Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Hello! Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/17, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello! Need some help...

Hello, new member here...
I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on for me.
I've always loved Mustangs. I used to own a '66 coupe, but unfortunately sold it a few years ago...wish I wouldn't have. A couple years after I sold my '66, I found a Fox body sitting on the side of the road. I thought I would see what they wanted for it. Well, I bought it shortly thereafter, and hope to fix it up as the years go on. It is a 1983, 5.0, 4-speed convertible. White with red interior, and a black top.
Here's my question - I've tried to do some research on her, and I'm hitting a brick wall. 1983 was the first year Ford brought back the convertible after not making any for 10 years. I've found a little information on production numbers - looks like there were 22,437 convertible GLX models made. Of those, 5,368 were 5.0. However, from what I've found, there were also 1,001 convertible GT's made that year - 993 US and 8 Canada. I'm wondering how I can tell the difference between a GT and a GLX. Regardless, it looks like my model is somewhat rare, but if it's a GT, then it's really rare.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone,
Jason
Old 3/9/17, 08:24 AM

Thanks for that info Gravydog. That helps me out a little bit...

Since I bought the car used, I have no idea what the sticker price was originally...
Mine does not have a hood scoop, however, the hood was replaced before I bought it according to the previous owner.
It does not have power mirrors.
Mine does not have stripes...at least anymore. Could have in the past, but I don't know.

Mine does have red interior, and it does have carpet on the lower part of the doors.
It does have cruise control.
It does have low fuel warning, low washer, lights burnt out...
Old 3/10/17, 09:51 AM

I called Ford Motors - they gave me a website for Marti Auto. www.martiauto.com/reports2.cfm
Anyone have any experience with these guys, and the product they sell? It looks like their top of the line package will probably answer the questions I have about my Mustang, but it's $250...
Just didn't know if anyone had an opinion about them.
Thanks!
Old 3/10/17, 10:21 AM

Awesome, thanks Gravydog! Looking forward to seeing your example.
Old 3/13/17, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I just ordered a Marti Report myself for a 1988 GT I own. Marti just help uncover one of the two Bullet Mustang movie cars located in Mexico last week. He is very good!
Old 3/13/17, 10:25 PM

Gravydog, thank you very much for sharing that example! After seeing the details on that report, that is exactly the information I was looking for. I was going to get the Elite report, but you just saved me quite a bit of money - thank you! I can always upgrade to the Elite at a later time...
Roger, thank you very much as well for your input. I really appreciate you both for giving me your opinion!
Gravydog, hopefully my Mustang will one day look like the one in the pictures you shared - that is a sweet looking ride!