Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Sluggish.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/11, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sluggish.. HELP

I Bought a 93 GT automatic about a month ago. The guy said it had been sitting for about 6-8 months. It's got 69,000 miles and appears everything is stock besides the flowmasters and k&n filter. The car seems slow, sluggish. Runs good starts up right away. Idles nice, A little high IMO about 8-900 rpms. Sometimes it will drop down to 5-700 Rpms. But doesn't seem to be cutting out. I replaced the plugs. Cleaned the mass air flow sensor and sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the throttle body. Multiple times. To see if that would help. The throttle body was very dirty ( I thought). Since i did that the gas pedal sticks if the car sits for very long. I
Just have to push the gas pedal hard until it breaks loose. Another example is if I'm cruising down the neighborhood at 20mph and let off the gas pedal it will slowly.. Very slowly accelerate to maybe 28-30 Mph. any recommendations? thoughts? Questions? Thanks a ton. I plan on completely removing the throttle body and cleaning it... Not sure what else to try..

I think by cleaning the throttle body throughly I can get the flap to stop sticking.. But what would cause it to be slow.. I had a buddy who has had 3 of these and were all automatics. He said it seems sluggish also.. And i never said anything to him before he drove it. just so i could get an honest response. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 8/29/11, 01:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas pedal sticking after clean your tb...sounds like a sticky butterfly.

what i would try....

-use seafoam (used 1/3 can threw vacuum line)...pour slowly and keep engine revs about 2000-2500 (i did threw brake booster vacuum line,and put a small funnel into line and poured slowly...1/3 can in about 4-5 min) turn off engine,let sit for a good 10 min,then drive it for 15-20 min like you "stole it"..be prepared for lots of white smoke for a few min (it's normal)

-then try really giving tb a good cleaning with seafoam and some shop towels...