Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Help with 91 5-speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/05, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I just replaced the clutch in my '91 because the throwout bearing was humming and it was getting harder and harder to go into gear.

So now the clutch is done, but it's still tough to go into gear.

Is this a clutch adjustment problem?? Or is this something else?

I assumed it was just the clutch, but since I got it replaced now I don't know if I should take the car back and have them adjust it as that is the problem... or if it's some other problem that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for any help guys.

BTW my car has 187k on it
Old 4/20/05, 06:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple things come to mind....

Is it hard to get into every gear, or just 1 gear?
If it's just one gear, look for an internal transmission problem.
If it's every gear, you COULD simply have a clutch adjustment problem.

Does the clutch "engage" high or low in the pedal travel?
IS the stock (plastic!) pedal quadrant still in place? They tend to give up over time, and no longer "self-adjust".
Was the input bearing retainer replaced as part of the clutch job? The factory one is aluminum, and tends to gall badly - especially on a hi-mile car. If you replaced the throwout bearing, but did NOT replace the bearing retainer (which the TO bearing rides on), then it's probably hanging up. :nono:
Old 4/20/05, 06:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds like (possibly) the synchos are worn and need to be replaced. Yes, the trans will have to be rebuilt. You should get all the synchros replaced at the same time since it will be torn down. I did my own, and it wasn't really as difficult as I thought.

What Bob said is also true about the bearing retainer. A new STEEL one is a good idea.
Old 4/21/05, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

could be the trans, but it very well could be an adjustment problem as well. If I were you I would go ahead and spend the $100 on a new cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster to see if that is the problem. That will tell you if it is in fact the trans or not, plus at 187k miles odds are it is in the time to replace those things anyways.
Old 4/21/05, 04:24 PM
GTR Member

go get a T-5 out of a wreck or junkyard if the comment by joker doesnt solve the problem
Old 4/22/05, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It turns out it was an adjustment problem... of course the shop said, "oh well we checked it but there wasn't anything wrong" then I go out to the car and it shifts in every gear like butter.

Very strange. So either they fixed it but didn't want to admit it... or somehow magically the clutch started working.

Anyway thanks very much for the helpful suggestions.
Old 4/22/05, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad you problem was fixed. However, I would still look into getting a cable and qaudrant when you can. It is well known that the ford quadrants are crap, and cable can stretch over time (paticularly if you drive the crap out of it), causing the exact problem you had here.
Old 4/24/05, 09:53 AM
Cobra Member

So they wouldn't have replaced the cable when they did the clutch?

I just figured that would be part of it. I'll look into doing that though, but I'm going to have to find a new shop.

Anyone know a good shop in the Hollywood / Los Angeles area?
Old 4/27/05, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Imatk@April 24, 2005, 9:56 AM
So they wouldn't have replaced the cable when they did the clutch?

I just figured that would be part of it. I'll look into doing that though, but I'm going to have to find a new shop.

Anyone know a good shop in the Hollywood / Los Angeles area?

No, most shops will not automatically replace the cable when you get a new clutch. You would probably have to ask them to do so as the cable doesnt come with a clutch kit. I dont know know how common it is for the cables to stretch, but I did have one do it before. The quadrants tearing up is pretty common from what I understand.
Old 6/30/05, 07:41 PM

Hope it is not too late to reply, but I had trouble with the 91 I am restoring for my son. The problem is the shaft on the outside of the tranny, if not used all the time it becomes rusted and the clutch lever sticks holding the throwout bearing against the pressure plate. Just get in there lubricate it (I suggest using Kroil) and working the lever until it is loose.
Old 6/30/05, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks Dave, yeah I suppose whatever it was worked itself out. It shifts just fine now. But it was quite a pain for about two weeks.

I had the shop adjust the clutch and that helped quite a bit, and then it just gradually got better.

But thanks for the advice