1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Water Temp vs Head Temp unit

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/21, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water Temp vs Head Temp unit

In my 2000 Mustang v6 Convertible the engine was replaced with a newer engine. Ford discontinued the water temperature sending unit in 2001 and went to a head temperature sending unit. My temp gauge does not read, the gauge is good due to the on board gauge test. It appears the wire has been cut and spliced and shortened for some reason. If i plug the wire into the head temp unit will it operate the temp gauge in my dash, since there is no water temperature sending unit that i could find (Discounted), unless i missed it. With the the wire disconnected my OBDII scanner reads water temp sensor high circuit. My electric fan stays on all the time when the engine is running. What is the best way to fix this?

Regards

Last edited by Old Wrench; 7/19/21 at 07:29 PM.
Old 7/27/21, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its' been 8 days now and no response. When a car is in need of repair, it needs to be repaired. The vast knowledge in this forum i believe someone would have known to plug in the wire or not. Not hard i will be looking for another forum that can answer my questions. Thanks'

Regards
Old 7/28/21, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Not that you'll read this, given you're leavin', but if I don't know the answer, what would you have me do? Extend to others as well. Further, somehow, maybe I missed this thread? Maybe you bump if it's urgent, we'll understand? Just sayin' sir. But that's ok, you go on and exit, we'll miss ya, but dang, we're sorry. Well, I am, anyway, even if the 2000 v6 isn't my particular forte...

That said, let me try it now that I'm aware (for whatever reason missed this thread) and let's see what happens.

You're mixing model years and asking something that generally doesn't happen. But seems that can be easily fixed, if the only thing swapped was the engine and not the computer/harness:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+/+sensor,4748

And then find the plug or make one and stick it in there. It goes right on the same outlet as the burper pipe of the 3.8. You can replace the burper pipe with your 2000 v6's and tada, solved. Ignore the head temp unit., just leave it unplugged as that's not what your car does, and it won't bother it one bit. There we go, one 2000 Mustang v6 setup, complete.

Now, the problem is you had someone screw up the wiring. If that was recent, and it was a shop, they *owe you the fix* and take it back. If it's not recent and you've been running around like that for a while, or it's something you acquired like this, then it's on you, and that means you're sourcing a new pigtail and splicing it in to fix the problem. Time for a scrapyard run.

And of course, all that is assuming that the mixed up wiring job didn't mess up the computer or gauges in the first place, as it's entirely possible.

I hope that does help, assuming you came back to read it. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Last edited by houtex; 7/28/21 at 10:54 AM.