1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

To ABS or not to ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/04, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad title, but I'm short on ideas.

I think the option of the ABS is $600-700 dollars. I was wondering if you RWD guys prefer the ABS or not?

The reason I ask, is I currently have ABS on my FWD car(11 yrs old). Every time I start it, I hear this annoying sound like a mono-tone buzz sound. It's a pain to listen to, and I'm not sure if it even works after 11+ years.

I'm also curious if it is more critical to RWD rather than FWD, to keep it from hydro-planing when it rains.
Old 7/15/04, 12:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I heard many people love this, ABS thing. I don't know why, but if it comes standard in Cobra's and Mach's...it must be good for something right?
Old 7/15/04, 01:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you live in a climate where it gets wet / icy, it is indespensible, especially as you need it for T/C. I couldn't do without it.

It doesn't matter whether the car is FWD or RWD, under braking all weight hits the front anyway. It is a feature that is virtually standard on new cars here.

As for the 11 yo car with ABS, the sound you are hearing is the computer checking the equipment. The abs should be working UNLESS the abs light stays ON on the dash. If it does stay on, there is a problem. It might be worth checking. Take the car onto a field or gravel, get up to about 20mph and hit the brake hard. It you hear a very fast drumming (and you do not skid!), the ABS is working.

HTH

James
Old 7/15/04, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

icy.........hmmmmm Texas........nope.

It does rain hard around Oct. two floods in 4 yrs.......98 & 02.

The reason I wondered about RWD, is because I've seen RWD's "fish tail" in rainy weather....never seen a FWD do that.

Yup....my ABS is broke. I had brake work done recently, and none of the guys could figure it out........brake fluid was fine. I told them not to worry about it as ABS is a luxury, and I will be dumping my car this fall. So spending 1 more dollar on that car is a waste.
Old 7/15/04, 02:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, the ABS light is constantly on.....I replaced the master cylinder recently and it turned off for a day or two, but it's been on since then.
Old 7/15/04, 02:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@July 15, 2004, 2:25 AM
Yes, the ABS light is constantly on.....I replaced the master cylinder recently and it turned off for a day or two, but it's been on since then.
It is all controlled by a seperate computer to the main one. If the light stays on constantly, that is usually what needs replacing. On a 11 yo car, you would expect the computer to have been changed at least once!

The RWD's fishtail in rainy weather because the rear wheels are "pushing" the car, so the rear wheels are trying to break loose. On Fwd cars, the wheels are "pulling" the car so you do not get the same effect. I have only seen RWD cars fishtail under heavy acceleration. The beauty of RWD is the car is easier to control if you go into a slide etc (and more fun when mucking about!). I also think they are more stable when cornering. Look at BMW, their handling on a road car is second to none, Why? RWD!
Old 7/15/04, 09:11 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Modern ABS systems can bring you to a stop almost as quick as non-ABS equiped cars. But, with ABS your wheels won't lock up. In an emergency situation, you might not have the piece of mind to skillfully operate non-ABS brakes effectively. Obviously I feel ABS is a good option.
Old 7/15/04, 09:53 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I say go with ABS, the only reason not to is if you are a hardcore drag racer and will be doing alot of brake stands
Old 7/15/04, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by scothew@July 15, 2004, 9:56 AM
I say go with ABS, the only reason not to is if you are a hardcore drag racer and will be doing alot of brake stands
However, you can turn it off if you like to do that kinda stuff.

Markus
Old 7/15/04, 12:20 PM

The only thing that stinks about the ABS is Traction Control is tied to as an option. I hate the traction control its the worst idea in a Mustang, if you shift hard in second and get rubber the Traction Control turns on and will bog the engine and could possibly shut down.

From (from reading and experience) what I understand when you turn the traction control off the ABS is still on all the time.

I say get it the ABS is great and you can always turn off the Traction Control. And if the traction control bothers you as much as it does me there is a way of by passing the computer. I've seen it advertised on the Mach 1 registry.
Old 7/15/04, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

So if you turn off the Traction Control, the ABS stays on constantly?
Old 7/15/04, 03:31 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
ABS Is always on. You can turn traction control off easily though. smangs, how do you go about turning it off? No switch or anything that i've ever seen. Maybe by pulling the ABS fuse.
Old 7/15/04, 10:23 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by scothew@July 15, 2004, 5:34 PM
ABS Is always on. You can turn traction control off easily though. smangs, how do you go about turning it off? No switch or anything that i've ever seen. Maybe by pulling the ABS fuse.
I think you're right. Pulling the fuse should do it.
Old 7/16/04, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Obviously after seeing all the choices ABS is a more common option.....especially with me wanting the premium option.
Old 7/16/04, 01:33 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Dan+July 15, 2004, 10:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 15, 2004, 10:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-scothew@July 15, 2004, 5:34 PM
I think you're right. Pulling the fuse should do it. [/b][/quote]
I don't fancy pulling the fuse that powers the computer that runs the brakes.......
Old 7/16/04, 08:27 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy+July 16, 2004, 3:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jgsmuzzy @ July 16, 2004, 3:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@July 15, 2004, 10:26 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-scothew
@July 15, 2004, 5:34 PM

I think you're right. Pulling the fuse should do it.
I don't fancy pulling the fuse that powers the computer that runs the brakes....... [/b][/quote]
Me neither but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. B)
Old 7/17/04, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

i dont think ABS is an option on anything but a V6 now. an in order to get TC you have to have ABS. but you can hit a switch to turn off TC. and if you are trying to do huge powerslides or something pull the emergency brake. you wont miss ABS untill you need them. and then its too late. and what 600 bucks??? 10 a month?
Old 7/17/04, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've found Premium GTs with no ABS w/IUP they run 25K MSRP. I think ABS comes with traction control, the package is $600-700. That's why the MSRP was higher in 03, ABS was standard on GT premiums. I could be wrong......I'm sure Brad's site has all the answers.

Also does the insurance offer a rebate w/ABS? That might be a difference maker too.

I'm still hearing mixed things on ABS....some yes.......some no.
Old 7/17/04, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mestizo@July 17, 2004, 5:59 PM
I've found Premium GTs with no ABS w/IUP they run 25K MSRP. I think ABS comes with traction control, the package is $600-700. That's why the MSRP was higher in 03, ABS was standard on GT premiums. I could be wrong......I'm sure Brad's site has all the answers.

Also does the insurance offer a rebate w/ABS? That might be a difference maker too.

I'm still hearing mixed things on ABS....some yes.......some no.
That is correct,TC was standard on 03's and and a $800 option on 04's. It would make a little difference on your insurance if it has ABS.
Old 7/18/04, 08:34 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by 04TorchredGT@July 15, 2004, 12:23 PM
I hate the traction control its the worst idea in a Mustang
no, traction control like ABS is one of Ford's better ideas for the mustang. Unfortunately the switch doesn't have a memory (but you can always adapt).

I fully reccomend it myself, it is an invaluable safety device, especially for those who aren't familiar with the particularities of mustang handling (rear suspension woes).

Quick Reply: To ABS or not to ABS?