Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

I need some HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 6/30/07, 12:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I need some HELP!!

Ok, so anyone with 2 project cars and an '07 DD/dragcar needs help but thats besides the point!!!LOL Anyways, here's the problem, my '84 GT350 is in dire need of some work. The rear floors are shot and if that was the only problem, I'd just fix it and be done. Well, the car was rear-clipped at some point before I bought it (if I'd only known!!) and the rust damage is pretty extensive in these areas. Not just the floors, but the quarter window area and rockers too(btw, its a T-top car). I've thought about it a lot and have actually started looking for a donor body to completely re-body it but I think I could repair it too. Repair all of the rust in the floors, beef up the rockers and quarters, then 'cage the whole dang thing. Big question is, is the car worth repairing or should I just rebody it? Sorry, no pics, will try to get some up in the next week or so(going on vacation). Thanks, John
Old 6/30/07, 12:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go for a donar car, unless you can not find one better than what you have.
Old 6/30/07, 09:46 AM
Service Manager

Received 431 Likes on 209 Posts
Those cars are not that expensive....I'd probably try to find a nicer car to start with.
Old 6/30/07, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Cool some pics

Here's some pictures, I'm going to be in AL this next week, anyone got a nice Southern roller for sale cheap? Problem is that I have owned this car since '92, its my first Fox, and my kids have all ridden in it and now want it, so there is some sentimental value in it, but then again, how safe would it be for them in an accident if it was repaired?
Attached Images     
Old 6/30/07, 04:21 PM
Service Manager

Well if the car has sentimental value and you want to keep that car then replace the floor pans and install good subframe connectors with a jacking rail/matrix brace kit. Clean up the welds where they are rust and if there is any area they missed...weld it up and paint everything when done. The subframes and bracing will help give more strength to the car than it had originally and should be safe. But that is a pretty big project....so it's up to you.
Old 6/30/07, 04:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, I know, its a big project. The car already has Kenny Brown super-subs in it, installed a few years ago. Was planning on the jacking rails to stiffen the rockers, and a 'cage to tie it all together. But, I've also found an '83 Capri that I'm gonna look at up here, and I'll be looking while I'm in 'bama too.
Old 6/30/07, 04:38 PM
Service Manager

Well if you are in the area I have a T-top '85 GT sitting here....and it's white....I'm keeping the engine/trans but the rest I can let go pretty cheap. I have no title for it though so you'd have to go through a title company to get one which isn't really a big deal since it's an '85. Your welcome to look at it to see if it's something you can use...I'm 20 minutes east of Birmingham.
Old 6/30/07, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sure!! I'll be in Gadsden, so if you could give me directions or contact info, I'd appreciate it!! Wife and 3 of my kids are coming with me so I'll be in the Excursion, might as well use the towing capabilities of her truck!! John
Old 6/30/07, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I would personally find another car to work with. It would be a lot less work if you found one that was rust free, and had not been clipped/wrecked.
Old 7/1/07, 11:08 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Sure!! I'll be in Gadsden, so if you could give me directions or contact info, I'd appreciate it!! Wife and 3 of my kids are coming with me so I'll be in the Excursion, might as well use the towing capabilities of her truck!! John

You'll be close...about 30 minutes away at most. I sent you a PM....