1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Yay! Completed my First Mod!

Search this Thread

Old 7/28/06, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yay! Completed my First Mod!

It only took two years to get a mod done on my car.......

But I installed a K & N FIPK Gen II kit....

I walked around to the front of my car after installing it and I couldn't believe how much air was being sucked in! I kinda feel bad I let my car suffer like that for so long...

Anyway, here's an after pic....ignore the dirt! Today and tomorrow is the new "Detail Paul's Car" event. I'm just waiting for some new headlights to come UPS today. After they get installed ( and the sun goes down a little! Geez, it's HOT and HUMID out there today!), it's bye-bye dirt time.

If anyone wants to volunteer to help out at the two day event, I'm taking applications.....
Attached Thumbnails Yay!  Completed my First Mod!-k-n.jpg  
Old 7/28/06, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks good. What headlights did you get? Are they OEM or something aftermarket like HID?
Old 7/28/06, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just got smoked lenses...the lenses that are on the car have small cracks in them, so they are all fogged over and need to be replaced....Plus I think the smoked lenses will make her look a little more sinister...
Old 7/29/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

WOW thats a dirty car you got there!!!

Now was that mod as hard as you thought it would be?

You will need WD40 for removing the headlight sliders (I did), simply slide the 2 sliding bars out and pull headlight towards you. It was a little unnerving how hard I had to tug on them before the grommits let up.
Old 7/29/06, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Actually, the headlights were super, super easy! My retaining bars slid right out and the new lenses popped in, no problem.

As for the new air intake...it was pretty straight forward. The directions were very good and it took me about an hour to do. I think it would have taken less time if a.) I actually did a mod before and b.) it wasn't so flippin' HOT that day! And it doesn't look too good for the rest of the week either....99 on Wednesday with high humidity levels!

As for the dirty car....wellllll...I didn't get that done today. Tomorrow I'm going to hit my wife's car first, then I'm going to really detail mine. I got some engine degreaser, so I'm going the whole nine yards. I'll do the outside and engine bay tomorrow, the interior on Monday morning, I think. It's really kind of embarrassing, actually!

I'll clean her up and get some more shots....
Old 7/30/06, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PaulF
Actually, the headlights were super, super easy! My retaining bars slid right out and the new lenses popped in, no problem.
Maybe all that dirt was acting as a lubricant.

Need to get to the interior of mine tomorrow. I have abused it lately with coke cans rattling everywhere and coffee stains on the carpet.
The only problem is once I start everyone brings their cars round and I end up doing them all.
Starting to detail my friends cars at $75 a pop. Exterior wash and polish/wax and full interior clean and protect and full wheel works. Rain x on windows and antifog on interior windows, full shampoo. I think they are getting a great deal. Plus it puts money in my pocket, 6 hours a car but i do it all the time with the 3 cars I have here so why not make some money.
Old 7/31/06, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
Maybe all that dirt was acting as a lubricant.

I wouldn't doubt it!

Man, I can't wait to get her clean....I'm going to have to get everything done early tomorrow so I can start scrubbing her down before work.....
Old 8/2/06, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welllll, despite the heat today (feels like 105, the Weather Channel tells me...feels like 150 to me!!!!) I HAD to get out and get her somewhat clean...

In cleaned the brake dust off the wheels and hit them with some tire shine, then degreased the engine with Gunk gel spray (AWESOME!!!) and it almost looks like a whole new engine. Then I broke out the micro-fiber sponge and the Mr. Clean Auto Dry and got to work.

At first, I was going to really get into it, but the heat is just making me wilt today, so I just did a quick job to get most of the dirt off. SOOOOO much better!

We're supposed to get some T-storms Thursday night, so the high on Friday is only supposed to be in the low to mid 80's. So I'll finish her outside, then get to work on the interior.
Old 8/5/06, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

What did you use on the wheels for the brake dust? I use some product by Turtle wax I think, comes in a neon yellow/green spray bottle. That stuff works awesome. Will find the name and post.
Old 8/5/06, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll have to double check it, but I believe it was called RX from Mother's....cleaned it right up! I used a brush to get off the heavy stuff, but it came right off.

Super easy!

BTW, it's Mother's FX, not RX....I'm going to do my wheels again this weekend, so I'll take some before and after shots, so you can see the difference
Old 8/9/06, 08:27 PM

hey im going to be putting the same mode on my car, did you install it yourself, if so any advice, on how to or what not to do
Old 8/9/06, 09:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd suggest two things: 1. Read and re-read the directions and 2. take your time.

The one thing that I did have a little trouble with was getting the second bolt (the one closest to the firewall) back into the a/c compressor housing. You have to take the bottom two bolts out so you can secure the heat shield to it. The first bolt slid right in, no problem, but the second I couldn't get all the way seated.

The reason was because the opening on the heat shield brace didn't quite match up at first and I was really fighting it to get the bolt back in. As it turns out, all I needed to do was flex the front of the heat shield a little and it lined right up and the bolt fell in, no problems.

After I got everything installed and did the initial start up to test the system, I shut the engine down and checked all the fasteners to make sure they were tight. Then I took it for a pretty good test drive, gave it some speed on I-95 (about 85-90...the road was clear and I couldn't help myself!) and then brought it home and re-checked all the fasteners again.

Ok, I was a little **** about the fasteners, but it was my first mod and I wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting an extension for your ratchet, if you are going to use one, which I would also recommend. That second bolt on the a/c compressor was a tight fit for my ratchet. Doable, but an extension would have made life easier.

All in all, it was a pretty easy mod and you'll notice the difference immediately when you step on the gas.

My X-Cal tuner from Doug at Bamachips.com is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, hopefully the UPS guy will get to my house prior to me having to go to work!
Old 8/10/06, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Expect it to take longer than you think. If you think it will take an hour allow three. What I am trying to say is dont start if you need to be somewhere, start early morning when you have nothing to do for the rest of the day. Oh and make sure you have a few beers handy.
The CAI was an easy mod for me and didnt take long, however my exhaust took me several hours to change due to limited access under the car and iron oxide problems. My chase lights were easy also but took me half an hour before I figured out the wiring.
All mods are easy enough as long as you properly prepare and you fully understand what you need to do.
Old 8/10/06, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Nice mod, but dude!....get yourself a bottle of Greased lightning degreaser from like pepboys or something ($3.99) and hit that engine bay now! your car will thank you
Old 8/10/06, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

LOL...I know...and I did! I bought Gunk gel spray right after these pictures and gave her a hose down...Looks like a brand new engine now!
Old 8/10/06, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tricky02GT
What I am trying to say is dont start if you need to be somewhere, start early morning when you have nothing to do for the rest of the day. Oh and make sure you have a few beers handy.
Absolutely right! God forbid something happens and you need to be somewhere and can't make it...like work. Well, maybe that's a bad example...

Of course a few beers before work could make things much more interesting!
Old 8/10/06, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

did mine this past saturday - and armor all the rubber tubing and housings (protects from heat/cracking)

Old 8/10/06, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, that looks awesome! Nice work!
Old 8/19/06, 02:57 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
michael... that is one BEAUTIFL engine bay
Old 8/19/06, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
did mine this past saturday - and armor all the rubber tubing and housings (protects from heat/cracking)

Very nice indeed.

Quick Reply: Yay! Completed my First Mod!