Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

what have your 5 liters run at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just curious as im sure alot of you here have ran your car at the track. my car is lightly modded, magnaflow exhaust, air silencer removed with k&n filter,and the previous owner ( a good friend)had advanced the timing to 14 degrees and said he swapped in a t5 from the 4 cylinder fox. I only took it to the track once , with the stock 225's all around, stock 2.73 gear, and 87 octane (opposed to 91, which is supposedly what i should of put because of the advanced timing) on a very humid night. i knew traction would be somewhat of a problem because it seems my stang has alot more low end torque than others ive been in and due to the fact that i never lost a race to a 5.0, even lightly modded ones that belonged to my friends. spinning into the 3rd gear,, i ran the 60 footer in 2.2 and the 1/4 at 14.8 at 98 mph. i was very disapointed because i have beaten many cars that i thought i wouldnt in races, including an srt 4 (twice) and a 6 speed lt1 (many times!)so i figured my 1/4 would be in the low 14's. i recently got some hoosiers given to me for free from my mechanic who is running a high 9 second 89 lx, so that should help when i go back in the summer. given that my car has 220,000 kilometres on it (i live in toronto, canada , for those who dont know) im curious as to what you guys think i will run on the same setup , next time i go to the track with the non street legal slicks on and 2.73 gear. also i would like to know what some of you guys are running with your stangs. any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2/5/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sleeper88 @ February 5, 2006, 9:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
just curious as im sure alot of you here have ran your car at the track. my car is lightly modded, magnaflow exhaust, air silencer removed with k&n filter,and the previous owner ( a good friend)had advanced the timing to 14 degrees and said he swapped in a t5 from the 4 cylinder fox. I only took it to the track once , with the stock 225's all around, stock 2.73 gear, and 87 octane (opposed to 91, which is supposedly what i should of put because of the advanced timing) on a very humid night. i knew traction would be somewhat of a problem because it seems my stang has alot more low end torque than others ive been in and due to the fact that i never lost a race to a 5.0, even lightly modded ones that belonged to my friends. spinning into the 3rd gear,, i ran the 60 footer in 2.2 and the 1/4 at 14.8 at 98 mph. i was very disapointed because i have beaten many cars that i thought i wouldnt in races, including an srt 4 (twice) and a 6 speed lt1 (many times!)so i figured my 1/4 would be in the low 14's. i recently got some hoosiers given to me for free from my mechanic who is running a high 9 second 89 lx, so that should help when i go back in the summer. given that my car has 220,000 kilometres on it (i live in toronto, canada , for those who dont know) im curious as to what you guys think i will run on the same setup , next time i go to the track with the non street legal slicks on and 2.73 gear. also i would like to know what some of you guys are running with your stangs. any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!
[/b][/quote]
You running a somewhat decent time. Most relatively stock gt's and lx's will run mid to low 14's in the 1/4. The 2.2 60' show that you are not getting traction out of the hole. Every .1 you take off you 60' will reduce your 1/4 by as much as .2 or .3. THe only problem you will have launching slicks off of the 2.73 gears is that you will have to launch it at pretty high rpm's in order to keep from actually bogging in the hole rather than spinning. Lower gears will help you get out of the hole on a set of slicks a little better. Weight is another big factor in you 1/4 time. Every100 lbs or so you take out of the car will show up in your timeslips as well. Also, the reason you were disappointed because you normally dont lose races is because the track is a totally different surface than the street. Getting traction on the street is alot easier than it is to get traction on the track. Put the slicks on, get some gears, and most importantly practice, practice, practice. I would be willing to bet with only those two changes you see at least .5 come off of your time slip.