Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Coupe Project

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/05, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the coupe project I am buying from Paul is at least partially underway. The car was a carb'd .040 over 302, with a blown head gasket. Yesterday my wife and I got under the hood and pulled off the carb, intake manifold, front accessories, and heads. Today I got the heads cleaned up a bit, along with all of the rockers and pushrods. Everything looks to be fine, except it DEFINITELY had a blown head gasket. When it goes back together it will be fuel injected, speed density for now, and mass air later on. Dont really have any performance parts in mind yet, just want to get it running right now.
Old 12/27/05, 09:09 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by joker@December 27, 2005, 8:41 PM
my wife and I got under the hood.....
:shock: NO WAY, I have NEVER met a girl that knows what a hood is let alone will look under one, you're one lucky guy!!!!!!!
Old 12/28/05, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@December 27, 2005, 10:12 PM
:shock: NO WAY, I have NEVER met a girl that knows what a hood is let alone will look under one, you're one lucky guy!!!!!!!
Old 12/28/05, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@December 27, 2005, 10:12 PM

My wife is far from being a mechanic (so am I for that matter) but she doesnt mind getting out there and turning some wrenches. Your young, and at that age 99% of the girls are just into being as much of a girl as possible.

Got all the gaskets, and a new set of head bolts in today. Also got the interior torn apart for now swapping a few pieces and the seats. Hopefully tomorrow the interior will go back together, and I will start getting the engine put back together as well.
Old 12/29/05, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Got a bit more done today. The heads are now on the car, rockers and pushrods are back in, and the lower intake manifold along with fuel rails and injectors is on as well. Valve covers are just sitting on top until they can get bolted down. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the upper intake and throttle body, headers, valve covers, and throttle cable on. As well as get the interior on it's way to being whole again.

A BIG thanks to Paul and Jason at SVP. If it wasnt for them, this whole process would have been 100 times more difficult.
Old 12/29/05, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

one more
Old 12/30/05, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

nice. definitely could use a pwerwashing under the hood. looks like my engine bay
Old 12/30/05, 06:58 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Looking good, Joker!
Old 12/30/05, 08:51 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Looks good man! That was a quick EFI conversion :P
Old 12/30/05, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you ever thought about that new Painless Wiring kit for an EFI engine? It keeps everything Speed Density and they have power pack up grades coming online for it. All I can see here is the engine compartment and I have not read the original thread but if this was originally a carbureted car this is a very simple up grade with the painless kit. Check it out.

PERFECT Engine Management
Old 12/30/05, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Looking good, keep us informed Joker!!
Old 12/30/05, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Scothew@December 30, 2005, 9:54 AM
Looks good man! That was a quick EFI conversion :P
The EFI stuff is only half way done. Now comes the fun part with all the wiring harness stuff and computer. Not to mention I still have to change the gas tank and fuel lines. Hopefully it will be completed before too long though.
Old 1/19/06, 10:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, got a bit further. Found a mass air computer at the junkyard for $30, so decided to make it a mass air car. (I was originally just gonna go speed density to save some cash for now) Installed the mass air computer harness, injector harness, o2 harness, and headlight harness (whoever put the carbed engine in hacked up the headlight harness, and part of the dash harness), swapped to an efi throttle cable, installed the upper intake and throttle body (Paul had one with everything already mounted up), replaced the seats and padded part on the dash, and replaced the center console.

Needless to say this has been one heck of a learning expierience for me as far as actually mechanically working on the car. It has been frustrating at times, but overall I have really enjoyed it and can honestly say I have gained alot of knowledge from the expierience. `

Once again, I couldnt have done it without Paul and Jason at HTTP://WWW.SVPU.COM guiding me along.

Old 1/19/06, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

One of the interior after the changes. The holes where the vents should be are where the previous owner had installed some rather large guages. I am going back to the factory guages, and will most likely just make some kind of block plate to go there. The kickpanel is out to patch up the dash harness, and install the computer.

Old 1/20/06, 06:20 AM
GTR Member

looks good! i take it your going to keep the red interior? what gets me is, why would anyone wanna carb in the first place anyways?? :scratch:

Originally posted by joker@December 28, 2005, 6:46 PM
My wife is far from being a mechanic (so am I for that matter) but she doesnt mind getting out there and turning some wrenches. Your young, and at that age 99% of the girls are just into being as much of a girl as possible.

Old 1/21/06, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by joker@January 19, 2006, 11:11 PM
Well, got a bit further. Found a mass air computer at the junkyard for $30, so decided to make it a mass air car. (I was originally just gonna go speed density to save some cash for now) Installed the mass air computer harness, injector harness, o2 harness, and headlight harness (whoever put the carbed engine in hacked up the headlight harness, and part of the dash harness), swapped to an efi throttle cable, installed the upper intake and throttle body (Paul had one with everything already mounted up), replaced the seats and padded part on the dash, and replaced the center console.

Needless to say this has been one heck of a learning expierience for me as far as actually mechanically working on the car. It has been frustrating at times, but overall I have really enjoyed it and can honestly say I have gained alot of knowledge from the expierience. `

Congrats Jason. I didn't realize you had started working on your project car already. Glad its working out for you. Keep it up!
Old 1/21/06, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by QWKSNKE@January 21, 2006, 3:42 PM
Congrats Jason. I didn't realize you had started working on your project car already. Glad its working out for you. Keep it up!
Thanks, hopefully it wont be long before it is up and running.

Today we got the old fuel system out, removed the fuel line, external pump, and gas tank. Installed an in tank pump, and got everything ready to go back in. Hopefully I can get the lines and tank back in the car in the next few days. Also refinished an intake plaque and bolted it on to the intake. Sandblasted and painted the alt bracket and tensioner I got from Craig today as well.

Yesterday I finshed splicing back together all the connectors that had been cut, got the computer in the car, and the kick panel put back on.

Probably gonna work on making a block plate for the ac vent this evening.
Old 1/21/06, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

sounds good!
Old 1/22/06, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

werd, looking good. keep the updates coming!
Old 1/31/06, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

No more pics yet, but made some more progress. I got the alternator mounted up, mounted the coil, and msd box. Wired in all of the ignition system, changed the oil filter (oil is drained out right now due to the headgasket going out), installed the battery, ran the ground wire to the proper location (idiot that worked on it before had it grounded on a head bolt). In further redoing the reneck engineering that had been done on the car, I has to order a power steering pump relocation kit ( for those that dont know it puts the ps pump up where the a/c pump would normally be in order to achieve a decent belt routing) which should hopefully be here by this weekend. Still havent gotten the gas tank and lines back in it yet, but that will most likely be the last thing I do other than getting someone to help me get the distributor timed right. Have two or three more sensors to install, then a few vaccum hoses and it will be ready to get on the lift for the final touches. Also have to get some o2 bunbgs welded in to my headers or midpipe.

Quick Reply: Coupe Project