Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Future Project Car.

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/09, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future Project Car.

What I was thinking about doing in the future, about 5 years down the road unless I find some good deals, was build either a 89 GT or 93 Cobra, depending on what available at the time. I love the look of both, but I like the subtle design cues of the 89 GT a bit more. But, the body kit for it is pretty hard to find, so I might build the 93.

Anywho, I have my engine and transmission picked out already. http://www.tandlengines.com/ford_sb_...sed_index.html The forth one down. It says it's a direct replacement so everything should line up fine. And the tranny is this pretty little thing here... http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...51cPath=108_96

My question about these 2, is will they line up correctly. Both are pretty much direct replacements, but this doesn't always been a perfect connection. Also, anyone know how much torque this tranny can withstand? Doesn't say on there, but I'm sure it's over 500.

The reason I picked the T and L engine, was because it has similar output as the BOSS 302 from Ford Racing, but about 1/2 the price.

For the interior, I'm going to have a somewhat modernized dash. I'll be putting the 03/04 Cobra front seats in, and will probably leave out the back seat.

So, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 10/8/09, 08:03 AM

First of all delegating yourself to the specific year of 89 is just plain silly.

The Aero design lasted from 87-93 and that goes for the refreshed interior as well(although 79-86 interiors are much nicer imo).

Here are the differences between 87-93 that would matter to you:

87-88 = Speed density instead of MAF
89-93 = MAF
91-93 = 5 spoke pony rims(16'' if I remember correctly)

Other than that.....and especially if you plan on changing everything including the engine....just find any 87-93 GT.....because in the end it just doesn't matter. They all look the same.

I will say though if you come across a 79-82 Notch for sale I will name my first born child after you.
Old 10/8/09, 09:19 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MunkeyOnTheLoose-witha5.0
First of all delegating yourself to the specific year of 89 is just plain silly.

The Aero design lasted from 87-93 and that goes for the refreshed interior as well(although 79-86 interiors are much nicer imo).

Here are the differences between 87-93 that would matter to you:

87-88 = Speed density instead of MAF
89-93 = MAF
91-93 = 5 spoke pony rims(16'' if I remember correctly)

Other than that.....and especially if you plan on changing everything including the engine....just find any 87-93 GT.....because in the end it just doesn't matter. They all look the same.

I will say though if you come across a 79-82 Notch for sale I will name my first born child after you.
And don't forget no steering wheel adjustability on airbag years.
Old 10/8/09, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just say '89 b/c it's easier than typing out '87-'93. As you know, I'm quite lazy with my key strokes and don't like typing out unnecessary words.

I want 17" FR500 wheel though. They look great on foxes!

Also, not a fan of the body of the '79-'86 as much as the '87-'93. Sorry, but it's true! And I like Hatchback more than notches! So, as we've discussed already, I'll be putting in a lot of chassis stiffing stuff!
Old 10/9/09, 03:34 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cool idea. +1 on wanting a 79-82 notch though. I miss my 80.
Old 10/9/09, 04:44 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DrunkenDragon713
What I was thinking about doing in the future, about 5 years down the road unless I find some good deals, was build either a 89 GT or 93 Cobra, depending on what available at the time. I love the look of both, but I like the subtle design cues of the 89 GT a bit more. But, the body kit for it is pretty hard to find, so I might build the 93.

Anywho, I have my engine and transmission picked out already. http://www.tandlengines.com/ford_sb_...sed_index.html The forth one down. It says it's a direct replacement so everything should line up fine. And the tranny is this pretty little thing here... http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...51cPath=108_96

My question about these 2, is will they line up correctly. Both are pretty much direct replacements, but this doesn't always been a perfect connection. Also, anyone know how much torque this tranny can withstand? Doesn't say on there, but I'm sure it's over 500.

The reason I picked the T and L engine, was because it has similar output as the BOSS 302 from Ford Racing, but about 1/2 the price.

For the interior, I'm going to have a somewhat modernized dash. I'll be putting the 03/04 Cobra front seats in, and will probably leave out the back seat.

So, any suggestions will be appreciated.
I dont know if these guys are the same people as you are going to be getting your motor from but I found this on another forum I am part of about T&L Engines. Here is the link........

http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10284
Old 10/9/09, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sadly it's telling me that I must log in before viewing.
Old 10/9/09, 08:10 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Hmmmm Thats strange cuz it a free site and I always see guest on there looking around on there.
Old 10/9/09, 08:34 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Sadly it's telling me that I must log in before viewing.
Here are a few post in the thread about T&L Engines........

I have been dealing with T and L for six months now and still do not have what I ordered and paid for. I ordred a turnkey ready to run 347 stroker from T and L back in December 08 based upon magazine articles. When I placed the order they told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks to be shipped to me. I followed up at the six wek mark and was told soon. I started to follow up agian with phone calls and e-mails at about 8 weeks. no response until 16 weeks. then I was told the engine was done and just needed to be dyno tested. More calls and e-mails and no response. finally I received a crate May 6. When I opened up the crate the engine was not complete, mising carb, spacer, coil, fuel line and several other parts I ordered. after seveal more phone calls and e-mails they finally sent me a notice they shipped the parts. I got the shipment and still no carb, spacer, fuel line, coil etc.. Today still no response to my call to Lloyds cell phone business and e-mails. Good thing I paid with AMEX they are investigation now. T and L mis-represents what they deliver and shorts you on parts and service. They rip you off. I will now have to order and pay for another $1,000 + worth of parts that they were supose to supply and did not. I just hope that the engine runs when I finally get it completed. Six months and counting.

DO NOT EVERY USE T and L

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys are just down the road from me, I dealt with them once, many years ago. I do not remember the exact details, but I do remember the outcome was I was not a happy customer. I have been using a local guy who has been here for many years, he used to race at Mooresville, I have NEVER heard one person say that he has done them wrong. He is a one man show, everything done in his machine shop he does himself. If you want his name and number, just send me a message. In the meantime, I will ask him if it is ok to post his name and shop number in the forum.

Good luck in getting squared away with T&L.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am having the same problem with T and L Engines. My issue started in Jan of 2009. I was looking for an engine for one of my customers street rods I was working on. T and L told me 4 to 8 weeks for one of there 408 SBC engines. We got the funds to them to start building about Feb 1 2009. We were think The first week of May to mid May we would have it. At the end of May they told me that they were waiting for valve covers. Then in June they had a problem with there Dyno. In July T and L told me that the engine would be done and Dynoed and I would have it by the last week of July. They did NOT ship it. In Aug. all we got was more BULL**it on the phone and now in SEPT. they DON'T return any calls.

So I contacted T and L Engines via one of there adds on Racingjunk and I will share it with you

I copyed and pasted the messages from my In Box

Subject: Re: 408 Small Block Chevy Stroker Engine 575 HP
Re: Ad #1418715 - 408 Small Block Chevy Stroker Engine 575 HP

On [2009-09-19 9:54] ZZMAN wrote:
You said as long as 10+ weeks. How long is the + side of 10 Weeks? What is the longest time it has taken T and L to build one of your Crate Engines.

On [2009-09-18 11:23:55] luckylloyd wrote:
> Anywhere from 4 to 10+ weeks. Just depends on the combination. I would recommend supplying a # where someone can reach you to discuss. Thanks.
>
> On [2009-09-18 10:49:55] ZZMAN wrote:
> > I have called but no answer. How long does it take for you to build a engine.
>

T and L Engines has NOT returned my message from the 19th of Sept
Old 10/9/09, 08:53 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Hi

I just wanted to update the Racingjunk Forum.

I talked to T and L week of 9/22/09 they informed me that I would have the Dyno Video of our Engine week of 10/01/2009

I just got off the Phone with T and L Engines 10/01/09 and they reported that the engine was in the assembly stage and that was as of THREE (3) weeks ago.
and they said they will call me back with a Update on Fri 10/02/2009

looks like I will be having a 5 to 6 hr drive if this is not resolved in the next week or so.

We got an 540ci Chevy motor from them took about 2 months but we where not in a hurry.This was are first time dealing with them.We had no problems with phone calls or anything like that.When the motor was ready we made the drive to there place.Very nice and clean.The guys we talk to there where all nice.Did not have a problem with any of them.They had the motor on the Dyno ready to go.Made about 4 pulls on the Dyno and it made 898hp at 7000rpm..I am glad to say we have put over 125 runs on the motor and the only thing we have done is change the oil and Check Valve lash and switch it over to Alcohol..The motor has ran a best of a 5.28 at 130 mph in the 1/8 in a 2465 lbs car & driver.We are please with what we got and has been trouble free..

Thats all the important post on T&L Engines.
Old 10/9/09, 10:32 PM
FR500 Member

I 2nd the '89 Mustang option - don't need the airbag junk. Keep the adjustability and option to switch to a aftermarket steering wheel, (It's technically illegal to replace a airbag-equipped steering wheel on a street vehicle where I'm at) & if you ever have to replace the clockspring, good luck finding one for a airbag-equipped Fox! Plus, you don't have to deal with chasing more diagnostic codes should one of the sensors or the module go kaput. Can always swap the '91-'93 fenders for the larger wheel opening at a later date.
Old 10/9/09, 11:15 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Throw a set of AFRs, a cam, GT40 tubular intake, longtubes, and you'll have more power than that 347 for waaaaay less cash
Old 10/10/09, 03:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

So, no T & L then. Might just save up the extra cash and get the a Roush motor. Does the 511IRFE fit into the engine bay of a fox?
Old 10/10/09, 10:36 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

So, no T & L then. Might just save up the extra cash and get the a Roush motor. Does the 511IRFE fit into the engine bay of a fox?
I dont know how big(size wise) that motor is but, I am going to be putting in a 460 in my Fox Stang. It will still have room to change plugs and headers.
Old 10/10/09, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

511ci. Might be a tight squeeze.
Old 10/10/09, 11:23 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

I dont know if they use the same block or not. The only mod that needed to be done with mine was I had to put tubular K-member on it. I know someone else that has a 460 in their Fox body and they did that too and it actually dropped the motor down and he didnt have to do anything to fit the tranny in it either. I got p[ics of his showing how much room there is in the engine comp with a 460 in already. I will just have to email them to you if you would like me too. It might give you a better idea on how much room there is.
Old 10/11/09, 03:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea man, I'd appreciate that. PMing you my email now.
Old 10/11/09, 10:36 AM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Sent 3 emails to you. just let me know if you got them.
Old 10/11/09, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got your email. Thanks. What's the performance spec on that engine? Also the compression ratio if you know it.
Old 10/11/09, 09:27 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

I can tyr to get you that info. I dont know if he knows or not.

Quick Reply: Future Project Car.