1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

AOD TRANSMISSION HELP

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/04, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have a 2001 automatic and almost everytime I come to a stop sign I can hear the transmission shift back into first. It sounds like the old vacuum transmissions. The sound is metallic like a linkage or something. Of course everytime I take it to the dealer it doesn't do it. I've even left it with them. I've had the 30k service done at the dealer. They flush all the fluid out. Supposedly that is better than just dropping the pan and changing the filter. After all of that it still does it. Does anyone else hear this sound? Sometimes when I do a rolling stop it will hesitate and the make the sound and take off. They tried to tell me that it is the planetary gears or something? If anyone would have some info, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 7/6/04, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does the tranny seem to work properly in ALL other types of driving, I.e. Fast starts or driving at high speeds? Does it happen when it is cold or hot? I need a little more info! If it only happens under certain cercumstances I would first look at the valve body! AODE's are famous for having trouble there. I have to run right now, answer back and I'll try and help you out later this evening!
Old 7/6/04, 04:30 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I do not know if it is the same, but when I come to a stop using hard braking, about 1 second after stopping the trans clonks into first making the car shudder. I have never thought about it as my '72 did the same thing (the only 2 auto's I have driven). Does this mean I have a problem as well? (let's face it, I've had one a week since getting it 6 weeks ago )

James
Old 7/6/04, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, so you have more than one issue! You have a clanking noise when you come to a complete stop and you hear a hissing noise or something to that effect when your car downshift's into first when coming to a complete stop! Man this could be several things but I am inclined to tell you to start with the valve body, although the clanking noise sounds drive shaft related or possible your U joints!

The best thing I can suggest is to call Performance Automatic, here is the link ..... http://www.performanceautomatic.com/ . These guys specialize in AODE's and helped me diagnose my problem, if you just give them a call and act real cool and slightly desperate, I am sure they will offer you their opinions!

Good Luck
Old 7/7/04, 08:12 AM

Sorry about the delay in replying. It seems to happen when it is hot or cold. It seems more pronounced when it is warm though. :bang: