Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Rear upper & lower control arms from 50resto

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/08 | 09:35 AM
Cobra Member

Rear upper & lower control arms from 50resto

I saw the kit that includes the upper and lower control arms for $150. It has grease fitting on it, and the kit doesn't look too bad...didn't know if anyone has bought it?
Old 4/12/08 | 02:04 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by GT5088
I saw the kit that includes the upper and lower control arms for $150. It has grease fitting on it, and the kit doesn't look too bad...didn't know if anyone has bought it?
You get what you pay for......we are talking suspension here, is your life worth saving $100 or so? I've seen a lot of cheap control arms fail among different customers over the years that bought arms like this to save money. Stick with a proven control arm like Maximum Motorsports and never look back.
Old 4/13/08 | 06:24 AM
Cobra Member

i have the stock controll arms on there now should i replace them?
Old 4/13/08 | 08:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
You get what you pay for......we are talking suspension here, is your life worth saving $100 or so? I've seen a lot of cheap control arms fail among different customers over the years that bought arms like this to save money. Stick with a proven control arm like Maximum Motorsports and never look back.
Thanks for the advice Paul, I just figured I would ask before using my credit card. Maximum Motorsports it is
Old 4/15/08 | 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

one trip to mustangs unlimited yesterday resulted in me buying a set of maximum motorsports rear control arms, uppers and lowers
Old 4/15/08 | 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very good purchase, the uppers were FRPPs with the stiffer rubber bushings right? At least thats the only uppers MM sells at their website.
Old 4/15/08 | 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

they have tubular lowers for 115 at hotpart.com
Old 4/15/08 | 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

Old 4/15/08 | 06:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Valentino
Very good purchase, the uppers were FRPPs with the stiffer rubber bushings right? At least thats the only uppers MM sells at their website.
Yeah, its looks like a nice setup. I am going to install them tomorrow...not to jinx myself, but I dont think it should be difficult, the undercarriage of my GT is 300% better than my old 87...I also bought the trick flow street heat setup with the upper and lower intake, cam, heads, etc etc ...I have spent 3 big ones this week alone....luckily, my buddy I graduated from high school with works at a local speed shop that specializes in mustangs, so we will be working on this car for the next couple weeks
Old 4/15/08 | 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by touring
2 of my other friends that have fox bodies (one a 93 and one a 91) both did their suspension and it made a huge difference...I'm waiting to see what mine drives like when i get it done. its definitely important to do that before any big engine performance upgrades...I also upgraded my brake system and replaced my front brake calipers with ones from a Lincoln Town Car...the pistons are bigger
Old 4/15/08 | 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
they have tubular lowers for 115 at hotpart.com
You realize this is the foxbody section right? Only the s197 arms are that price at that website. The 3rd and 4th gen arms cost more and look like cheap copies of MM anyway.

Yeah, its looks like a nice setup. I am going to install them tomorrow...not to jinx myself, but I dont think it should be difficult, the undercarriage of my GT is 300% better than my old 87...I also bought the trick flow street heat setup with the upper and lower intake, cam, heads, etc etc ...I have spent 3 big ones this week alone....luckily, my buddy I graduated from high school with works at a local speed shop that specializes in mustangs, so we will be working on this car for the next couple weeks
the only thing that caught me was my [then] 17 year old hardware, the nuts and bolts were rusted fairly well and the threads were rough but a trip to the store fixed all that. Sounds like you got some fun stuff to install, I'm coming up that road pretty quick!

2 of my other friends that have fox bodies (one a 93 and one a 91) both did their suspension and it made a huge difference...I'm waiting to see what mine drives like when i get it done. its definitely important to do that before any big engine performance upgrades...I also upgraded my brake system and replaced my front brake calipers with ones from a Lincoln Town Car...the pistons are bigger
After my LCA swap road imperfections were slightly more noticeable but the car also felt tighter and more confident and secure going around turns. I also have the 73mm calipers with a 93 cobra master cylinder and they are an improvement over stock for sure.
Old 4/15/08 | 08:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Valentino
the only thing that caught me was my [then] 17 year old hardware, the nuts and bolts were rusted fairly well and the threads were rough but a trip to the store fixed all that. Sounds like you got some fun stuff to install, I'm coming up that road pretty quick!
I have been waiting to make these purchases, and finally made my choices. I had seriously considered the Holley Systemax setup but after doing some research I found that I probably would not reap the full benefits of that setup because it thrives off of power adders such as nitrous and/or a supercharger. Then, I looked at the FRPP Cobra setup, but the gains in power wouldn't be significant enough for me to justify the amount of money that kit costs. Hence, why I landed on the Trick Flow kit.

I also ended up getting 24 lb. injectors, higher amp alternator, FRPP AC eliminator kit and an aluminum radiator. There are still more odds and ends I need to buy....just need more $$$

Its definitely a fun road to go down, but it looks as though it might cause me to spend more and more money to support the additional power. For example, maybe a new Tremec to replace my T5??

Sorry for being so long winded!
Old 4/17/08 | 11:03 PM
FR500 Member

Sounds like your car is coming along nicely. FWIW, I think the J&M tubular rear lower control arms look pretty well-made and plan to get a set for my car - eventually.