1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/04, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with the seat belts getting tangled and not retracting properly? How do you guys keep them from getting like this? I had to take it to the dealership for them to fix it and 1 day later they are screwed again. Its annoying.
Old 12/5/04, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Everyday!

Seems like the belt is always popping out of the shoulder guide....

Sorry I don't have anything that will help you though....I'm interested to know if anyone has any ideas as well!
Old 12/5/04, 09:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine doesn't like to retract lately. I don't know what is going on. And that shoulder thing? Useless!!
Old 12/6/04, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Yup... mine does it all the time.

And seatbelts ARE covered no matter what.. even if the warranty is up. Some dealerships *cough* mine *cough* were trying to tell me it wasn't covered. They are.. trust me.

You have to "follow back" when you put you seatbelt back and "follow it forwrd" when you go to wrap it around you.

The shoulder thingie is useless, I agree.. just have your other hand back there guiding it, so it won't tangle up.

This has been a Mustang problem for YEARS.
Old 12/6/04, 01:21 PM

gosh its nice to hear we all are having the same issues with the seatbelt. that shoulder thingy on the upper back of the seat is a pain in the rear ! the belt never stays in there and tangles? oh my. mine never retracts and if i dont watch when i get out of the car it gets slammed in the door. (the seatbelt does)
grrrrr.....
Old 12/6/04, 02:46 PM
GT Member

LOL, same thing here...
Old 12/8/04, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Count me in.
Old 12/12/04, 09:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if we could find a suitable replacement shoulder guide where the belt would not pop out we would have the problem solved. Mine does not retract properly either. 1998 Mustang 3.8L Alantic Blue.
Old 12/17/04, 04:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same here! proper Mustang problem it seems! (like water dripping in when you crack the window just a little bit!)
Old 12/17/04, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Amy V6,

I noticed you mentioned that faulty seatbelts are covered no matter what. Is there some documentation or is there any advice you can give me to how you made this case to the dealer??

My brother's seatbelt latch on his 2000 Mustang will not lock tightly and it has him concerned from a safety standpoint. Can you reply or send me a PM with any assistance?

Thank you sincerely
Old 12/18/04, 04:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by rm2000@December 17, 2004, 4:52 PM
Amy V6,

I noticed you mentioned that faulty seatbelts are covered no matter what. Is there some documentation or is there any advice you can give me to how you made this case to the dealer??

My brother's seatbelt latch on his 2000 Mustang will not lock tightly and it has him concerned from a safety standpoint. Can you reply or send me a PM with any assistance?

Thank you sincerely
I wish I did have some documentation for it.

My mom used to work at Regent Court (one of the main head cheese Ford Buildings behind World Head Quarters) she worked in the cafeteria and got to talk to a lot of Ford Big Wigs.

She used to make lunch for Jim O’Connor (vice president for marketing, sales and service) and got into talking to him about my Mustang and the seatbelt issue and how my dealership tried giving me a hard time about it not being covered.

He said the dealership is basically full of poo and that it is covered under Ford, reguardless. It's a safety issue and all safety issues are covered. I think he called the dealership to and informed them about it.

Sooooooo.. I'm thinking it's covered for everyone And hopefully not just me and being able to throw big names around like that.

These days.. the dealership knows who I am when I pull up and don't give me any trouble Had to go in there before because of my 16" rims have caps on them and the clear coat was coming off of 2 of the caps. They changed all 4 of them

The dealerships don't like dealing with seatbelts because it's a pain in the hiney.. most times they have to take out the moulding n' all to get to the problem.

If I find any actually documentation for it.. I'll post up about it. My mom no longer works at Regent Court and Jim O' Connor is retiring the end of this year... so dunno what I can get from them.

My dad might be able to find something about it though.
Old 12/24/04, 08:34 AM
Cobra R Member

If you do not mind reaching way back, just remove those eyelets from the seats. They are the ugliest interior component IMO. :notnice:
Old 12/24/04, 01:57 PM

You know, I wonder if an appropriately-sized piece of black hose or flexible tubing, slipped over one half of the guide through the "s" slot, then pulled back over the other half, would fix this? It seems like the problem is the seat belt slipping out of the guide.
Old 1/27/05, 02:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Its a safety recall,give dealership this recall #

99S26 OCT 99 Recall - Safety Belt Retractor Inspection/Replacement
Old 1/27/05, 03:36 PM
GT Member

The only problem I have is my passenger has somehow found a way, that everytime he exits the vehicle, the seatbelt escapes from that black part on the head rest. When I let him drive he somehow does it to the drivers side too! ...However no matter where I sit, I never have a problem with it staying where its suppost to!
Old 1/28/05, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

i heard about that recall too... my 99 does all the stuff they said it did (like sometimes not even being able to put it on because it WONT come out of the thing) soooo.... i took it into the dealer... they pulled some number off of my door, and told me "sorry, you're not in the recall batch"

hah losers. So yeah, they never fixed anything, i'm in the same boat as all of you, darn things never retract, i'm constantly slamming them in my door. And then those odd times when it wont even come out... takes like 5 minutes to get it out, but that doesn't happen TOO much.

I should keep in mind that the seatbelts are always under warranty. hmmm.
Old 1/29/05, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

They gave me the same run around with the 99+ recall. Sorry, you're not a part of it since you own a 2001.

I explained to them that the interior had little to no change from 99-04, so the seatbelts should be accountable through all 5 years. They looked at me like I was speaking in tongues.

Jim O'Connor recently retired though But I'm sure there's some way of getting info.
Old 3/24/05, 09:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same problem.....what I am going to do, is give it a coat of Armor All wax, and see it that would lube up that wheel in there, I think that will work. If you test drive a new one, the seatbelts are alway slick and shiney....I think they might just be dirty.
Old 3/24/05, 01:37 PM
GT Member

as tom said above its a saftey recall i took it to the dealership and they replaced the belt for free. no problems since they've done that
Old 3/28/05, 06:28 PM
I'm people, and I like.

My girlfriend just told me that her seatbelt wont retract. first thing i did was go on TMS to get info.
Thanks a lot guys and gals (especially Amy). This is truly the greatest Mustang site in the world! :w00t:

She has a '99 Silver Mustang
Going to tell her that it is a recall and that her delearship should fix it for free, if they start whinning about it, i'll tell her to tell them that it is a safety issue, so they have to do it for free. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Seat Belts