1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

different wheel sizes

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/05, 01:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really like your opinion on something im about to order my wheels and ive been looking at some Boyd coddington smoothie II rims my question is what do you guys think to 20's on the rear and 18's up front im really not sure how it will look. maybe its a stupid idea i dont know im just trying to make this car a bit different from the norm and i quite like that slopping stance however im not sure if it would suit that style of body
by the way i would also like to talk to someone away from the board about alot of tech stuff any takers? if so drop me a line at dave@wrinklybears.com

heres a pic of the wheels

Old 11/2/05, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

I wouldn't put two differance size rims on a car, definatly not with a 2 inch differance, but thats my opinion...
Old 11/2/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slaine@November 2, 2005, 2:26 PM
I would really like your opinion on something im about to order my wheels and ive been looking at some Boyd coddington smoothie II rims my question is what do you guys think to 20's on the rear and 18's up front im really not sure how it will look. maybe its a stupid idea i dont know im just trying to make this car a bit different from the norm and i quite like that slopping stance however im not sure if it would suit that style of body
by the way i would also like to talk to someone away from the board about alot of tech stuff any takers? if so drop me a line at dave@wrinklybears.com

heres a pic of the wheels

I thought about this, but with 17s and 18s. I don't think a 2 in difference will look good. Might cause rubbing issues...depending on tires.

What I'm planning on doing is having 17X9s in the front and 17X10.5s in the rear. I still want that "old school" muscle car look, so I'm planning on doing a lower profile tire in the front. So that there is a slight rake, but the rim sizes are the same. Also if you have a flat tire, then you'll have 1 tire with a different size.
Old 11/2/05, 07:18 PM
GT Member

I might do a 1 inch difference but 2 inches is way to noticable. 18 inches is all I'd go on the back anyways. 20" is too much bling. :notnice: To each his own though.
Old 11/2/05, 07:20 PM
GT Member

oops sorry- reply at the same time. And yes the that idea you have is good. with the 17's
Old 11/2/05, 07:23 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I've seen a few with 17" front/18" back that look good. Also if you are looking for that 'raked' stance there are certain spring manufactures to help you acheive that and/or getting some adjustable lower control arms for the rear. Either MM or Steeda would be an option. I plan on getting some next spring . .
Old 11/2/05, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=30634

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=30635

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?ac...e=post&id=30931

I thought this dude's ride was pretty sweet, he has 17s and 18s. If you look closely to avoid a rake he used lower profile tires in the rear. So he has 2 different sizes, but it appears level.

Here is the site I found it on:
http://forums.modulardepot.com/show...?threadid=61348 <---It's now a dead link.
Old 11/2/05, 11:07 PM
V6 Member

thanks guys i really appriciate the response, i thought the 2inch might be a bit to much i actually wanted an 18 and a 19 but unfortunately they dont do a 19 oh well. i was planning to run a lower profile in the rear anyway. there just too much choice out there!
Old 11/3/05, 05:37 PM
GT Member

That guy with the 18" on the back looks like sh t with less rubber on the back than the front. Do it right and at least put the same profile tire on.
Old 11/3/05, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RED STUD@November 3, 2005, 6:40 PM
That guy with the 18" on the back looks like sh t with less rubber on the back than the front. Do it right and at least put the same profile tire on.
Yea, I feel the same way......thought it was sweet at first, but I didn't look at the back tires.

The rear being larger and front smaller would be cool, but making them even...it's just awkward.
Old 11/3/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slaine@November 3, 2005, 12:10 AM
thanks guys i really appriciate the response, i thought the 2inch might be a bit to much i actually wanted an 18 and a 19 but unfortunately they dont do a 19 oh well. i was planning to run a lower profile in the rear anyway. there just too much choice out there!
You might have been out of luck anyways.

I was looking at my MMFF today.....I saw the Boyd Cottington Smoothie IIs, underneath the pic it said "Sizes 17,18,20 fits 1994-2005 Mustangs (20s only for 2005 model)"

The wheel pattern for the 20s wasn't for a 94-04 anyways.
Old 11/3/05, 11:01 PM
V6 Member

never noticed that about the 20's oh well looks like its going to be 18's all round, by the way my hot licks exhaust kit arrived today however in order to do what i want i need some more parts so its going to be a few weeks yet before i can fit it however i will post pics as soon as its done, once again thanks for all the input i really appriciate your opinions im trying to put together a show car and obviously other peoples opinions are important (as my personal taste can be a bit off the wall)
Old 11/5/05, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also, consider that if you get 18" cromes, that will be a bit too much bling on a it. A mustang is supposed to be a performance car, but a bling bling car... Also just my opinion...
Old 11/5/05, 02:32 PM
V6 Member

now im sorry but i must disagree with you there. I think a car can look good and still go and i dont think that chromes on an otherwise completely black car will look to much. and i know the mustang is a sports car but why does that mean that it has to stick to racing influenced styling? just curious not looking to pick a argument. regards the lower profile on the back after much consideration i have to agree with you it just doesnt look right.
Old 11/5/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't mean that you shouldn't make it look good... I just don't like the way 18's look on a mustang. they just look little too "ghetto" for my tastes... but, to each his own. IMO, I like the sleek look of 17x9 in front and 17x10.5 in back...

20's would look stoooooooooopid on any car... the only thing i'd put it on is a big SUV or Truck. Highest I would ever put on a car is 18's period...
Old 11/5/05, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not going to get involved in the what looks good debate, but also consider function.

Think about how much harder it would be to get those wheels moving, and get off the line.
Old 11/6/05, 02:17 AM
V6 Member

getting the 20's to move could be combated by gearing to a degree but i must admit that is an angle i hadnt considered, hmmm you really got me thinking now. its going to end up being a comprimise whatever i do as the car is going to tour the spanish tunning circuit so ive got to try and balance performance with wow factor and the problem is 18's are common place on seat ibiza over here so to get impact the choice is to only go bigger or try something different, personally i like 20's i think its more the how did they get them to fit on that element that i like about them. im trying to create a mix of bling (as you guys put it) and strip influence so some things will be straight off the strip whilst others will shiney shiney shiney and gimmickey. its going to be along job and ill keep you posted as it progresses (if your interested that is?)
Old 11/6/05, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

since it sounds like you want some amount of "get up and go," you deffinately shouldn't get 20's... changing gears won't change it as much. If someone with 18's, 17's or lower changes their gears as well, just that will make them push ahead of you.

Personally, once again just my .02, 20's are ugly on a mustang. They just look way too big for the wheel well and makes you only notice the wheels instead of the whole car. 18's almost do this, but at least they fit the wheel well better. IMO, 17's give the best credit to the car itself. If the only reason you'd want 18's or more is b/c everyone has them and you want to look better, then you won't be happy with how it looks in the long run. You have to buy something you like and makes you smile everytime you see it. If you get 20's for anyother reason than it's what you really wanted, you'll wish you wouldn't have wasted the money...
Old 11/6/05, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

very true words sir. the real problem i have is that being where i am i can only see other mustangs on the internet and its difficult to see how different ideas would work. All i can do is trawl the net for examples of what other people have done i cant even look at the wheels in person so it makes making choices very difficult because what looks good on the ole pc doesnt always materialise in real life. i take on board what everybody has said and it seems that the vast majority are against 20s just because of how they look let alone all the possible tech difficulties involved and i really appriciate your input you may have saved me alot of money
all the best dave
Old 11/6/05, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slaine@November 6, 2005, 1:17 PM
very true words sir. the real problem i have is that being where i am i can only see other mustangs on the internet and its difficult to see how different ideas would work. All i can do is trawl the net for examples of what other people have done i cant even look at the wheels in person so it makes making choices very difficult because what looks good on the ole pc doesnt always materialise in real life. i take on board what everybody has said and it seems that the vast majority are against 20s just because of how they look let alone all the possible tech difficulties involved and i really appriciate your input you may have saved me alot of money
all the best dave
It all goes back to what you bought the car for......performance or looks. Make sure your spending money to complete your project.

A performance car will usually work starting with mechanical and finishing with apperance. If your into racing, usually buying a huge 40lb subwoofer box shouldn't be on your mod list.

A show car will usually start modding the appearance then going to the mechanical side.

If you want a combo, just consider both options, and how it will affect the overall car.