Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Muffler opinion

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/07, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Muffler opinion

I heard a 91 mustang and loved it. I caught him and he was running Mac headers,off road H,Mac mufflers and it sounded really throaty and smooth. It's the kind of exhaust that when you hear it you have to look but it's not like a Harley passing you by. My ? is. i am running in my 93 vert, stock headers, Mac high flow cat H-pipe and Flowmaster 2 chambers. If I change the mufflers only, would I get close to that sound, and would headers be even better. I know he has off road and headers that will breathe better. Do the Mac's just sound different? I have always ran Flows. Thanks for any info. Which kind of Mac mufflers also?
Old 3/28/07, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait, IS or ISN'T llike a Harley passing by?

Cause the old old Shelbys with the 289 sound like a Harley passing you by, kinda. Best sounding motor ever is a Ford small block Windsor with an unsilenced air cleaner, hydraulic flat tappet cam, headers and side exhaust.
Old 3/28/07, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

The cats make a huge difference in sound. When I installed my shorty headers I barely noticed any change in sound, just a tiny bit deeper tone was all. I believe the Mac design is almost identical to the Flowmaster design so you probably won't a different sound. Mac only offers one design of muffler, so I think the only way to get that sound is to get an off road H pipe.

Also, if you do a heads/cam/intake or supercharger install the exhuast note will be louder and more aggressive.

heres a video of my car driving by, is this the sound you want?; http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2017674431
Old 3/29/07, 05:37 PM

Trying to figure this Off Road system out?

I am also having a problem with the Mac system.
Old 3/29/07, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

What exact problem are you having? The only problem I have is that my catback is rusted pretty good after not even 2 years of being installed. I know aluminized steel is garbage but I thought that "durablack" coated was supposed to stay on longer than a few months. I'm also having trouble keeping the system aligned and hanging correctly, the H-pipe came with hooks but I don't have any hangers on the car above the midpipe to hold it up!?!? So its just hooked up at the catback and headers.... kinda makes me worry.

I can't complain about the sound one bit, I love it but I'll be upgrading to a stainless system when this one finally rots out. I don't mind trying out a non-chambered style muffler but does anybody even make a stainless H-pipe? Everyone is obsessed with x's... bah
Old 3/29/07, 08:16 PM

Ill try to explain better. I have Mac High flow cat kit w/ Cat back Flows. I want to get the H piece that has no cats so I can make an Off road. The hooks are on my catted part of the H now. The new style has the hooks on the long tube part that connects to the stock headers. As you said they dont even line up!. So with my present hookup instead of buying just the small H-pipe piece i would have to buy the whole 3 piece offroad section because when I take off the cat part then there will be no hooks. I just want the ease of switching back and forth from offroad to Cats and it looks like the Mac has the easy bolt off, bolt on system. But if the system rots out and the hooks dont even line up I have to look elsewhere.
Old 3/29/07, 11:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok i'm still confused so lets take this one part at a time;

1. do you have long tube headers, or shorty style headers on the car?

2. what "long tube part that connects to the stock headers" are you refering to? Do you just mean the section of the h-pipe that runs from the actual cross over part up to the headers? (also has the O2 sensor connected to it)

my exhaust connects, but it seems to slip and get out of alignment a little bit, not like it won't even seal up or anything

whether you buy the 3-piece h-pipe, or a 1 or 2 piece, they are all gonna be the same overall length, so I don't see where or why they won't interchange

like I said, my car doesn't even have the rubber insulators hanging down from the car for the h-pipe to hook to, so its just held in by being bolted to te headers and the catback system
Old 4/14/07, 02:09 PM

Valentino,

It's been a while. So i'll start over. I have the MAc high flow cat system w/ Flowmaster Catback system. I have the long tube part w/ the o2 sensor that connects to the headers, then I have the h pipe w/ the cats, then 2 small flow tubes from the h pipe to the mufflers. I just want to change the part with the cats to straight pipes. But my system has hanger hooks on the cat part. Now Mac has informed me the the hooks are on the long tube part that connects to the headers. So I cannot just buy the small h-pipe section because there is no hooks. So I would have to buy the whole offroad kit. Hope that explains a little.
Old 4/14/07, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

ok ok I understand now. I would suggest getting the the new off-road h-pipe made for long tube headers and take both new and old h-pipe to a shop and have them cut the hangers off the old catted pipe and weld them on the new h-pipe.

I have the full length h-pipe and there was no where to hang it so mine is just connected to the headers and the catback. Given that your h-pipe is shorter and lighter you could probably get away with doing the same thing if you wanted