Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

New here and to mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an 88 mustang 2 days ago and am curious about my options. It's says 5.0 on the side but the engine is really a 3.2 swapped out years ago. It runs, but poorly. I only drove it around the block and it stalled twice. I sounded like it was going to stall a few more times but it didn't. I got it from my neighbor and he says it needs a heating coil. (whatever that is) There is also a few other things wrong with it that I have noticed but nothing major. ( I.E. the dome light, power locks paint job)
I am really asking for some newbie/beginner advice. I am just ok with cars. I know how to change oil,tires, Basic maintenance type stuff and that's about all. I signed up for a bunch of mustang groups and will send out messages to them to get more opinions. I am also looking to see what others recommend.

Any websites, Magazines, And mustang clubs in Norfolk VA area? Any
other advice is astronomically appreciated.

Thanks
Vincent
Old 9/22/04, 04:17 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the board Vincent. You say it has a 3.2 in it?? Thats weird IMO. Some of the fox guys here should be able to help ya out
Old 9/22/04, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I think he ment 2.3, but it could be some sort of weird bored 3.0 v6. Mods and upkeep on fox body mustangs are very easy and you dont have to be service tech to figure it out. Best thing to do is go out and buy either a ford service manual or a chiltons for the car first thing, that way if you do have questions you have a handy guide to look them up in.

What you need to do it sit down and decide what you want out of this car and what you can afford to do to it. Thats the main problem with most people and car "projects" they have grand scemes but no ways. Figure out if you want this as a nice daily driver, or if you want a 5.0 swap or maybe a turbo for the 2.3 thats in there now. It really is depends on the person and what they like and want out of a car.

Hope this helps some
Old 9/22/04, 06:45 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Vincent-

Hello and Welcome!

Some magazine that may help . .

5.0 and Super Fords
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords

These two should help the most. No v6's were offered in '88, so I assume you have a 2.3 4-cylinder/5.0 swap car.

Is 5.0 fuel injected or Carb?
Do you know if it has 'mass-air', or speed density? (If it is a fuel injected.)
Old 9/29/04, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome

says it needs a heating coil
Maybe he means Heater Core The heater core is responsible for your heat in the winter time. The warmed antifreeze from the engine runnig circulates from the engine through the core and that's where the heated air comes from through the vents. A bad heater core will leak and smell up your car when you turn the heat on.
Old 3/11/05, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

you should check out the book.... How To Tune & Modify Your Ford Mustang. Its a great book. I baught it when I first got my stang and I really didnt know that much about working on them. Probally about the same that you know (the basics) but it taught me alot and if you want to learn about your options that you have with the car than this is def. the book. Its great. I would highly recommend it. I am pretty sure that I baught it for 20.00 at a Barnes and Nobels. Good Luck!