Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

exhaust-ing question

Search this Thread

Old 11/13/05, 12:01 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i bought my car it came with dynomax mufflers without tailpipes or turn downs. i do have a 2.5 off road h-pipe and shorty headers so it has a decent amount of sound going on. what i am planning to do is get a set of flowmaster 40 series mufflers. i cant decide on just throwing them on with turn downs or puttin them on with tail pipes or ive even thought about stepping the mufflers up to 3 inch and running 3 inch all the way out. i know with the motor i have which is all stock on the inside im mainly doing it for sound and not performance. what do you fellas think i should go with? :scratch:

i dont mind it being loud....id actually rather it loud but with a good tone without it sounding ratty....opinions welcome....
Old 11/13/05, 02:05 AM

IMO, if you have a stock rear bumper cover i would go with the turn downs, but if you have either a saleen or a cobra rear bumper cover, then shoot em out the back with some polished tips. but i personally think turn downs sound better, even more so when running thru some x pipes
Old 11/13/05, 05:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

at first when you said turn-downs I thought you meant pro-dumps, which exit before the axle. If you want good sound you definetly need full tailpipes going all the way back whether its turn downs and chrome tips at the end.
Old 11/13/05, 07:29 AM
GT Member

I have BBK shorty headers, with H-pipe, American Thunder Exaust, which runs to the back with "turn-downs" and it sounds great. I definitley would recommend running it to the back of the car.
Old 11/13/05, 08:47 AM
V6 Member

ya when i ment turn downs i ment dumps which is how it is right now pretty much lol..they are just there with no tailpipe or anything. ive heard a few cars around town with the sound i want and they have the full tailpipe comming out. theres one guy in particular that has full exhaust but it sound crappy. i dont know what he has going on. it sounds like flows but it crackles really bad. he must like it like that because hes always hammerin on it lol. i wish i had a cobra rear bumper so i could run them out where they are seen. i was thinking about goin with the flowmaster exhaust setup where all you have to do is bolt it up. im sure goin to an exhaust shop would come out the same price but without the nice bends.

how loud is it like that Ren?
Old 11/13/05, 09:56 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by flamesarewicked@November 13, 2005, 10:50 AM
ya when i ment turn downs i ment dumps which is how it is right now pretty much lol..they are just there with no tailpipe or anything. ive heard a few cars around town with the sound i want and they have the full tailpipe comming out. theres one guy in particular that has full exhaust but it sound crappy. i dont know what he has going on. it sounds like flows but it crackles really bad. he must like it like that because hes always hammerin on it lol. i wish i had a cobra rear bumper so i could run them out where they are seen. i was thinking about goin with the flowmaster exhaust setup where all you have to do is bolt it up. im sure goin to an exhaust shop would come out the same price but without the nice bends.

how loud is it like that Ren?
I'm not really sure how to describe the sound, but it definitley does not have the "farmer type" rap which I hate. It just has a nice deep "drone" that sounds great when your going through the gears, sounds real nice at about 2200-2300 r.p.m.s I get alot of looks when driving through town and have had alot of positve compliments on her sound.
Old 11/13/05, 10:04 AM
V6 Member

the more i think about it the more i think im gonna go with a setup like yours. i think the american thunder exhaust is around 250 with frieght. i guess santa is gonna have to go mail order this year lol. i assume that kit will bolt right up to my h-pipe no sweat...
Old 11/13/05, 10:14 AM
GT Member

I can't forsee any problem's hookin her right up...if you end up going with American Thunder, let me know what you think of the sound, I don't think you'll be dissappointed.....I have H-pipe with cats,thinkin about ditchin that and going with the off-road H-pipe in the spring.
Old 11/13/05, 10:25 AM
V6 Member

i think its probably the easiest way to go. ive delt with exhaust shops before and never was totally satisfied with thier work for one reason or another. this way its made to go together without a hitch. ill definately will let ya know how it turns out.
Old 11/13/05, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

there was an interesting 2 or 3 part article in the last few MM&FF magazines all about the science of exhuast and how to get what kind of sound and stuff. They said if you want a deep full tone you need full length tailpipes cause they help tune it. Also I think dumps are illegal in most states because the gases exit underneath the body.

I wish I had the cobra bumper with chrome tips too but they are both expensive so I went with the mac catback and I'm happy. Flowmaster will definetly give you a good sound.