Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

We need a little help on 351w swap

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/07, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need a little help on 351w swap

My son and I are in the process of Mustang project car and I have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with. We purchased an 86 Mustang that someone else started and hurt his back and couldn’t finish. The car was an original 4 cyl manual car. Sitting in it was a rebuilt 351W from a 79 Thunderbird with an automatic Transmission. There was no drive shaft, radiator, alt, fan etc with the car. We managed to get all of accessories for the engine and actually have the engine running on carb without the drivetrain. My son then decided he wanted to change to a manual transmission and 8.8 posi rear before we went any further. We purchased a T5 tranny with bell housing, flywheel, clutch and cross member from an 88GT 5.0 and a rear from a 90GT. Now for my questions.
1. When the engine is in the car the shorty headers that were on it hit the steering shaft.
We are planning on getting a set of BBK swap headers but are these headers made to correct this shaft problem or made so they will attach to existing exhaust system?
2. From everything I have read I think I need to get a 28oz 157T flywheel and I also was planning on getting a 10-1/2” clutch. Will this work with the T5? Will I need to change the starter since the Auto Flexplate was 164T? Funding is a little tight on this project but I don’t want to go with something that will not last very long.

I have been reading all kinds of information on these swaps but most of them deal with a 302 to 351 swap and still having the 302 items. Any help on these questions or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 5/4/07, 11:53 PM
GT Member

Yeah for some reason the BBK headers are known to rub the steering shaft. They did on my car too. Both the shorty and Equal lenght ones did. I did not try Full lengths however. Just to let you know. Maybe try another brand?

I would like to know what the problem is with this rubbing also so I will bump this thread!
Old 5/10/07, 10:03 AM

Ceb, you do indeed need a 157T 28 oz. flywheel if you plan to run that 351W. I have the same setup in my 87 GT right now.

The T5 will be fine unless you plan on making gobs of power. I hear they don't hold up to too much stress. I have a Tremec World Class T5 in mine. I'll let you know how that will hold up to a built motor.

Of course, I have yet to really drive mine,because the previous owner decided to put a 5.0 (50 oz) flywheel back into the car and it causes such a violent vibration it is undriveable. I am in the process of installing the new flywheel to correct this problem.

As for headers, any of them will be a tight fit. Get unequal length shorties. I cannot for the life of me remember the brand of mine, but I do know they are top notch quality and just BARELY fit without the steering shaft hitting them. And fender to header clearance for me is about 1/8" too. Tight squeeze.
Old 5/11/07, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

98stanger are you running a 10" or 10.5" clutch with your setup. I was thinking of buying a complete package with the flywheel and clutch set included.

The shorty headers I have on it now are ok except they that they hit the steering nuckle. I don't know what they are since they came with the engine. I was going to purchase a set of BBK 1511's to fix this problem but if I am still going to have the same problem I don't want to spend the money for new headers. I plan on having a local shop install a custom exhaust after the headers so I don't need to worry about connecting to any existing exhaust. I am not sure what to do here.
Old 5/11/07, 08:01 PM

Just be patient. It will all work out man. I'll get you some pics this weekend of my headers and my steering knuckle since my car is on stands and the tranny is out.

I am running the 10.5" clutch that comes standard in the foxes. My flywheel gives me the option of an 11" clutch if I wanted, but don't think I really need to go any bigger.

I just got my flywheel in today. Had to retap the threads for the bolts. I am reusing the stock clutch for now due to finances.

IF you have the money, definately go with a King Cobra clutch. They make a really nice clutch for these cars. You can buy your flywheel for $170 shipped from Astro Performance and it will get to your house in two days. You can get the King Cobra clutch for around $170 as well.

IF you do buy from Astro, the only downside is you might be retapping the threads, but if you do it's very simple to do. But on the upside, the flywheel is roughly HALF of what you get them for out of any of the magazines.