Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Equal Length headers gave me one bad week...

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/06, 04:09 PM
Service Manager

Received 443 Likes on 219 Posts
Well I've installed a lot of headers in my day and that includes BBK....I've done full length, equal length and unequal length and NEVER have I had to dent a header for clearance. Sure you "could" but that is basically the redneck method of avoiding the real problem and it doesn't surprise me that an exhaust shop would tell you that.

It's done now but the exhaust shop is not right in their advice. I also wouldn't bother with the equal length...the HP difference MIGHT be 1-2HP...not worth the hassle for the difference IMO. I've been there and done that on most headers including putting a 429 into a Fox chassis with full length headers....and unless you are trying to make something work that isn't right for that application then there should be no need for any "modifications".
Old 5/15/06, 04:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But even the unequal lenghts are rubbing like mad too... and they are on the car now.
Old 5/15/06, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Valentino
I would never, EVER dent an exhuast pipe (especially a header), that defeats the purpose of a free flowing exhuast. If your motor mounts are shot thats a fairly serious issue that you want to address ASAP, not ignore it just because denting the pipe is a cheaper method.
My motor mounts are fine.
Old 5/15/06, 07:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey paul Do you have any tips for installing bbk longtubes on a 93? We had to get a new set from jegs because the passenger side one is bent. when we put them in the first time the headers were 15" on center and the h-pipe was 14.5" on center. I hope we did the right thing by getting the headers.
Old 5/16/06, 10:16 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Stix66
But even the unequal lenghts are rubbing like mad too... and they are on the car now.
I don't know what to tell you without seeing the car but Something is not right.
Old 5/16/06, 10:18 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Hotrod
Hey paul Do you have any tips for installing bbk longtubes on a 93? We had to get a new set from jegs because the passenger side one is bent. when we put them in the first time the headers were 15" on center and the h-pipe was 14.5" on center. I hope we did the right thing by getting the headers.
Who made the H-pipe? if you are mixing brands you have to keep in mind that they may not be the same....IE: BBK doesn't take a MAC H pipe into consideration when making their headers.
Old 5/17/06, 05:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ive heard that. I ordered both peices from bbk. We put the new header on last night and it worked but the h-pipe is still just a tad off. When we start to tighten the flange it wants to come off the pipe. That shouldnt happen right.
Old 5/17/06, 07:05 AM
Service Manager

If both parts are the same mfg then it should bolt up just fine. Despite everyone supporting BBK they really are not the best quality parts out there(they have just done a good job at advertising) so I am not surprised you are having a problem with the pair mating up properly. Although not in the instructions It probably should be...but if you can get your hands on a port-a-power(which is a hydraulic body shop tool) you could spread the pipe over a bit to hopefully mate up.
Old 5/18/06, 05:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

My dad did something to get them to line up. They didnt line up perfect but they're really close. He said there is a little gap (dont know how big) between the right side header and pipe. I hope it will be okay. We tried to fire it up last night but the starter solenoid was shot.
Old 5/18/06, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

if theres any kind of gap between the header and mid pipe you are going to have an exhuast leak
Old 5/18/06, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Yea and it will sound like a Chopper motorcycle. I learned that fast. All I needed to do was to tighten the one side flange bolts and it made a snap and it placed right it. The movable flange on the midpipe i had was a little rusted and was stuck in a spot and it just broke the rust off, hence the snap.
Old 5/18/06, 04:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

i would just leave the unequal length headers in since you already got them in. according to all the testing i have seen there is like a 2 hp difference from unequal to equal length headers. am i correct paul? it will sound horrible with the leak. when i put my heads back on after having them ported and polished the gasket slipped and wasnt lined up. i had to unbolt the header and replace it
Old 5/18/06, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

We took it to a shop to have the clutch set up since it was being hard to shift and they foudn the leak. I was on the header-h-pipe connecor on the drivers side. I might try and get it fixed later. Im taking it to school tomarrow to flush the radiator sinc ewe have a coolant dump. Anyway she's back running after a long 3 months.

BTW Thanks for the help guys.
Old 5/19/06, 07:38 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by conv_stang
according to all the testing i have seen there is like a 2 hp difference from unequal to equal length headers. am i correct paul?

Yes, the difference is very small in HP gain....not worth it for the aggravation of plug access, wire clearance and install paint if you ask me.