Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/07, 11:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If just one of your injectors is bad it will cause several problems including this bad hesitation and poor cooling of the cylinder. I replaced mine after several attempts at trying to find out why it was missing after tune up etc.. When I changed them the car ran like brand new!!!!!
Old 3/25/07, 12:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you do it yourself?

If so will I have to disassemble the entire throttle body to take it off the upper manifold? Or can I just get away with taking the four nuts off the studs and take the throttle body off all together from the upper manifold?

Couple more questions:

Is the intake gasket reuseable or not?
And, should I replace all injectors or only the ones that are faulty. I can get all 8 Ford Racing 19lb injectors for about $200.
Old 3/25/07, 11:06 AM

Yes I did it myself and you have to take the entire upper plenum off. Just take your time its failry simple and the gasket for the plenum is usable if its in good shape.. Just a note if your gonna have it off anyway you might want to put a Phelonic spacer between the upper and lower plenum to help with heat they are not expensive at all and they come with new gaskets. Make sure you cover the lower intake manifold before you start any work. You can do it without disconnecting the fuel rail but disconnect the battery because you will get some residual under pressure fuel.. Let me know if you have any other questions..
Old 3/25/07, 05:49 PM
GT Member

Cool Cool... and thanks!

About the phelonic spacer, where can I buy this at? Also what size should I get since I still have the stock hood?

And my EGR is stock so coolant isnt running through it otherwise I heard if there is, it defeats the purpose of the spacer?

Thanks again for the help and in about 3-4 weeks I will be changing the injectors out. I found some on summitracing.com for $209 for a set of 8 Ford Racing 19# injectors.
Autozone wants $60 a piece!

I will keep this updated!
Old 3/25/07, 07:24 PM

With the stock hood I would just go with the 1/2- 3/4 inch spacer, Ford should carry it, I know they have a set hanging on the wall at Five Star so if you have trouble locating one let me know or talk to KC I'm sure he can get ya one!! I never understood running hot water through the egr????
Old 3/25/07, 09:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Old 3/25/07, 09:43 PM
GT Member

2-3 weeks ago... lol
Old 3/25/07, 10:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you at all run your car to low fuel levels ? I was alaways told even though we have filter that if I were to run low and there is any gunk or sedimint in the tank that it could get sucked up and plug thinks up, oh you do have a lock gas cap ?
Old 3/25/07, 10:22 PM
GT Member

Yeah I have ran it to close to the E and usually do becuase I go thru gas like crazy somehow (one of the symptoms) so I get gas every week or until I go Empty and I get 200 miles give or take to my tank. But since I bought the car like this, I always thought this is how the car ran... silly me

And yea I do have a locking gas cap, one with a key in order to open it.
Old 3/25/07, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stix66
Did you do it yourself?

If so will I have to disassemble the entire throttle body to take it off the upper manifold? Or can I just get away with taking the four nuts off the studs and take the throttle body off all together from the upper manifold?

Couple more questions:

Is the intake gasket reuseable or not?
And, should I replace all injectors or only the ones that are faulty. I can get all 8 Ford Racing 19lb injectors for about $200.
Leave the throttle body, egr all on the upper when you take it off, no need to dis- assemble that.
Old 3/25/07, 10:54 PM
GT Member

Awesome... that saves some work.

I will pressure test the fuel rail to see if the pump is bringing enough fuel tomorrow cuz my friend will bring back the tool, and then if its ok I will order the injectors as soon as I can.

I can not troubleshoot anything else really. My air,vacuum systems are in check, tranny is fine, fuel filter replaced, it was tuned up recently, and the cats are fine also.
Old 3/26/07, 07:45 PM

Hope all goes well, I remeber pulling my hair out!! Changed tps module, plugs Wires cap rotor fuel pump and filter twice....TPs and cleaned the throttle body out and nothing until I finally changed out those old injectors!!!
Old 3/26/07, 10:13 PM
GT Member

Man I hope this is the problem though. This chugging is getting really bad now.

I am taking an Automotive fuels class right now, and I just got off break. I asked my teacher what the heck he thinks could be the problem and he says something in the tranny is slipping. My class and teacher are gonna use it as a demo on wednesday. We will be checking my O2 sensors, fuel pressure and more possibly I do not know what he has in mind.

Btw yesterday I took it for a spin to show my neighbor whats up with it. I would floor it and the car REALLY lagged.The chugging is quite bad also.

I want to say injectors too jacostang but thats 200 bucks and if thats not the problem I am stuck. I do not have that much money to mess around with.

Unless something happens tomorrow I will update again wednesday after I get out class to tell what has been found.

Thanks again!
Old 3/27/07, 10:13 AM

Just one more question.. Does it backfire at all?????
Old 3/27/07, 09:46 PM
GT Member

No it does not backfire.
Old 3/27/07, 09:58 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Stix66
Yeah I have ran it to close to the E and usually do becuase I go thru gas like crazy somehow (one of the symptoms) so I get gas every week or until I go Empty and I get 200 miles give or take to my tank. But since I bought the car like this, I always thought this is how the car ran... silly me

And yea I do have a locking gas cap, one with a key in order to open it.
What? I get horrible mileage like yours and my car doesn't exhibit any of your symptoms. Seems to run fine. I don't drive that fast, and I usually don't jackrabbit from lights. Guess mine is just a thirsty beastie!
Old 3/27/07, 10:31 PM
GT Member

Hye maybe its not bad mileage then. I shouldn't really say it is since this is the only car I have really driven. lately since it has been warmer here in Chicago I have been getting over 200 miles to the tank and thats with driving like speed racer. lol

But too I havent driven like that since this problem has been getting worse by the week. The only time I gun it is when I am looking for a symptom/diagnosing.
Old 3/28/07, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Ok I am really hitting myself in the head.

So this whole problem was because of a LEAN Fuel mixture. Why? Well I made the mistake of not thinking simple first. I Skipped over the MAF sensor...

Well today I took that thing out and voila, on those little tiny wires was a thicker layer of dirt on the side of the air filter. I sprayed it off with some Brakleen put it back it and it feels like the car is brand new! I nearly pooped myself with the amount of power that car has now!

As far as the chugging sound, it is still there, maybe the new cap and rotor I am putting on tomorrow will make it go away, otherwise my teacher at school said it was normal because of the type of headers I have on (BBK Equal Lengths), and that I am trying to accelerate in a high gear.

Oh yeah and K&N Filters stink IMO, even with cleaning and oiling them periodically. I am going back to the standard paper. The pores on the K&N filters are really big compared to the paper.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions and help, this was truly a learning experience and I hope this thread will help someone out in the future.
Old 3/28/07, 08:39 PM
eci
Banned

1. Clean your MAF with electronics cleaner.
2. Change the fuel filter.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a page 2, I see it was the MAF. I clean mine every oil change.
Old 3/28/07, 11:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eci
1. Clean your MAF with electronics cleaner.
2. Change the fuel filter.

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a page 2, I see it was the MAF. I clean mine every oil change.
yeah the fuel filter was replaced too, but good tip with the MAF i will periodically clean it at the same time as the oil and air filter change!

Quick Reply: Is this normal?