Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Radio question for my 88 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12/29/07, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio question for my 88 GT

Didn't know if anyone could answer a couple questions I have concerning my stock radio in my 88 fox body mustang... they may sound stupid, but please bear with me...

1. During the daytime, I can read the digital display that shows the radio station playing, but at night time it will not appear. I tried screwing with the dimmer control, but no dice. Has anyone else ran into this?

2. The clarity in my radio is perfectly fine, all of my normal stations come in clear. The only problem is that for some reason, when I use the scan button, all it does is flip through every station, never landing on anything, even though manually I get all of the local stations...I didn't know if anyone ran into this ever...

I think my radio is shot, and I need a new radio, but didn't know if anyone else had a solution...

Thanks for reading my rambling!
Old 12/29/07, 11:52 PM

mine did the same, i bought a kenwood and now i have nonthing, cant get no sound from the thing!....
Old 12/30/07, 07:23 AM
GT Member

I think it just may be time for a new radio. If you get an aftermarket, I would still keep the stock radio around. The guy I got my car from had the stock radio/CD, I still kick myself for not takin it with me when I bought the car.
Old 12/30/07, 08:07 AM
Cobra Member

yeah, thats not a bad idea...there's a guy who sells the stock cd players with the amps fromm the early 90's foxes...i was thinking about going that route because I want to keep the interior stock.
Old 12/30/07, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ryan218
mine did the same, i bought a kenwood and now i have nonthing, cant get no sound from the thing!....
Thats really weird... not to sound sarcastic, but have you checked the wires for power?
Old 12/30/07, 12:39 PM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by GT5088
Didn't know if anyone could answer a couple questions I have concerning my stock radio in my 88 fox body mustang... they may sound stupid, but please bear with me...

1. During the daytime, I can read the digital display that shows the radio station playing, but at night time it will not appear. I tried screwing with the dimmer control, but no dice. Has anyone else ran into this?
This is simple, your bulb is out and just needs to be replaced.

2. The clarity in my radio is perfectly fine, all of my normal stations come in clear. The only problem is that for some reason, when I use the scan button, all it does is flip through every station, never landing on anything, even though manually I get all of the local stations...I didn't know if anyone ran into this ever...
Probably has an issue with the antenna signal and that could be internal in the radio or you could try removing the plug from the back(antenna plug) and cleaning it up and reinstalling it....it's been a lot of years and possible that dirt and some corrosion are compromising the signal.

I think my radio is shot, and I need a new radio, but didn't know if anyone else had a solution...

Thanks for reading my rambling!
If you want to keep it original there are companies that do repair work on stock radios....otherwise it may be cheaper to just go with an aftermarket one.
Old 12/30/07, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

thanks for the help Paul! I don't have to work tomorrow so I'll try what you suggest. Hopefully it works
Old 1/1/08, 10:36 AM

Thats really weird... not to sound sarcastic, but have you checked the wires for power?

ya i have power...everything is hooked up right, when i plug the head unit it i get a pop from the speakers and then no sound from a cd or the radio Ive been told that the factory amp may be an issue but i cant find an amp in my 88...its not behinde the radio or under the passenger seat
Old 1/1/08, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

I think from the factory they only came with amps with it came from the factory with a CD player...thats what I have been told, but I could be wrong....has it ever worked?
Old 1/1/08, 08:37 PM

I think from the factory they only came with amps with it came from the factory with a CD player...thats what I have been told, but I could be wrong....has it ever worked?

yeah, when i got the car it had no radio in it...

i had a spare from a 97 f-150 sitting around and the plug ins on the back are the same for a mustang (cool huh) so i plugged that in and it works fine...but with a cd player no go cant get any sound.
Old 1/1/08, 11:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an 89 Mustang a while back, and it had the Premium Radio from the factory. It did have a seperate amp somewhere behind the radio. I found it when I replaced it with a CD player. The stock radio was a am/fm/cassette, no cd.
Old 1/2/08, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by theedge67
I had an 89 Mustang a while back, and it had the Premium Radio from the factory. It did have a seperate amp somewhere behind the radio. I found it when I replaced it with a CD player. The stock radio was a am/fm/cassette, no cd.
how big was it? becasue all i see is carpet and i didnt see anything when ihad the dash out for the nre heater core eithher?
Old 1/2/08, 12:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think it was like 4x6 or something similar. Not terribly big, and I can't even really remember where it was located. I just remember it being there. I took it out probably 9 years ago, so memory is a little foggy.
Old 1/2/08, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

yeah I think I had one on my 87...but my 88 is just a casette... whenever I have looked into putting a CD player in my car everyone always says I need an amp, so you might fall into that category..
Old 1/2/08, 07:51 AM
Service Manager

Received 432 Likes on 209 Posts
The cars with premium sound ALL had amplifiers and 87-92 were located behind the between the front of the console. In 1993 the amplifier changed and was located under the passenger front seat. CD was not an option in 1988...only Cassette with an optional equalizer(which is fairly rare).

If you are not using an original radio from a Mustang then that could be part of your problem.
Old 1/2/08, 10:26 AM

the radio from the 97 f150 works perfect i get sound from all speakers, i try the cd player and i get nonthing from it.
Old 1/2/08, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

yeah, there's a guy that has a website that sells the factory cd players and amps either together in a package or separate...I have been looking into it because I personally don't like the look of the aftermarket cd players...
Old 1/2/08, 01:08 PM

yeah, there's a guy that has a website that sells the factory cd players and amps either together in a package or separate...I have been looking into it because I personally don't like the look of the aftermarket cd players...

ya id just like to get this cd player to work!!

crutchfeild said they think the headunit is bad so there sending another one out.
Old 1/2/08, 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, if the radio part works the CD part must be messed up. Probably not related to the install, Crutchfield is probably right.
Old 1/2/08, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by theedge67
Yeah, if the radio part works the CD part must be messed up. Probably not related to the install, Crutchfield is probably right.

we will see....they send it out today..should be here by friday!

Quick Reply: Radio question for my 88 GT