Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

A few questions bout chips

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/07, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few questions bout chips

I have saved up a little money to do some performance mods to my 93 GT, and i have a few questions.

I want to buy something for my computer, however, the custom tuners are too new for my car. The guy at the Superchips tent at stangfest told me the they make chips that are basically piggybacks on the ECU. I dont know alot about this topic, just some of the general stuff.

My Questions: When i buy the chip from superchips, is it delivered to me ready to install, or do i need to go to a tuner to install/tweak it? Secondly, once the chip is installed and i do some other mod to my car, do i have to buy another chip, or just bring it to a tuner to reprogram it? Also, after I buy the chip, do i need to buy a tuner in addition to it?

These questions have boggled my mind, but it seems difficult to find information online about it because most websites only give information about the tuners themselves, not the chip for the older vehicles. I appreciate any feedback that can push me in the right direction!
Old 6/14/07, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

From what I've read at a lot of forums you don't need a chip for a 5.0. The main way we tune our cars is turning the distributor and adjusting fuel pressure. OK, I just saw you have GT40 heads and a cam, so you might be benefit from a chip but mail-order ones are junk. Get it dyno-tuned and have them burn a custom chip there.
Old 6/15/07, 06:56 AM
Service Manager

Received 431 Likes on 209 Posts
Chips are a waste of time/money on a Fox Mustang...period. Like Valentino said...we tune using timing, fuel pressure. I've never installed a chip on a Fox computer and always had great A/F ratios and made good power(over 500 RWHP on a couple).

Once you get into 1994 and newer then comes the time you have to resort to a chip or tuner....this is because of the OBD system. The earlier EEC IV systems don't benefit from a chip. Mail order chips are generic programs that really don't do anything for you.

Now there "could" be a time when a custom tuner could make some changes via a chip that may be beneficial but you would have to get into a pretty radical setup which would cause the computer to have problems running the car but VERY few people get to those levels....and if they do they usually go with a stand alone system.

Years back we used to take and install A9L computers into SN-95 Mustangs(94-95) gains would be 1/10th in the quarter mile and easier tuning ability.
Old 6/15/07, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

On the matter of hand-held tuners, there is the TwEECer and Anderson Ford PMS but those are more advanced than the simple "93 octane tune" tuners for the 4.6 and have a decent learning curve. Plus I think you only really need them if you have serious engine work done.
Old 6/15/07, 04:11 PM

Wow, i wasnt expecting that, lol. I really appreciate the info. Knowing this leads me to ask another question.

I have been to a couple car shows and noticed that alot of the fox bodies have the MSD distributor/ignition. I understand that it sends multiple sparks rapidly to burn up all the fuel in the cyclinder, but thats about the extent of what i know... Question is, do i need both the ignition and the distributor? Will this help get the car tuned properly when i take it to a shop? Is there any significant horsepower or torque gains?

I apologize for my utter newbishness (dunno if thats a word or not hehe) but maybe you guys could just link me a website that i can read over to get a general knowledge of how certain mods work?

I am a poor college student that wants to go fast cheaply, which is what a fox is good for. I just dont have the knowledge of what to get as far as the balance between making my car run well, and run fast. Nitrous would give me the most bang for my buck, but it could also lead to my engine exploding which would give me alot of "bang" in a different sense.

I guess what im asking for is advice in which direction to go from my current bolt on mods.

Oh, and my sig messed up, the GT-40 heads were supposed to be in future modifications, lol, gotta fix that.
Old 6/15/07, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

The MSD distributor and ignition box can be run seperate from each other. It won't give you a significant HP gain but the engine will start quicker/easier, it might help throttle response a little, and the spark won't drop off in the upper RPMs. I read before that the stock ignition is good past 300 hp, but if your stock parts are 14 years old it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to MSD stuff.

For what its worth, I'm seriously considering nitrous before summer is over. With modern kits and proper installation you shouldn't have to worry about blowing the engine, just keep it to a 100 shot or a less I'd say. I plan on getting an igition box like the Crane Hi-6TR which allows you to retard/advance timing right from the driver's seat so you can 14 degrees advanced on the distributor all the time and just retard it only when you want to use the nitrous.

I'd prefer to get Thumper ported stock heads and a TMOSS ported stock intake over nitrous but I really don't want to tear my motor apart and have the car down right in the middle of carshow season.... thats why nitrous is so appealing to me, one weekend and its done.