Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Rare '84?

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/06, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rare '84?

I am searching for info on a 1984 Mustang that belongs to my sister-in-law. Her husband passed away a few years back while in the process of restoring the car so now I look after it for her and offer what advice I can. I have recently come to learn that this particular car may be quite rare. Since we are considering spending big $ to restore the vehicle to original condition, I'd like to have as much info as possible before committing funds!
Here are the car's vital stats:
1984 Mustang LX convertible
VIN # 1FABP27W0EFI79273
The car carries the following features:
4 cylinder, turbocharged, fuel injected
5 speed standard
color-dark charcoal metallic
power windows (but manual door locks)
factory air
factory guage package
factory am/fm radio with "boost" feature that increases bass response
factory fog lamps
tilt steering
factory center console
factory aluminum wheels

One source I have consulted suggests that this car MAY be one of only 104 built to this specification. Can anyone confirm/deny this or tell me where I can obtain definitive info?
Thanks.
Gary Hebbard
St. John's,
Newfoundland
Canada.
Old 10/4/06, 05:16 PM
GT Member

I would suggest that you try starting with a Marti Report: http://www.martiauto.com/

They can give you a pretty good idea of how rare the car actually is. There is an expense, but if as you say you are considering paying big bucks to restore the car, then its probably worth the money. Good Luck
Old 10/4/06, 05:56 PM

Thanks 246, I didn't expect an answer that quickly. Guess it comes from driving a pony car!
Old 10/4/06, 06:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
There was a 20th anniversary that had only 104 verts built. They were all white with red interior. They had the GT 350 name.
Here is a helpful link:
http://www.mustangforums.com/timelin...-ford-mustang/
Old 10/4/06, 08:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a Turbo GT.
According to the TMS timeline, the color, and your VIN# your car is a Turbo GT. The 'W' in the VIN indicates the engine code for the Turbo GT's. And since the GT 350's were all white, and yours is a dark charcoal, my guess would be it's a Turbo GT!

Any pics?
Old 10/5/06, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

But, how could it be a Turbo GT if it's a 4 cylinder?
Old 10/5/06, 08:47 AM
Service Manager

Received 443 Likes on 219 Posts
It is a Turbo GT...Ford did not produce an LX with the Turbocharged 4 cylinder. The Turbo GT was specifically a 2.3 Turbocharged engine and they are fairly rare. We restored a GT Turbo Convertible a couple years ago and I have owned a couple Turbo GT's myself. A great site to visit with a following for these cars is www.foureyedpride.com . Here is a picture of the one we restored, the owner changed the color from silver and changed the wheels but everything else was stock. Also attached is a picture of the '84 GT Turbo I used to own.
Attached Thumbnails Rare '84?-p1010004.jpg   Rare '84?-trx4.jpg  
Old 10/5/06, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DrunkenDragon713
But, how could it be a Turbo GT if it's a 4 cylinder?
Ford offered GT's either as 5.0L or 4 Cyl Turbo, but the Turbo was a little more money than the 5.0L, so guess which one most people chose. I am not sure exactly but I believe there were 2500 to 3000 made, and not sure on bodystyle breakdowns. So it is a rare car, but I am not sure I would say more desirable than a 5.0L.
But it was a fuel injected Turbo, as opposed to the '79/'80 which was carburated.

The SVO was also available as well as the Merkur XR4Ti and the T-Bird Turbo Coupe, so there were lots of similar choices but with much better overall performance, and a higher price tag of course.

I had a '84 Capri RS Turbo back then, of which there were 240 built.
Old 10/5/06, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hp246
I would suggest that you try starting with a Marti Report: http://www.martiauto.com/

They can give you a pretty good idea of how rare the car actually is. There is an expense, but if as you say you are considering paying big bucks to restore the car, then its probably worth the money. Good Luck
Marti Reports are only available for '67 to '73.

You can get a breakdown of the original build specification through Ford's "History 999" program by phoning Ford Customer Relations, but that will not give production numbers.
Old 10/5/06, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Gosh you guys are making me feel old. Sorry about that. I know Marti specialzes in Mustangs. Maybe they can point ya in the right directioin to get the info. They did a great job getting me a report on my 67 Fairlane
Old 10/5/06, 01:35 PM
Service Manager

I've used Marti Autoworks a few times...great service but I wish it ecompassed more years and back to 1965. Pick up a copy of the Fox Mustang Recognition guide...it has a lot of good information as well.
Old 10/5/06, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by svopaul
I've used Marti Autoworks a few times...great service but I wish it ecompassed more years and back to 1965. Pick up a copy of the Fox Mustang Recognition guide...it has a lot of good information as well.
All of Ford's Production Records from the 1966 model year and back were destroyed and unretrievable, so Marti Auto will never be able to get info on cars prior to 1967.

At some point they may offer the same service for '74 and newer, but for now the demand would not make the effort worthwhile.

The History 999 will get you alot of the same information, but it is not quite as accurate.
Old 10/5/06, 03:03 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by mstang
All of Ford's Production Records from the 1966 model year and back were destroyed and unretrievable, so Marti Auto will never be able to get info on cars prior to 1967.

At some point they may offer the same service for '74 and newer, but for now the demand would not make the effort worthwhile.

The History 999 will get you alot of the same information, but it is not quite as accurate.
I'm very familiar with the 999 reports...have one for each car I have and they do help some. I know a woman "Ellen something" is responsible for the infor Kevin Marti has and she was unable to get the eariler info...had it not been for her the current information would have been thrown away.

I spoke with Marti years ago about reproducing door stickers for the Fox and he said he was going to do that but to date he has not done it yet. There is probably going to be more demand for those than the originals because they were decals and the originals were metal but we have to wait until he determines it is time to do that.

His early reproduction door data plates are great though so I am sure when he finally does do the late model decals they will be of comparable quality.
Old 10/6/06, 01:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

How different were the Turbo GT's motor from the SVO motor? Also, I know 83 & 84 had Turbo GT's, but were there any in 85?
Old 10/6/06, 06:30 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Phorty
How different were the Turbo GT's motor from the SVO motor? Also, I know 83 & 84 had Turbo GT's, but were there any in 85?
The SVO was intercooled and the camshaft profile was different. The SVO also had a more aggressive computer program. I believe the turbocharger specs were similar but can't say for sure. Other than that they were the same engine.