1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

95 GT starting up problem ** PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/05, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hello all, I am in dire need of a solution for my 5-speed 95 GT. I posted this a while back but never got a real solid answer or suggestive answer to my question. As the title suggests, I have a problem sometimes when I try to start my 95 GT up. I will try to give a good description of what happens without writing a book.

This is the situation, I put the keys in the ignition and turn the key; the engine cranks over, but doesn't start. Also sometimes when I'm driving or at a stop light it will just cut off and not start back up for a few minutes.

For instance, last week I was driving down i-295 here in VA, and suddenly I see the tact needle drop to zero. I took the car out of gear and popped it back into gear to see if it would crank up, but it wouldn't, I tried at least 4 or 5 times while I was slowing down. After I pulled onto the shoulder and called my mechanic and told him, he called his tow truck to come get me.

About 2 minutes before he got there, I tried to start my car up, and she cranked right up. Then after he had picked me up and drove me to the shop and unloaded my car, I was going to move her inside the shop and guess what, the car wouldn't start.

She has been in the shop all week being examined by the mechanics to no avail. Now a brief history of the problem.

I had her in the shop about 3 weeks ago having the fuel pump changed because that's what they thought it was. However that has not solved the problem. They also have changed the relay module that controls the fuel pump, cooling system, etc (I forget the correct name for it), but that has not solved the problem either.

My car was in the shop until yesterday afternoon, and the mechanics could not get the car to act up on them and don't have any clues as to what it could be.

One more thing that I have noticed (not sure if it has anything to do with the problem), but I can tell immediately whether the car is going to start or not, because if its not going to start, the tach needle will not move at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. I am so gosh-darn frustrated right now with the car that I feel like trading it in, but I know the solution is the simplest thing in the world. Also, I am taking it to another shop Monday morning, hopefully they can figure out what's wrong. Thanks for your time and help.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that there is a car alarm on the car, but I took it out tonight because I though it may be causing the problem, but obliviously its not.

Marc D.
xxl2ockl3ottomxx@comcast.net
Old 3/25/05, 11:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, I will ask some people and see if i can get you a answer, good luck
Old 3/26/05, 09:21 AM

Cool thanks, anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 3/26/05, 07:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

have you checked the plugs wires, rotor caps? try replacing the fuel filter. check all your fuses. see if one is loose. my sisters jetta had a fuse that was loose and it would lose contact and would turn over but not start.
Old 3/26/05, 07:21 PM

I have check the plug wires and none of them are loose, i may buy a new set of wires and plugs and change them to confirm it not them. i am going to them change the fuel filter when i take the car in. I check the fuses none of them looked loose, but i will check again. Thanks for your help.
Old 3/26/05, 07:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

did the shop pull the codes from the car?? the 94-95 computers are a pain and are more sensitive than the other model years. check vaccum hoses. could be everyones favorite the O2 sensors. had one go bad on my 86GT and i would not idle and would die when the car was restarted hot.
Old 3/26/05, 07:37 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I had a kinda similar problem with one of my cars.

I cleaned up the idle air controller and changed the fuel filter.

With your car, the symptoms sound a little wonkier, with the car stalling on you on the highway, etc.

I would check out the fuel pressure regulator as well,
Old 3/27/05, 11:12 AM

Cool, will put that in the message i send to the mechanic. Thanks again.
Old 3/28/05, 08:21 AM
GT Member

don't clean the IAC valve, replace it.
Old 3/28/05, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

I would almost guarantee it is the idle air controller. I had nearly the exact same issue with my '98 GT. I cleaned it once, but it didn't take very long until it started doing it again. I finally bought a new one. It was cheap if I remember correctly, somewhere around $20-30. It seems to be a relatively common problem.

One more thing, if it won't start, I would take a screw drive, wrench, etc. and give the IAC a swift tap as a temporary solution to unstick the plunger.
Old 3/29/05, 05:45 PM

it is hard to change iac? would i be able to do it myself?
Old 3/29/05, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think the IAC would cause it to die driving down the interstate.
Old 3/30/05, 05:06 AM
V6 Member

look at the igntion switch !
Old 3/30/05, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

the IAV is located on the side of the throttlebody. advance lists the part for like 50 bucks on their website. heres a pic showing what it looks like. you can clean it with carb cleaner. if it helps the problem then i would replace it.
Old 3/30/05, 10:24 PM

OK well get this, I took it to a different mechanic yesterday afternoon to take a look at it. Well he called me back this morning and said that it was the coil because the coil should be pushing out nearly 14 volts and it took a meter reading on it and it was only pushing out 4 volts. So he changed the coil and said while he was in there it would be best to change the spark plugs, wires, and he changed the cap and rotor.

Totaled up about $475, which I think is a little much, but at this point I really don't care; I just want my car back. So I got a buddy of mine to give me a ride up there in his lightning (which I had never rode in before, and it was awesome) to pick my car up. I drove back to his house to bull-sheeted around for a little while and then left to go home.

Well, when I was getting ready to leave I started up and she hesitated a little bit, but I figured it may just need a little driving. Well I went to pick the ball-n-chain up and she drove fine, got all the way back to the bowling alley (on the other side of town) to talk to some friends; I bs'd there for an hour to two, go out and get in the stang, turn the key, AND IT WON'T START, SO ITS STILL NOT FIXED!!!!

so its back to the drawing board, anyone know people that are genius's about 94-95 GT's or someone at Ford that may be of some help? thanks for your time, I just needed to vent a little bit.

Marc D.
xxl2ockl3ottomxx@comcast.net
Old 3/30/05, 10:49 PM
V6 Member

One last Time. Check the ignition switch and go get your money back!!!!!
Old 3/31/05, 07:19 AM
GT Member

and the iac valve.
Old 3/31/05, 08:02 AM

is the ignition switch going to turn the engine over but not start up? where is the ignition switch?
Old 3/31/05, 09:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

he's talking about the switch you put your key in. if it goes bad its not making good contact and can prevent the car from starting. if it acts up again. try jiggling the key while turning it and see if it starts. when he checked the coil, the switch could have been causing it to show a low voltage. and after he replaced it and started the car he could have turned the key exactly right and it started fine showing the proper voltage
Old 3/31/05, 10:42 AM

ahhh.... i see... i will call the mechanic to tell him. thanks.

Quick Reply: 95 GT starting up problem ** PLEASE HELP ME