1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Need more HP!

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/05 | 09:11 PM

I am getting a Yellow v6 mustang here in a couple of months (my first mustang ever! I am stoked!), but I don't know much about anything. I plan on modifying it with possibly a new engine and tranny (converting to a manual). Are there any better ways to go about boosting the horsepower it has substantially without spending that much cash
Old 1/17/05 | 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmmmm. First off, congrats on the stang! I too started with a v-6, and I also had dreams of making it a 5 spd, or supercharging it, or just making it FAST! I realized that it would be much easier/cheaper to just trade it in on a GT. If you want a 5 spd, do NOT buy auto. I made that mistake and regretted it for a long time. If you're just after a little extra pep, go for a nice cat-back exhaust, a K&N air filter, and some underdrive pulleys. I'm sure some of the v-6 gurus will be here soon to give you some more ideas, but I do the best I can. Good luck, and happy stanging!! :headbang: :drive:
Old 1/18/05 | 12:08 PM
V6 Member

Well, one thing I can tell you from my experience is that making more power in the V6 takes a good bit of money. I don't think there's many cheap ways about it. The cheapest best bang you could get is nitrous oxide. I think venom makes a pretty goof proof kit. I've never had any experience with them, but it looks pretty good.
Superchargers cost $3k + or you could get some ported heads/intakes/cam from RPM mustangs, Super six motorsports, morana V6 racing, and I think Need-4-Speed has them too. You should try 3.8 Mustang, they have a lot of info that would be helpful.
Old 1/18/05 | 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Just commenting... this is my baby he is buying... my '05 GT will be here soon!

anyway though, i think this is a way better pic of Jim's soon to be new V6
Old 1/19/05 | 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

intakes are a good way to start off. so far, all ive done is replace the stock air filter in mine with a K&N air filter. its VERY noticeable on cold mornings, plus it accellerates a bit faster higher up in the rpm band. after just replacing the intake, get an entire cold air intake (CAI). this will allow air to flow through a polished tube faster into the throttle body. its simple stuff to install. ebay is great for stuff like that. doesnt matter if you go with the $200 or $75 CAI, they both do the same thing. PM me if you want some good sites to buy online from.

Next, exhaust. dual exhaust are helpful for a little extra power. maybe 5-10 hp plus a much better sound. keep in mind, do not get an exhaust larger than. 2.5 inches big, otherwise you will lose back pressure and actually lose horsepower/torque.

then come the pulleys, replace the pulleys to shift some of the hp thats devoted to accessories like the water pump and air conditioning. usually if you go with a 15%-20% pulley, you wont notice a change in the operation of the AC or water pump. DO NOT DO THIS if you have high end stereo equipment in your car.

Gears are also helpful. they will get you going a lot quicker. chances are you have 3.23 gears right now, 3.73 is a good way to go for better acceleration and good MPG. you can go to 4.10 but your highway MPG will go down the poop chute.

on a side note, when i first joined sometime in 2003, i knew nothing about mustangs. thanks to all the mods and long time members on this forum for teaching me all this.

Jim, this is a great site to learn from. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask or send a PM
Old 1/19/05 | 06:33 PM

Thanks for all the info. so far. It has been absolutely wonderful, I am starting to get ideas now, that are more realistic than my original plans I really appreciate all the ideas. What about a turbocharger though? is it even possible
Old 1/19/05 | 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

emilee, in that picture it looks like your windows are tinted. if so, what % are they and how much did they cost?
Old 1/19/05 | 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

nope they aren't tinted. they should be though! lol. B)
Old 2/5/05 | 09:21 AM
V6 Member

hey does anyone know about those chips (resisters) they sell on ebay that are supposed to give huge horsepwr jump - ?
Old 2/5/05 | 09:23 AM
V6 Member

oh yea, congrats on the car......love yellow......you need to join the yellow mustang registry......big yellow car show in las vegas in may.....
Old 2/6/05 | 05:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Those chips on Ebay are apparently bogus. I posted about them a while ago and the suggestions were that they didn't give any where near as much power as they advertise. Some people had complained that they lost power.
Old 2/6/05 | 12:54 PM
GTR Member

The "chips" are $0.50 in the shops, steer well clear of then, all they do is make your car run rich, damage the engine and cost you a load in fuel