1994-2004 V-8 GT, GTS, Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra

'02 Mustang GT Flywheel hickup!

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/05 | 02:40 PM
V6 Member

After some time saving some money I went ahead and did what was next on my "to do" list, a lighter flywheel and spec II clutch. All went well and no problems until I was standing beside my car one day and heard a chirp noise. Wasn't sure what it was, but was not there before the Flywheel and Clutch upgrade. It was very noticable and easily heard from a good 10ft away. The noise goes away if the clutch is pressed in at least an inch or more. I have had the flywheel looked at twice and each time they claimed they have fixed it, unfortunately they have not and my tolerance is running low. I am asking if anyone may know what may cause this chirp noise or if it standard going to a lighter flywheel. Also, while sitting and in neutral, the car has a very "windy" sound to it but, again, if the clutch is pressed in it becomes much more quite.

Sorry for the long post. I hope that is enough info, if not I will post more upon any question you need to know.

Current Mods:
2002 Mustang GT: Cold Air Intake, Plenum, 75mm Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Backs, Mac H-Pipe, Pulleys, Chip, Thermostat, Lowering Springs, and Short Shifter.
Old 2/14/05 | 02:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

It honestly sounds like the throw out bearing more than anything. I'll try to get svopaul towards this thread as he has installed numerous spec clutches (including mine).
Old 2/14/05 | 02:58 PM
Service Manager

Sounds like a throwout bearing...but without hearing it I am only guessing based on your description. When you push the clutch pedal it puts pressure on the throwout bearing and 99% of the time when the noise goes away it indicates that to be the culprit. There may be nothing wrong with it other than the noise or it could be a bad one. I have had a couple of clutches lately have no noise upon installation and not long after develop a noise in the throwout bearing even though nothing is mechanically wrong with it.
Old 2/14/05 | 03:23 PM
V6 Member

So basically you think it isnt the flywheel but the clutch instead if I understand you right. I will let them know next time I speak with them if they have checked the Throw Out Bearing.

I am still, though, leaning toward just removing either the flywheel or both due to the fact that my gearshift acts like a speaker for the flywheel vibration it sends. I just cant handle the "windy" noise and my gear shift raddling so bad. I agree that it would be something much easier to explain if you could hear it personally.

I will do some more reading the forum also to see if anyone else has had a similar problem like this. Thanks for the quick response.