04 gt cam questions - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

04 gt cam questions

Old 8/10/17, 08:02 AM   #1

04 gt cam questions

I'm at a point with bolt ons where cams are the next step. My stang has virtually every bolt on caí, upper plenum/throttle body, pullies, full exhaust w/long tubes 3.73 gears and a bama tune. I'm mildly content with the curent set up but want to add cams for the loopy idle and some more power/rpms. But I've read quiet a few posts of people doing cams on the 2v and coming out with almost no power increase??? Like less than 5 on a dyno. Not that I care too much about dyno numbers but def don't want to drop $1000+ into my car just for a loopy idle and 5 hp. I've read other posts where guys are getting closer to 30 hp which I don't really expect to get that much... is there a trick to the cam install or is it part of the whole set up? Btw I still have the stock inake manifold. Any info would be much appreciated especially if anyone has done cams and speak on the experience. Thanks
coryc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 8/10/17, 01:25 PM   #2
Post *****

The 00 thu 04 were terrible for mods in that dollars for hp are way off from what you would think. When I was rebuilding my 2k engine I looked into all sorts of mods but shot them all down because it was way to much cash for the few hp I would have gained for the money. Cams tend to change where the power band is.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/10/17, 03:30 PM   #3

So maybe forget the cams and just save up for forced induction? Or maybe just sell my current stang and upgrade to a newer one...
coryc1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/11/17, 06:07 AM   #4
Post *****

I would say yes to either one. But would lean more towards upgrading to a newer year. The 05 + GT's are so much better than the previous year GT. Huge improvement.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote