Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

compatible heads

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/13, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compatible heads

I bought the BBK SSI intake manifold for my 87 gt 5.0 and am looking for compatible performance heads for this manifold, anyone out there have any recommendations for me??
Old 3/26/13, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Edelbrock performer, performer RPM, Trickflow twisted wedge, Holley systemax, Airflow research AFR165's, AFR185's. There's quite a few and you can't go wrong with any of those. Stay away from heads with intake runners bigger than 200cc's until you have the supporting mods to be able to run the high RPMs that those heads produce the most power in.
Old 3/26/13, 03:07 PM
Cobra R Member

what cam looking to use and other mods ?
Old 3/26/13, 03:50 PM

I was looking at the Edelbrock performer cylinder heads but wasn't sure if they'd fit with the SSI because I was leaning towards the GT40x heads and those are similar to the Edelbrock performer but the GT40x heads aren't compatible with SSI manifold. Since I posted this posting asking for help I came across Darts Iron Eagle performance heads, what's your opinion on theses? And for a cam I was looking at Ford Racing E303 or Anderson Ford Motorsports N-41(I know the second one is recommended with the Dart Iron Eagle heads) but besides that haven't heard much about it. Let me know what you think.
Old 3/26/13, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 87GT5.0
I was looking at the Edelbrock performer cylinder heads but wasn't sure if they'd fit with the SSI because I was leaning towards the GT40x heads and those are similar to the Edelbrock performer but the GT40x heads aren't compatible with SSI manifold. Since I posted this posting asking for help I came across Darts Iron Eagle performance heads, what's your opinion on theses? And for a cam I was looking at Ford Racing E303 or Anderson Ford Motorsports N-41(I know the second one is recommended with the Dart Iron Eagle heads) but besides that haven't heard much about it. Let me know what you think.
I would look at the dart pro 1 heads but really I like the trick flow twisted heads and the AFR's will suit you well. while I'm not afraid of iron heads there are just to many benefits from the aluminum head to over look them.

but a few things,

Don't overlook our tech section, I have a link for choosing a cam and other helpful info. A custom grind isn't too far off price of a decent off the shelf. Anderson isn't bad at all but comp also has decent sticks and I like the trick flow stage 1 and 2.

Ed Curtis is the man for custom grinds, he can be contacted via email here http://www.flowtechinduction.com/

Don't forget you will need to upgrade the stock fuel pump and injectors and ...

do a mass air conversion, speed density isn't going to play nice beyond the intake swap and will make life so much easier.

mass air link..

mass air conversion

mass air/ speed density explained
Old 3/26/13, 05:14 PM

I appreciate all that, ill check out the dart pro 1 and the AFR's. I don't really like the twisted edge's haven't heard to many good things about them and there's so many other heads that out perform them. I'm running 24lb injectors with and 80mm MAF BBK with them and a BBK cold air intake so I'm all set with the mass air conversion. As goes for camshafts, I've always been a fan of ford racing products even though many people aren't but ill check out comps and that link you gave me for custom cams. Is there a website you'd recommend for performance parts other than Americanmuscle or Mustangsunlimited.. summit is a good one also but trying to compare prices with everything.
Old 3/26/13, 05:31 PM
Cobra R Member

I appreciate all that, ill check out the dart pro 1 and the AFR's. I don't really like the twisted edge's haven't heard to many good things about them and there's so many other heads that out perform them. I'm running 24lb injectors with and 80mm MAF BBK with them and a BBK cold air intake so I'm all set with the mass air conversion. As goes for camshafts, I've always been a fan of ford racing products even though many people aren't but ill check out comps and that link you gave me for custom cams. Is there a website you'd recommend for performance parts other than Americanmuscle or Mustangsunlimited.. summit is a good one also but trying to compare prices with everything.
It's your opinion but out perform I would say they are right there with the rest of them and have proven themselves but that's fine not looking for a debate. I'll also throw Brodix st 5.0. and st 5.0. r heads ( I'm considering them myself) I run an e cam but really there are better cams on the market and nothing beats a custom trust me but I will say the guys at Anderson are great for help. I use summit, jegs, late model restoration ( although lately they are pushing the sve house brand and I'm not a fan), national parts depot, maximum motorsports, steeda and cj pony parts to name a few.
Old 3/26/13, 06:24 PM

I wasn't trying to debate was just stating my opinion and thanks for all the help, I think after looking into everything you put in front of me I'm going to go with the AFR 185cc heads. Still looking into camshafts but you were right comp has many things to offer in that category so possibly leaning towards the stage II comp.
Old 3/26/13, 07:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Are you running an auto or a stick, because that will play into which can to get also. In my old 5.0 I ran cnc ported performer rpm heads, trickflow r series intake, and a trickflow stage 3 cam. I loved that setup. Boat loads of power, and an awesome sounding idle. I still miss that car
Old 3/26/13, 07:30 PM
Cobra R Member

I wasn't trying to debate was just stating my opinion and thanks for all the help, I think after looking into everything you put in front of me I'm going to go with the AFR 185cc heads. Still looking into camshafts but you were right comp has many things to offer in that category so possibly leaning towards the stage II comp.
Glad to help. AFRs are good heads and will not disappoint. There are tons of combos out there for all kinds of needs. Comp cams are stout. All this motor talk going on lately makes me itchy but I got other things that need doing and my motor is running fine so no rush, have fun
Old 3/26/13, 08:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I have never ran afrs. But when I was making my head decision I ran across lots of info stating that cam choice will be super limited with the afr 185s. I just wanted to bring that to your attention..
Old 3/26/13, 08:43 PM

My car is stick/5-speed and yeah I've been saving up and really want this pony running and running strong!! I've been working on it for about a year, took a little vaca from it all and now I've just had enough of it sitting there so I got finish what I started.
Old 3/26/13, 08:48 PM

Oh really? Onebadvert, I was looking at comp cams energy XE282HR camshaft. It seemed to have the power,torque and idle I was looking for but now that you say that I'm second guessing it... do you know if that cam will go with thoses heads? I tried looking up compatible cams with the AFR 185cc heads on google and could come across anything so I didn't think it'd be a problem
Old 3/26/13, 08:50 PM

Couldn't**
Old 3/26/13, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh really? Onebadvert, I was looking at comp cams energy XE282HR camshaft. It seemed to have the power,torque and idle I was looking for but now that you say that I'm second guessing it... do you know if that cam will go with thoses heads? I tried looking up compatible cams with the AFR 185cc heads on google and could come across anything so I didn't think it'd be a problem
I couldn't tell you exactly. I just read about 20 threads like this one and got scared. http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...f-303-cam.html
I also read that the afr165s (still great heads btw) are limited to like .520 lift cams but I know a guy with a.590 cam and those heads. They are lots of factors when it comes to piston to valve clearance and the only way to be certain is to check when you get your parts. Just do as much research as you can about the combo you want to make your self educated before you make your purchase. My final decision was the twisted wedge and I couldnt be happier.

Last edited by onebadvert; 3/26/13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 3/26/13, 09:40 PM

Yeah I'm definitely taking my time with it all and doing the research for it before I purchase anything, but reading that link you sent me one of the guys said the F303 cam should work. I'm going to call around to couple places tomorrow to see what certain company's have to say what's a good choice with AFR's. Appreciate you bring that to my attention and if have any other questions down the road you'll see it pop up on here.
Old 3/26/13, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I'm definitely taking my time with it all and doing the research for it before I purchase anything, but reading that link you sent me one of the guys said the F303 cam should work. I'm going to call around to couple places tomorrow to see what certain company's have to say what's a good choice with AFR's. Appreciate you bring that to my attention and if have any other questions down the road you'll see it pop up on here.
I have read that the f303 will and wont work. I would just do like you suggested and call afr. I called afr directly and asked them if my b303 with 1.72 rr would work and they couldnt tell me for certain but said not likely. But you have to bring in the rest of the cam profile into the equation also. Anyways good luck and let us know what you come up with..
Old 3/26/13, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

As long as the cam you pick has less than .585 lift and 300 degrees of duration you won't have a problem with the 185s.
Old 3/27/13, 05:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
As long as the cam you pick has less than .585 lift and 300 degrees of duration you won't have a problem with the 185s.
Afr won't tell you that. ...
Old 3/27/13, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

AFR 185s with the larger valves will just about always need more valve relief. I would check ptv no matter what.

AFR165s run the obvious smaller valves.

The F cam will need more valve relief on stock pistons.

Give Ed Curtis a try, a custom cam is just that a cam designed for your engine .

read how to select a cam in out tech section if that will further.

303 cams leave hp on the table ( and the case with many off the shelf cams ) this is where the custom grind shines.

Quick Reply: compatible heads