1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

air seeping from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/05, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed a hissing sound coming from under the hood of my car. The sound was coming from the passenger side. My car immediately lost power. What happened
Old 5/27/05, 08:19 PM
GT Member

1. do you have any aftermarket intake systems ( cai ) ? if so check your connections and clamps
2. check out your PCV valve and its connections, it is possible that a hose accidently came undone.
3. does a hissing sound have any distinctive scent to it ?
Old 5/27/05, 09:10 PM

The sound had no scent to it. It only happened once, but it was loud. The car has not accelarated the same since then.
Old 5/27/05, 09:29 PM
GT Member

alrite i take it this is on ur 99 6er and not ur 05 GT vert seeing as its in v6tech but seeing how its just air and doesnt have any distinct smell like fuel or what not it just has to be either the hose for the pcv valve ( which hooks from your intake tube to the passanger side valve cover. an air leak somewhere in your intake(wether it be stock or aftermarket that can make a big change in your acceloration though i cant imagine that being too loud or the hose for the pcv being all that loud either but it is a big possibility) i dont know where your located but i know its late here but in the daylight your best bet is pop the hood check all your hoses and just make sure everything is connected and theres no open ends anywhere
Old 5/27/05, 09:33 PM

Scott, I would like to tell you more details about what happened, but I don't want to get laughed off of this site.
Old 5/27/05, 09:35 PM
GT Member

feel free to IM me on AIM/AOL if you have that and dont want to post it on the site. Scott90061 is my Screen Name
Old 5/27/05, 09:41 PM

Exactly how do I do that. I've never done it before.
Old 5/27/05, 09:45 PM
GT Member

http://www.aim.com, theres a big yellow button on the homepage it says Download Now, click that , it'll bring you to another page where you can Upgrade or New Users Click Here..your new user so of course click the 1 that goes along with you, from there everything is pretty much self-explanatory , it'll ask you for a name, a screen name you'd like to use a password you'd like to use, the basics. its 100% free and info is 100% confidential but it doesnt ask for anymore personal info besides your name.
Old 5/27/05, 10:09 PM

I'll just tell you what happened. (puts flamesuit on) I actually installed two of those Spiralmax things on my car. The car ran like it gained about 30 or more rwhp. The day after the installation I heard that hissing sound, and the car has not been the same since then.
Old 5/27/05, 10:21 PM
GT Member

Dont worry about it Tavelle, we are here to give you a hand and help you so dont feel you'll get flamed or anything its 1 big community we got each others back. As for the peices for the intake tube ..tornados. turbonator, spiralmax ect ect (all the samething just diff companys) that seems right off the bat whats causing your problem. If you decide to use them the intake tube is only meant to accept 1 of those, so having 2 in there is really hurting you. What they're planned to do is turn the air flow into a cyclone type spin. but it definitely doesnt last for longer then a split seconds because you figure it has to last like that through your TB, plenum, manifold ect eventually its going to just flow how it normally would through that process especially since the air stops for a second while its in the plenum the spin of the air would cutt out right there if not before. So really what they're doing at the moment is just causing a small block in there which is prob. the sound you were hearing. your best bet would be to remove 1 of them from your intake tube, take it for a ride for 10-15min see how it drives. if it rides rough, take the other 1 out so y ou dont have anything in there. again take it for a ride, see how it is. but that definitely sounds like your problem.
Old 5/27/05, 10:31 PM

I get your point, but I think the swirling air may have caused a hose to come undone or something. Like I said before, the car ran great for a while. I'll check the hoses tomorrow. I haven't driven it much since I bought the '05. Thanks for the advice and the time.
Old 5/27/05, 10:34 PM
GT Member

No problem, good luck figuring it out if you have any questions or whatever feel free to ask ill see what i can do to help you out
Old 5/28/05, 04:51 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by sting@May 27, 2005, 10:34 PM
I get your point, but I think the swirling air may have caused a hose to come undone or something. Like I said before, the car ran great for a while. I'll check the hoses tomorrow. I haven't driven it much since I bought the '05. Thanks for the advice and the time.
Tavelle,

I do not thing the swirling air caused anything to come undone. Have you checked that all the hoses are tight now? I would recommend taking the Sprialmax thingies out, I have always found that if you have a problem, remove the recent purchases until you get back to where you were before the problem occurred. THen try and figure out what was causing the problem.

J
Old 5/28/05, 06:34 AM
Cobra R Member

If you look at your intake assembly, there is a hose connecting to it on the farthest section from the filter. Is that connected?