Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Did Ford build Fox GT-A's?

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/07, 02:58 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did Ford build Fox GT-A's?

Like the title says, wondering if Ford ever built Fox-bodied GT-A models. Recently saw a GT with rectangular "GT-A" badges white/silver lettering on a black background where the "5.0" would normally be. It had 5-lug 4 wheel disc brakes, and enormous rear calipers that look bigger than most front calipers (reminded me of Brembos). Had Cobra/SVO tails and a Watts Link rear axle setup just like the PJ Saleen unit. I always thought the 1st gen Mustangs could solely lay claim to having GT-A models, and GM used them for the Firebirds in the 80's. Is it ?

P.S. - short of IRS, would love to have a Watts link rear setup on my car! (only know of fays2)
Old 5/23/07, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

prolly just a modded fox, at stangnet theres a guy with a turbo'd 93 GT and he put the "GT Turbo" decals from the eariler foxes on the fender
Old 5/23/07, 07:32 AM
Service Manager

Received 431 Likes on 209 Posts
That was just a modified Fox someone added the badges to.

I have a Griggs Watts link on one of my SVOs....Fantastic handling improvement doesn't even begin to describe it! I have seen the Fays2 setup and it looked good...I have plans to try one out on something in the near future.
Old 5/23/07, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tell me more about this watts link, is it similar to a panhard bar? Are there any other mods required for it? (like eliminating the upper control arms?) is it practical for the street? and of course... how much $$$ and how hard to install?
Old 5/23/07, 05:28 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Valentino
Tell me more about this watts link, is it similar to a panhard bar? Are there any other mods required for it? (like eliminating the upper control arms?) is it practical for the street? and of course... how much $$$ and how hard to install?
I have the complete Griggs GR40 suspension on the Evolution SVO.....not cheap but unbelievable handling!!! If you remember the movie Tron that is the best description I can give and you better be strapped in at speed. Watts links have been around for years and even the late model Crown Vics have them...my '00 P71 Police Interceptor crown Vic has one factory from Ford. It is a step above a panhard bar...you really can't compare the two as they work differently. The upper control arms are eliminated and a torque arm is used with the Griggs system. The Griggs system should be installed by someone with a good level of mechanical/welding skills. Street practicality....perfectly fine.

The Fays2 system (http://www.fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_17_.html) Seems to be easier to install and does not use a torque arm. The unit comes assembled for the most part and installation is straight forward. I have not used this kit but was thinking of trying one on one of my cars. Pricing on this system is VERY attractive.
Old 5/23/07, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Very interesting, I'd like to get my suspension done before I get into any motor work (you know, build a good foundation before a good house) and I'd like to make it handle well but not rip my kidneys out when driving on the street. I'm definetly going to consider that Fays2 link, seems like a fair price and straight forward install.

While we're talking suspension, what about the front end? Is the GR40 kit an SLA front (that is what its called, right?)
Old 5/24/07, 01:46 AM
FR500 Member

Thanks, now that's cleared up... still, the owner picked up a Fox with a Watts link which is a pretty good deal. Have heard that the axle clamps on the Fays version is bad for the rear axle? Then again, Steeda's 5-link uses axle clamps when relocating the upper control arms.

GR40 SLA is big $$$ - but one can dream! I've only seen one on a early modular SN95 Cobra. very trick.
Old 5/24/07, 07:32 AM
Service Manager

The 5 link system has been around a long time as well....I had discussions with Kenny Brown about that particular system and he didn't like it stating that there are times where the suspension is put into incorrect geometry with the 5 link.

I've also installed the Evolution Motorsport Tri link system and it works very well but there are problems with running exhaust past it which on this particular car forced the owner to run dumps.

I'd like to hear the theory behind the axle brackets being bad because I don't see the problem. If it has anything to do with the axle tubes being pressed into the center section and worry of moving them then welding up the axle tubes would cure that issue(if it is even an issue).

The Griggs front suspension is their tubular K member which moves the location of the front wheels forward for improved handling. Kenny Brown and others did the same thing....on the Evolution SVO since the fenders are fiberglass we cut out the fender openings and moved them forward so that the visual image from the side of the car didn't show the wheels moved forward....that isn't an option for everyone though. I am running Koni Yellows with coil overs on the SVO as well.

The next time I put the SVO up on the lift I'll take some pics of the Griggs stuff for you guys.

It is a good idea to build a solid foundation and you will find that with a good base, you don't need as much power as you might think to be competitive in driving events but at the same time the car sticks and becomes a completely different animal.
Old 5/25/07, 02:35 AM
FR500 Member

There was a post from another thread (about the PJ Saleen's Watts link being available) mentioning the axle clamps or U bolts putting stress on the axle tubes/bearings. Don't know the basis for that statement - just remember seeing it. Also mentioned that the Crown Vic and Towncar have Watts link rearends. If they're also 8.8 housings, could they be adapted to the Mustang? Hmm...
Old 5/25/07, 06:58 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by hi5.0
There was a post from another thread (about the PJ Saleen's Watts link being available) mentioning the axle clamps or U bolts putting stress on the axle tubes/bearings. Don't know the basis for that statement - just remember seeing it. Also mentioned that the Crown Vic and Towncar have Watts link rearends. If they're also 8.8 housings, could they be adapted to the Mustang? Hmm...
I own a Crown Vic with the watts link....I doubt it could be adapted to the Mustang easily. I would have to see some testing or proof on the stress of the axle clamps before I would be concerned about it.....but like I said, I am probably going to buy one of the Fays2 kits and test it out on one of my cars...I just have to decide which one.