Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Helping a friend put a Turbo on his Notch . .

Search this Thread

Old 4/13/06, 07:16 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Helping a friend (BUHBYY on our local board) here in Cincinnati put a Cartech Outlaw Turbo on his Notch. Here are some pictures. He's going with a Carb setup . .

Old 4/13/06, 09:09 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks fun!
Old 4/13/06, 10:08 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] turbo
Old 4/14/06, 11:08 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Notchback
Old 4/14/06, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome!
Old 4/15/06, 08:36 AM

Hey guys thanks , it is my car and Evil and I are gonna make it one screaming Beeotch!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 06:35 PM
GTR Member

Holy Drag Car batman!!!!!!! I love the look, racing seats, roll cage, skinnies and wides, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] I hate carbs (i suck at tuning them, lol), but thats just personal preference, good luck!
Old 4/18/06, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

hehehe saawweeeeeet!
Old 4/19/06, 12:09 PM
GTR Member

I was wondering what size turbo and intake are you using, and what intercooler?
Old 4/19/06, 01:00 PM

Sweet Action! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Although I am still not to sure how all this turbo business works?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 4/19/06, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
It's a cartech Outlaw Turbo kit. I think it's a 76mm, and not sure about the intercooler. Buhbyy can answer that . . .
Old 4/20/06, 06:37 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mustang5000 @ April 19, 2006, 3:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Sweet Action! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/drool.gif[/img] Although I am still not to sure how all this turbo business works?? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Ok, let me explain it to you, you have a turbo which mounts off of a header or manifold, one side of the turbo, the hot side as it is called, and the exhaust gas enters that and it spins a turbine and the wastegate holds the gas until the turbo is spooled, once spooled the wastegate bleeds off the extra amount of gas through the exhaust, on the other side is the cold side which has a pipe on one end connected to the intake and the turbine from the hot side is double sided and spins a turbine on the cold side which pulls the air in and forces it into the intake, the oil pan is tapped for oil to be sent to the turbo to lubricate the turbine. I'm not 100% positive I stated everything correctly, so if anyone wants to jump in be my guest, but you get the idea.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Evil_Capri @ April 19, 2006, 4:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It's a cartech Outlaw Turbo kit. I think it's a 76mm, and not sure about the intercooler. Buhbyy can answer that . . .
[/b][/quote]
whoa, sounds most awesome!

EDIT-Thanks Valentino for catching my mistake about the oil being a lubricant, not a coolant [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ April 20, 2006, 6:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, let me explain it to you, you have a turbo which mounts off of a header or manifold, one side of the turbo, the hot side as it is called, and the exhaust gas enters that and it spins a turbine and the wastegate holds the gas until the turbo is spooled, once spooled the wastegate bleeds off the extra amount of gas thought the exhaust, on the other side is the cold side which has a pipe on one end connected to the intake and the turbine from the hot side is double sided and spins a turbine on the cold side which pulls the air in and forces it into the intake, the oil pan is tapped for oil to be sent to the turbo to cool the turbine. I'm not 100% positive I stated everything correctly, so if anyone wants to jump in be my guest, but you get the idea.
whoa, sounds most awesome!
[/b][/quote]

I think you got it right, except the oil is used to lubricate the turbo, not cool it. Oil gets VERY hot even in a plain jane motor so it won't cool much.
Old 4/20/06, 09:14 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Valentino @ April 20, 2006, 9:39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think you got it right, except the oil is used to lubricate the turbo, not cool it. Oil gets VERY hot even in a plain jane motor so it won't cool much.
[/b][/quote]
Ahh you're correct, whoops, I knew that...lol...cooling..idk where my mind was [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the Explanation! I think I follow - don't laugh, but when the exhaust has spooled the turbo and finally gets done, it exits through the cold side some where? i.e. out the exhaust pipes?
Old 4/21/06, 09:33 AM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mustang5000 @ April 21, 2006, 2:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for the Explanation! I think I follow - don't laugh, but when the exhaust has spooled the turbo and finally gets done, it exits through the cold side some where? i.e. out the exhaust pipes?
[/b][/quote]
np, as i stated, the extra air after the boost is made is bleed off through the exhaust...I'm not quite 100% sure which side that goes on now that I think about it....but either way.
Old 4/21/06, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

after the exhaust spins the turbine I believe it exits through the rest of the exhaust system, right? And thinking back, I guess the oil does actually help cool the turbo because without oil running through it, it would be even hotter. So I guess after lubrication, the oil also aids in cooling. Just to CMA.
Old 4/21/06, 10:39 PM
GTR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Valentino @ April 21, 2006, 5:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
after the exhaust spins the turbine I believe it exits through the rest of the exhaust system, right? And thinking back, I guess the oil does actually help cool the turbo because without oil running through it, it would be even hotter. So I guess after lubrication, the oil also aids in cooling. Just to CMA.
[/b][/quote]
but its main purpose isn't too cool...thats why i got rid of it out of my original post. also, doesn't the exhaust gas enter the downpipe then exit through the usual exhaust if i remember correctly? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 03:28 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ April 19, 2006, 12:12 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I was wondering what size turbo and intake are you using, and what intercooler?
[/b][/quote]

It is the Cartech Outlaw Kit with a 78mm Precision Turbo , with a 4 core intercooler , I am gonna try Blow through to be different it should work but if it does not I have all the Fuel Injection stuff [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 5/1/06, 04:53 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for all the people that don't understand turbos...

the turbo has two housings..each as a turbine with a shaft that connects the two.. then exhuast pushes the one turbine and passes through and out your exhuast. the intake air goes in the other housing and the air gets compressed since the exhaust is pushing the other turbine which is connected to the other turbine. so now you have more air getting crambed into your intake and now the car adds more fuel to compensate for the added air and you make more hp.

and yes the oil is not there to cool it but to lubricate it.

if you want to cool the charge you would want to add a intercooler.

Quick Reply: Helping a friend put a Turbo on his Notch . .