Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My Baby's sick....

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/05, 11:36 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

:scratch: The noise is coming from the tailshaft section of the transmission, which is a five speed. When standing next to the car, it sounds much like an exhaust rattle, which is what I originally thought it was, until I climbed under it. It rattles while in nuetral or with it in gear with the clutch depressed. I did notice a little fluid in that area also. I checked the fluid while I was under there and it appeared to fine and clean. I know absolutely nothing about tranny's and probally will have to take it to the shop, my Haynes is pretty vauge in that area also, are there bearings in that area that could be going out? The cars only got about 85000 on it, I'm sure that the tranny is the original. If anyone has any ideas on what I can expect, or had a similiar problem, let me know...Thanks
Old 9/24/05, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know a lot about tranny's either but it sounds like a clutch problem when the clutch is engaged, or somewhere in the linkage of the flywheel and the tranny
Old 9/24/05, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Are you like totally sure that's where the noise is coming from?
Have you tried using a short garden hose like a Doctor would use a stethescope.

I have used a hose to the ear to track noise in the past.

I once fouind a loose starter. Yet another time the thin metal plate around the catalitic converter was loose.

and yet another it was sheet metal that covered the front of the bell housing.

I just can't imagine the tail shaft making the the sounds you described. The Metal shaft is some pretty solid metal there.
But I suppose it could happen.

Its just not ever happened to me. good luck

It also helps to plug an oil funnel into the hose.
This will make your listening device directional.

Hope this helps............
Old 9/24/05, 06:51 PM
GT Member

I'm almost positive that's where the noise is coming from. I even had my buddy crawl under there and listen and he agreed. The noise is not near the motor at all and it's got brand new exhaust.(American Thunder with Cats and H pipe) like I said, it does sounds similiar to a exhaust rattle when your standing next to the car but I'm sure it's not. It's weird, but I have not a clue on the internal's of the tranny and what goes on in their. She'll probally be going to the shop....
Old 9/24/05, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Have a the shop put it on the lift with the motor running.
they can test it better with leather gloves touching things till they find the sound.

Unless its up off the ground with either jack stands or drive up ramps its almost impossible to find on the ground .

Good luck keep us posted

I just don't want to think a tranny would make that kind of rattle sound.
Old 9/24/05, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Daysleepin@September 24, 2005, 8:12 PM
Have a the shop put it on the lift with the motor running.
they can test it better with leather gloves touching things till they find the sound.

Unless its up off the ground with either jack stands or drive up ramps its almost impossible to find on the ground .

Good luck keep us posted

I just don't want to think a tranny would make that kind of rattle sound.
I did have the car up on ramps, so we were completely under the car and basically right on "top" of the noise.

Thanks for your input Daysleepin, I appreciate it!
Old 10/5/05, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Ok, heres the update, good news, the mysterious noise was not coming from the transmission. :w00t: ( I climbed under that car three different time too! ) and indeed was in the exaust.( which honestly in the beginning I suspected) I just got it back and the noise was tracked to the air pipe that runs between the two cats, he used a trusty garden hose (exactly like you suggested Daysleepin, and stupid me, did'nt listen) and listened to the internals of the tranny first, everything sounded great. ( It was funny because the first thing he actually said when I pulled in was "Thats an exaust rattle" and me thinkin, "nope", just cant be. ) Then listened to the cats individually, no noise, hmmm..but as soon as he listened to that pipe it was a loud as heck. He said the air pump sounded good too, thinking maybe the noise was traveling down the pipe. Nope, not the case. Now my question... that exaust is basically brand new (which was put on by the previous owner) and something has already come loose inside the cats??(American Thunder with H pipe) Am I gonna have to deal with that noise, which completely annoys me or am I gonna have to tear it apart and replace the cats?? :bang: Aside from all the whining I've just done, I'm immensly relieved that it is indeed not the tranny, which would have been much more costly. ^_^
Old 10/7/05, 03:09 PM
GT Member

I thinking the shop that installed them might be the place to go if you know where that is. Depending how long its been they might be some warranty or something. Even so it should not be to much to cut them, apart and find the offending rattle.

My sons had an out side heat shield plate that came unwelded but was in to tight of a place to just fall off.
I used 3 screw driver clamps like you find on after market radiator hose. It sounds a bit cheesy but it stopped the rattle.

And thanks for the up date
I too am learning every day :bang:
Right now I have a cherry picker stretching a timing belt so it will fit.
Mercy there has to be an easier way.