Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

custom work! pic heavy...

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/12, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom work! pic heavy...

ok fellas. i have done alot of fabrication on my stang and i thought that i would share past and present projects. btw i have an 88 gt vert.

one of the first things i did 4-5 years ago when i bought the car was replaced the weak rotted out x bracing that goes from the subframes to k member, to the core support. i dont have the greatest pics of these, and yeah the paint is beat up a little already. i have done lots of work under there since.

my suspension set works really well and i think i am less than 400$ in. i use kyb shocks and struts, umi lift bars, subframe connectors, with reinforced t-boxes. the umi lift bars come with relocation brackets. the connectors and tbox reinforments i fabbed myself. with this easy on the wallet setup my car is very stiff and hooks really well on the street.

the subframe connectors, i made from 1 1/4 x 1/8 tubing. nothing really special about them, but they work great!

then the torque box reinforcements. i only did the lowers. i found a schematic online and was able to fabb them my self. it only took about an hour to make all the parts. if anyone needs the schematic i still have it saved.

i also made my own radio delete. it covers the radio and goes around the shifter. i used regular ol sheet metal. this was also pretty simple to slap together. i used a 15$ shifter boot from ebay. i later added a wideband a/f gauge and a volt gauge to keep the wideband calibrated.

and now for my current project i am fabbing my own diff cover. you are probably wonder why? well the insperation is the lpw setup (see pic). i dont know if you guys have seen it. but it has bearing cap supports like lots of aftermarket covers. but it also has mounting points to use axle tube support braces. lpw sells the braces also. but i plan on making everything. i attached some pics of my rough sketches. i even through together a card board/masking tape model before i started, just to make sure the design would work.

if anyone wants more information on any of these projects let me know. this post is already getting long, so i didnt want to go into to much detail. enjoy guys and let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails custom work! pic heavy...-image-698512667.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-3863592084.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-4130990122.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-4189104275.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-4143631440.jpg  

custom work! pic heavy...-image-1482921265.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-2939842770.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-1583341623.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-3907663485.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-2258694400.jpg  

Old 9/9/12, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good work!
Old 9/9/12, 08:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Its fun doing your own fab work.

Last edited by skunk21; 9/9/12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 9/9/12, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanx guys.

Yeah there is a certain satisfaction you get from building your own stuff. And also get to save some good $ doing it.
Old 9/9/12, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Oh crap I forgot to show my drive shaft loop I just built a few months back. I'm not sure if the brackets were glued in yet in this pic, but it doesn't rub the exhaust. You can also see how I cut the cats out and welded in my own pipes. I know not as good as a true h pipe but does the trick.

I also attached a photo of my modified throttle cable bracket. When I switched from an offenhauser intake to weiand stealth, it wouldn't bolt up. So I cut the base off and made a new one. Then simply welded it back together. You can also see in the pic, that when I added a carb spacer I had to make spacers to raise it up. But it works great. Sorry I didn't get the pics in any order.

One other thing I wanted to show you guys. I'm gonna be running tubes in my slicks. So I am also drilling my own rims. I bought a screw kit off of summit racing. And I made a cardboard template to mark out the holes perfectly.
Attached Images            
Old 9/9/12, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Heres a better one of the rim screw, and the template I made to layout the screws. The templates not done in the pic, but you get the point.
Attached Images   
Old 9/13/12, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Had some time to work on my diff cover.
Attached Images     
Old 9/13/12, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Like your other stuff, not feeling the diff cover at the moment but waiting on the finished product. how much does it weigh?
Old 9/13/12, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by skunk21
Like your other stuff, not feeling the diff cover at the moment but waiting on the finished product. how much does it weigh?
It is a little heavy. Probably 10-15 lbs. And its gonna weigh a little more by time I'm done. It is made of 3/16 plate. The reason it is so heavy is because I'm gonna mount axle tube supports off of it. I also plan on putting cap support bolts and a fill and drain plug to. So there is still lots of work to do.

Thanx for your opinion also.
Old 9/15/12, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

hey skunk. since i know you you will give me an honest opinion. i was womdering if you have any input on the next step and how to make it look good .do want it to look decent. but not as worried about that as function.

also. have you ever used a diff cover that had cap support load bolts? i had a hell of a time finding the "load bolts". the load bolts have a swivel pad (like a c-clamp) on the end. that is so it spreads the load. the cheapest i have found them was 25$. that was on summit racing.

prethanx.

p.s. anyone else is more than welcome to.

Last edited by onebadvert; 9/15/12 at 06:47 PM.
Old 9/15/12, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

ok so me and my buddy have been brainstorming. i made a sketch of how i think i am gonna finish it off (structuraly). i also attached a picture of my original inspiration because it may help as i am gonna explain my idea to make it a little more decorative.

so in the sketch i drawn earlier. that is the structural parts. if you look at the picture of the real "lpw ultimate cover" , it has a plate that gets bolted in with the axle tube bolts. im sure is has function but not as much as the rest. so my idea is to make a plate, just like the one in the picture. except i am going to integrate a running pony right into the center area of it. now im sure it help keep the bolts straight. but i think i can get away with using a little bit thinner steel, as i dont want this thing with braces weigh more than 15-20 lbs.

i am not an artist by any means. but im gonna try to sketch what i am talking about. so dont laugh at the artistic skills. lol ok i will allow a little laughing. also i understand that this step is not neccesary, as no one will ever really see it. especially since my car is lowered. but im hoping it still has some cool factor.
Attached Thumbnails custom work! pic heavy...-image-2809751341.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-1777807113.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 9/15/12, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is the design with the pony.

Sorry I just noticed it is upside down. Oops. Lol
Attached Images  

Last edited by onebadvert; 9/15/12 at 07:35 PM.
Old 9/22/12, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Update
Attached Images   
Old 9/22/12, 01:26 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You've been doing a good job on your Stang man
Old 9/22/12, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lalayla
You've been doing a good job on your Stang man
Thanx amie! Most of the stuff I build doesn't cost much, and it keeps me busy.
Old 9/22/12, 02:41 PM
Calgon Take Me Away!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's awesome that you know how to do all of that fabrication. I seriously wish I knew how to do my own stuff and I'm willing to learn.
Seriously good work
Old 9/22/12, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lalayla
That's awesome that you know how to do all of that fabrication. I seriously wish I knew how to do my own stuff and I'm willing to learn.
Seriously good work
fabrication/welding is the only industry i have been in the last 12 years. so its not so bad. plus i have a couple years of schooling. if you need any pointers let me know.
and thanx again.
Old 9/29/12, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

heres the final product. im setting the carrier right now. imforgot to get bolts, but once i get it set i will throw a couple old ones in it to see what it looks like.

i also attached a pic of where i got my inspiration for color scheme and functionability.
Attached Thumbnails custom work! pic heavy...-image-3557476431.jpg   custom work! pic heavy...-image-652387592.jpg  
Old 9/29/12, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Just put a few bolts in it to see.
Attached Images  
Old 9/30/12, 06:43 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice, I digg it.

Quick Reply: custom work! pic heavy...