1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

Brake switch

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/16, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake switch

I'm having problems with my brake switch, one of the wires keep melting if I hold down brake to long. Can anyone help in fixing this problem.
Old 5/28/16, 01:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are all the brake lights working?

Which one is melting, the one with power all the time or another one?

Turn signal work ok?

Hazards work ok?

Cruise control working?

If any one system is not working properly, that might be a place to start. Get a digital volt meter on the wire that is melting and check for it being grounded. Check the brake switch itself for proper function using the volt meter.

Just some ideas to start with.
The following 2 users liked this post by AzPete:
irobles (5/29/16), rpoppertdomi (6/2/16)
Old 5/28/16, 06:59 PM

I bought and switched out the brake switch thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't.. The positive wire just continues to melt on me if I hold brake down to long. I believe it's the positive wire that's getting hot and melting. I checked all brake light, signals, and hazard light while trying to figure it out and all of that works I still have yet to check the cruise control. That's my next step. Also to get the volt meter on it because lights do dim when I use brake. If I pull out brake switch fuse car works fine other then the brake lights not working.
Old 5/29/16, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Check the clearance under the dash for the wires to the switch. They could be rubbing on a bare piece of metal and grounding out.

Ohms test all the brake light wires to see if any are grounded in any way.

The brake lights go thru the turn signal switch also.....called the multi function switch....not sure but there could be an issue in the unit. Disconnect the wires to the brakelights in the harness and see if it still is bad.

Does the third brake light work good?

Are the bulbs all stock with no additional lights in the brake system?

Any other work been done on the car that could have damage a harness?
The following users liked this post:
irobles (5/29/16)
Old 5/29/16, 01:01 PM

I just checked if I was rubbing anywhere or on any bare metal and it seem too look fine. The third brake light works fine also now what's left is to use the volt meter. What am I looking for once I put the meter on?
Old 5/29/16, 01:03 PM

Also all light bulbs are stock to all lights other then the license plate lights I switched those out to led bulbs but not sure if that would have done anything to it
Old 5/29/16, 02:24 PM
Cobra Member

If you can find a plug for the tail/brake light harness.....unplug it and check for the melting wire. This might identify if the bad section is between the brake light switch and the multi function switch or from the multi functional switch back.

Remove the brake light bulbs and use the volt meter set to ohms to look for a grounded wire. You may have to get ahold of a wiring diagram to get the correct wires and know that there is nothing else in that system to give a false ground indication.
Old 5/29/16, 02:57 PM

Just wanna say thank you so much for the help and for guiding me threw this. I appreciate it so much.
Ok now I'm off to see if by unplugging the brake light would help and if not I think I might just take it to a shop because I been at this for weeks and don't want it to burn down one day because it got worse. I'm going to try this one last thing and put the meter on it and if I can't figure it out I might just have to spend the money to get it done and fixed, which I been trying to avoid.
Old 5/29/16, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

No problem....you might pull the multi function switch to see if it shows any damage or burnt contacts before you take it to a shop. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
irobles (5/31/16)
Old 5/31/16, 08:58 PM

Took the multifunction switch out and disconnected it and wire still get hot. To the shop I go this weekend. Again thanks for all the help.
Old 6/1/16, 07:03 AM
Cobra Member

Good luck....post back what they find.
Old 6/1/16, 12:59 PM

Will do. Hopefully this weekends can get it in. All details when fixed will be posted In case someone else is having the same problem hopefully I can help