Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

plans for an 87

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/05, 12:58 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok first let it be known i am 14, that being said in order to do this i will be saving every dime i make for the next 3 years (yeah i'm that crazy about mustangs) i'm not normal....my friends are always pissed at me cuz its all i talk about anyway...
i grew up around cars....learned how to drive a stick-shift on a 2003 cobra (my dads car..no we arnt rich i have to make all the money my self)

ok the plan...buy an 87 with some engine problems for $2000-$3000
pick up a crate engine off ebay for $2500-$3000
the engines lookin at about 300 horse-power
buy a nice cobra upper/lower intake off ebay for $500
buy shorty headers from ford racing for $650
buy free-flow exhuast 3 in mandrel bent cat-back system from flowmaster $1000
then an extra $1000 for misc. problems and parts
3:73 gears $100
$8750
all my money for the next 3 years

after i get out of college and start working and saving for a blower(procharcher 3 core intercooler setup) to make it into a weekend racer nothing seriose though

ok what do you guys think any advise or changes
please dont tell me to toss the crate engine idea everyone says to but its really what i want to do i would only toss it if i cant make the money
Old 7/13/05, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

No crate engine...rebuild the short block then buy some killer aftermarket heads/cam/intake. This will be much cheaper and should be just as reliable. Cobra intakes are ok but there are better ones out there. Try to pick up one used if possible. You have plenty of time so be patient and look for good deals. There are also much cheaper headers out there. 3" exhaust is too big for your goals; go with 2 1/2". Otherwise, good luck!
Old 7/13/05, 02:30 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by luvthe440Aroush@July 13, 2005, 1:01 PM
ok first let it be known i am 14, that being said in order to do this i will be saving every dime i make for the next 3 years (yeah i'm that crazy about mustangs) i'm not normal....my friends are always pissed at me cuz its all i talk about anyway...
i grew up around cars....learned how to drive a stick-shift on a 2003 cobra (my dads car..no we arnt rich i have to make all the money my self)

$8750

after i get out of college and start working and saving for a blower(procharcher 3 core intercooler setup) to make it into a weekend racer nothing seriose though

please dont tell me to toss the crate engine idea everyone says to but its really what i want to do i would only toss it if i cant make the money
OK, since you are young just absorb information....do NOT spend $650 on a set of headers...this is your first car, spend wisely and build wisely and your money will go much farther. You can put a complete exhaust system together for less than $700. Also remember that no matter what you budget, something unexpected is going to come up.

and do NOT buy your engine off ebay....you can forget about any service or warranty with a purchase like that. Even MAC now sends out a note telling customers that if they buy their MAC products off Ebay or an internet store that they will get no service or help from MAC...bought through a shop you will get all the help and warranty desired.

Just do your research....even if covered before, no question is a stupid question if you don't know the answer. Ask questions and learn...but don't believe everything you read or hear...take the information with a grain of salt and make notes and compare....but most importantly talk to those who actually have a setup on their car and you will learn what they think of how it works.
Old 7/13/05, 02:31 PM
GT Member

what kind of price tag am i looking at on rebuilding the short block
for the heads, cam, piston, ect.?
Old 7/13/05, 02:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by svopaul@July 13, 2005, 2:33 PM
OK, since you are young just absorb information....do NOT spend $650 on a set of headers...this is your first car, spend wisely and build wisely and your money will go much farther. You can put a complete exhaust system together for less than $700. Also remember that no matter what you budget, something unexpected is going to come up.

and do NOT buy your engine off ebay....you can forget about any service or warranty with a purchase like that. Even MAC now sends out a note telling customers that if they buy their MAC products off Ebay or an internet store that they will get no service or help from MAC...bought through a shop you will get all the help and warranty desired.

Just do your research....even if covered before, no question is a stupid question if you don't know the answer. Ask questions and learn...but don't believe everything you read or hear...take the information with a grain of salt and make notes and compare....but most importantly talk to those who actually have a setup on their car and you will learn what they think of how it works.
yeah i have learned all i know to this point from my dad everytime i have a question he has an answer my main dis advantage is no hands on experience and i dont know how i can really get that at this age (dont suppose a garage would hire me for free, even though i'de work for free if its on cars)
Old 7/13/05, 04:22 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally posted by luvthe440Aroush@July 13, 2005, 2:38 PM
yeah i have learned all i know to this point from my dad everytime i have a question he has an answer my main dis advantage is no hands on experience and i dont know how i can really get that at this age (dont suppose a garage would hire me for free, even though i'de work for free if its on cars)

You might be surprised....I have taken in people in the past and taught them and they just helped take apart cars or clean up but you have to get to know the shop and gain their trust first...they won't just do something like that for someone they don't know.
Old 7/13/05, 04:45 PM
GT Member

whats the easiest way to do that they might find it a little wierd that i am coming down to the shop everyday without a car lol no friends of the family have shops
Old 7/13/05, 04:47 PM
GT Member

the only hands on exp. i have is with go cart and lawnmower engines....lol wonder how much i could get a junk engine at a junkyard for just to take it apart and clean up the parts and repaint them lol
Old 7/13/05, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by luvthe440Aroush@July 13, 2005, 2:01 PM

$8750

kool, First off. Congrats on the fact your dad has a fricken gorgeous 2003 cobra!! :worship: And, I wish you luck. But as paul said, watch your expenses and check ebay for things before u buy it at msrp just to get a price range so u dont overspend.
Old 7/13/05, 09:43 PM
GT Member

i just found a beautiful turn key on a site that has a great warrenty and if they are still around when i buy my car thats where i will get my engine

btw thanks for the compliment about the cobra, the car is crazy he has put a cat back exhuast on and taken off the govener...it makes 420 at the rear wheels
Old 7/13/05, 10:09 PM
GTR Member

i wanna sonic blue one. Send me a im or email sometime.
Old 7/13/05, 10:46 PM
GT Member

do you have aim it would be easier to use than this pm