Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Steering column swap

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/16, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you saying you want to put a column shifter in your Mustang? Or are you trying to swap Fox parts into a 72 Lincoln?

You can convert a Fox Mustang up to 1986 to a column shifter if you want to since all other Fox platform sedans used column shifters for their automatic transmission cars. You will not be able to provide a gear selector indicator unless you swap the gauge cluster out for a cluster from a Fairmont or Zephyr which has the shift indcator but no tachometer and auxillary gauges.

No Fox platform columns fit into any Lincolns built before 1980.

I would not even bother with a column shifter on a Mustang, especially since there are plenty of C6 factory floor shifters available for swap.

Last edited by watchdevil; 2/15/16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
Are you saying you want to put a column shifter in your Mustang? Or are you trying to swap Fox parts into a 72 Lincoln?

You can convert a Fox Mustang up to 1986 to a column shifter if you want to since all other Fox platform sedans used column shifters for their automatic transmission cars. You will not be able to provide a gear selector indicator unless you swap the gauge cluster out for a cluster from a Fairmont or Zephyr which has the shift indcator but no tachometer and auxillary gauges.

No Fox platform columns fit into any Lincolns built before 1980.

I would not even bother with a column shifter on a Mustang, especially since there are plenty of C6 factory floor shifters available for swap.
Hi thanks for info. Im picking up a 72 lincoln and want to take as many parts as i can to convert my 88 mustang 2.3 auto to 460. I wouldnt mind converting to column so i can put bench in front for extra seatbelt. Thanks for info
Old 2/22/16, 11:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Tommygunzit
Hi thanks for info. Im picking up a 72 lincoln and want to take as many parts as i can to convert my 88 mustang 2.3 auto to 460. I wouldnt mind converting to column so i can put bench in front for extra seatbelt. Thanks for info
There is nothing from that 72 Lincoln that will carry over to an 88 Mustang.

The 1987-93 Mustang does not allow for a column shifter because the newer pod style instrument cluster with the switches on each side does not provide clearance for the shift lever to exist. You would need to switch to a 1979-86 Mustang/Capri dashboard or one from any 1978-83 Fairmont/Zephyr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar or more complicatedly a dash from a 1980-88 Thunderbird/Cougar or 1983-86 LTD/Marquis (Fox body not Panther). You will also need the steering column, shifter and associated linkage and brackets from any one of those donor cars. These donor cars are also the only ones that have a dash that will accommodate a bench seat or 60/40 split seat because the center stack with the radio and HVAC controls are designed to not interfere with the bench seat movement. 60/40 seats are a dime a dozen in salvage yards because 83-88 Thunderbirds and Cougars were so popular and almost all of them were column shift except the Turbo Coupe and V8 Sport. Base model Fairmonts and Zephyrs were the most likely to have a solid non-split bench seat if you can find one. Solid bench seats fell out of favor for split ones in later model year Fairmont bodied cars. Fairmont bodied cars include 1978-83 Fairmont/Zephyr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar sedan and wagon, 1983-86 LTD/Marquis Mid-size.

Also going to a bench seat you will need a foot operated parking brake and cables from any of the donor cars I mentioned. You will need to keep in mind the parking brake cables are longer on foot operated parking brakes because all cars that used them have much longer wheelbases than the Mustang.

I personally would never bother with such a column shift bench seat conversion. I'd rather find an old Fairmont Futura or Zephyr Z-7 coupe because I love the Thunderbird style roofline and all the stuff that the Mustang has will fit into those cars as they are mostly drop-in interchangeable. A Futura would be more special since you do not see those every day. I'd swap a 1983-86 LTD front end clip on it too which gives it that four-eyed slanted front Mustang look to it.

Anyway here is a bench seat Fairmont Futura interior for you to fap-off to!

Last edited by watchdevil; 2/23/16 at 12:08 AM.
Old 2/23/16, 12:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jkstang78
Wow there is some really good info here. Love the swap of the newer dashes into older cars.
I actually saw a Fox body 86 or earlier Mustang convertible that swapped in a 1985-88 Thunderbird dash and it looked great. It bolts right without physical modifications so the only consideration is matching the wiring for the instruments and controls to function. The only drawback is that you cannot use a Tbird console because there is no provision for a handbrake. You would have to go for the factory console-less look base Mustangs had.

I've seen people swap the 1987-93 Mustang dash and console into modified Fairmonts, Zephyrs and Fox Granadas before. I am not a fan of the 1987-93 Mustang dash. I like the instrument pod and switches but I am not crazy about the shelf design of the rest of the dash. To me it's not an upgrade look like a Thunderbird dash would be.

That reminds me. I used to dislike the Fairmont dash in the 1979-86 Mustangs so much that a long time ago I wrote Ford telling them they should use the Thunderbird dash in the Mustang instead. Well, a lot of good that did... But what does Ford do instead? Install the Thunderbird dash in the 1983 LTD which used to be a Fairmont.
Old 2/26/16, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
There is nothing from that 72 Lincoln that will carry over to an 88 Mustang.

The 1987-93 Mustang does not allow for a column shifter because the newer pod style instrument cluster with the switches on each side does not provide clearance for the shift lever to exist. You would need to switch to a 1979-86 Mustang/Capri dashboard or one from any 1978-83 Fairmont/Zephyr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar or more complicatedly a dash from a 1980-88 Thunderbird/Cougar or 1983-86 LTD/Marquis (Fox body not Panther). You will also need the steering column, shifter and associated linkage and brackets from any one of those donor cars. These donor cars are also the only ones that have a dash that will accommodate a bench seat or 60/40 split seat because the center stack with the radio and HVAC controls are designed to not interfere with the bench seat movement. 60/40 seats are a dime a dozen in salvage yards because 83-88 Thunderbirds and Cougars were so popular and almost all of them were column shift except the Turbo Coupe and V8 Sport. Base model Fairmonts and Zephyrs were the most likely to have a solid non-split bench seat if you can find one. Solid bench seats fell out of favor for split ones in later model year Fairmont bodied cars. Fairmont bodied cars include 1978-83 Fairmont/Zephyr, 1981-82 Granada/Cougar sedan and wagon, 1983-86 LTD/Marquis Mid-size.

Also going to a bench seat you will need a foot operated parking brake and cables from any of the donor cars I mentioned. You will need to keep in mind the parking brake cables are longer on foot operated parking brakes because all cars that used them have much longer wheelbases than the Mustang.

I personally would never bother with such a column shift bench seat conversion. I'd rather find an old Fairmont Futura or Zephyr Z-7 coupe because I love the Thunderbird style roofline and all the stuff that the Mustang has will fit into those cars as they are mostly drop-in interchangeable. A Futura would be more special since you do not see those every day. I'd swap a 1983-86 LTD front end clip on it too which gives it that four-eyed slanted front Mustang look to it.

Anyway here is a bench seat Fairmont Futura interior for you to fap-off to!
Great info thanks
Do you know if this motor is big hp one or smog regulated one

Old 3/1/16, 05:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I cannot tell by the picture. I need a VIN number to know. By 1972 all engines were choked down compared to thier pre-1970 performance.
Old 3/2/16, 04:42 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
At a show last year a Fairmont station wagon showed up with a Fox Mustang GT interior, suspension and 5.0 drivetrain with a 5 speed. The owner said everything was pretty much an even swap. What a sleeper.