1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Help: Installing Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/06, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help: Installing Dual Exhaust

I'm a resident of the Birmingham, AL metro area and I am looking for a place to install my GT takeoff dual exhaust. I've called around from the few places that Google provides me and pretty much all of them are charging $250 or more. Some of the guys I've talked to sound like they've never done it before. Obviously, I want to spend as little as I can for someone who knows what they are doing. Do any of you have any places or contacts that you could suggest?

Also, I found one place that will install for $226 but insists that I need a 190 dollar H-pipe. Do I need an H-pipe (I've heard that I don't but I'm clearly not knowledgable).

Thanks!
Old 6/28/06, 11:13 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, the problem is, you currently have a Y pipe coming out of your headers. In order to make the Dual mate up, they will have to modify the Y into a pseudo H, or replace it with an H-pipe.

Im not sure where you've talked to, but you may try midas or other big name exhaust places. I've heard stories of them doing stuff like that for decent prices. Also someone I know that can do it is SVOPaul at his shop in odenville, www.svpu.com , but its a bit of a drive and also I dont know how busy they are.
Old 6/28/06, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you looking to maximize the performance of the car? If so, and you want 'true dual exhaust', a true mid-pipe would be necessary.

If you just want dual exhaust and a little louder sound, the shop can keep your stock Y-pipe with some modification, like Scott said. It's also possible to put together your Y-pipe and another y-pipe, neck-to-neck, to create two outlet pipes to attach the pipes and mufflers to.
Old 7/5/06, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Yeah....it all depends on what you want. If you want the dual look and a little bit nicer sound, you can get exhausts that just attach to the existing pipe (bolt on).

Or you have to cut everything up under there and attach an H pipe (or X pipe) and the dual.

BUT...if you want to use takeoffs, you have to add the H or X pipe.
Old 7/10/06, 01:56 PM
GT Member

I can't help you with an actual place to go in your area, but I can tell you what you need, and what you don't. First, in order to have your GT takeoffs installed, the shop will have to cut your existing pipes behind the cats in front of the 'Y' connnection, then each GT pipe can run straight back. Being an even firing engine, our V6's do not NEED an h-pipe. The shop can run each pipe independently straight back from the cats. Many people install an h-pipe for a slightly deeper or more mellow tone, but they are not NEEDED. The only other hardware that will possibly be needed other than what any exhaust shop has on hand is a hanger set for the passenger side GT pipes. Complete install including all the cutting, welding should run you no more than a couple of hours labor plus parts. Good luck!
Old 7/11/06, 08:26 AM
J2D
GT Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
Well, the problem is, you currently have a Y pipe coming out of your headers. In order to make the Dual mate up, they will have to modify the Y into a pseudo H, or replace it with an H-pipe.

Im not sure where you've talked to, but you may try midas or other big name exhaust places. I've heard stories of them doing stuff like that for decent prices. Also someone I know that can do it is SVOPaul at his shop in odenville, www.svpu.com , but its a bit of a drive and also I dont know how busy they are.
Definately give Paul a call, it won't hurt to find out. It's about a 20 minute drive outside Birmingham (depends on which side of town your on), but Paul and Jason to top notch work and are reasonably priced. If you do call tell Paul, Scott and Matt sent you.