check into some suspension mods. Brakes will probably be your cheapest, if you don't go big name. There's some decent deals on eBay that include ceramic pads with drilled and slotted rotors. They'll keep you from the inevitable warped rotors of learning to deal with a fast car. Some middle of the road springs like H&R's until you outgrow them. Throw some exhaust on it, and by the time you've gotten those things done and get some $$ you'll be ready for gears. Gears will give you the BIGGEST single "seat if the pants dyno" boost. Hopefully this old guys opinion helps. Have fun!!!
Subframe connectors or 3.73 or 4.10 gears.
Old 12/5/12, 04:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CMC Stallion

So far I've put a flowmaster American Thunder series cat-back exhaust and the AM budget CAI. I really need to tune it but not sure how considering they don't make a tuner for obd1 (unless of course I'm wrong in thinking that). Other than painting it this car is done. My friend is buying it from me when he gets home from his tour in Japan (were both marines, I'm already out much to my dismay he comes home in 2 years).

My next mustang (starting a savings account to buy an early 2000s cobra), however, I already have quite a long build list for and keep changing it here and there.
Old 12/30/12, 02:41 AM
GT Member

SR pulleys off AmericanMuscle! They're on sale for the mustang GT and installation is easy or if you don't wanna mess with it, it should only be around $80-$100. You're looking at a pretty good horsepower increase for around $220. Message me if you need any help or have questions.
Old 12/30/12, 10:14 AM

I was thinking about buying some eibach sway bars from American muscle and I was wondering if that would really help out with handling or
If I would need to install lowering springs at the same time for it to make a noticeable difference?
Old 12/30/12, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by surferG
I was thinking about buying some eibach sway bars from American muscle and I was wondering if that would really help out with handling or
If I would need to install lowering springs at the same time for it to make a noticeable difference?
Let me tell you a story.

My first modification to my car was shocks and struts, tokico blues to be exact, first off i noticed the ride was a little better, but thats it. fast foward a few months when I installed my frpp c springs. In combination with the tokicos it made my ride really firm and nice.. untill you got into a corner. With the rear wheels being 315's the rear axle walked alllllll over the place, smh. To remedy that problem a new set of J&M lcas were installed. ahhhh, now my car had a firm solid ride, and the rear did move around on me but when i took corners fast, like high way over passes, it had a ton of body roll! On went the Eibach sway bars and gone went the roll.

So in short sway bars should be one of the last suspensions mods to do.

heres my list in order
/shocks and struts
//lowering springs and cc plates
///subframe connectors
////lca's
/////sway bars.
Old 1/1/13, 05:39 PM

Thanks! I just ordered some SR Performance lowering springs and SR Performance caster camber plates from americanmuscle.com. Do you know anything about those springs or the brand in general?
Old 1/1/13, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks! I just ordered some SR Performance lowering springs and SR Performance caster camber plates from americanmuscle.com. Do you know anything about those springs or the brand in general?
Stack Racing, it is the american muscle brand of parts, havent heard much about them honestly.
Old 1/3/13, 09:13 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just Chinese parts
Old 1/5/13, 04:25 PM
GT Member

Also my iPhone was made in china or just like they says now "assembled in china"
I have the SR springs, not the best but is enough for DD. I don't have a reference for a different brand. If you are not looking for the best performance these springs are the worth for the money
Old 1/5/13, 05:22 PM

Thanks! I'm glad that people have had success with these springs. I wasn't sure about them because they were so cheap on AM.
Old 1/7/13, 06:28 PM

My car has almost 100,000 miles on it. Would it be a good idea for me to replace the shocks and struts when I install my lowering springs? If so what kind?
Old 1/7/13, 06:39 PM
Cobra R Member

My car has almost 100,000 miles on it. Would it be a good idea for me to replace the shocks and struts when I install my lowering springs? If so what kind?
YES. just get some tokicos or konis..

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...trut-Shock-Kit (the whole kit)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-strut-strt-9404.html (front)

http://www.americanmuscle.com/koni-shock-strt-9404.html (rear)

DO NOT EVEN PUT THOSE SPRINGS ON THE STOCK SHOCKS AND STRUTS. it will be a horrible ride.
Old 1/7/13, 06:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, this would be the perfect time to replace your old shocks and struts

Quick Reply: First mod