Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

clean early Fox on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/05, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4547170556&rd=1

1980 4 banger/Auto with 45k miles.

I would drop the engine, trans and rear, put in a 4.6 stroked to 5.0 with the weber intake a six speed trans, sparco milanos in white, and of course a set of new shocks and springs and a 5 lug 4wdb conversion under the 1993 Cobra Rs, and I'd have myself a perfect daily driver. Subframes and Strut tower barS would be mandatory.

Ok, so a little more than a few grand, but I would not even paint it, I'd keep the cheesy two tone. Maybe cheaper seats than Milanos, but that and a new steering wheel (maybe the 67 Wood type) would be the only changes, other than that I would restore the interior and put in all new Weatherstripping and so on.

man that'd be a sweet daily driver.
Old 5/4/05, 02:50 PM
GTR Member

no, stock look with stock wheels and all but with a TT cobra motor
9 inch rear
4.30 gears
tremec T-56
FRPP Driveshaft
Safety loop
Roll Cage
new guages
Old 5/4/05, 03:33 PM
Service Manager

Received 447 Likes on 221 Posts
My first Fox was a 1980 coupe similar to that only blue....used it during my freshman year at college and then traded it for 2 '69 Fastbacks.
Old 5/4/05, 04:09 PM
GT Member

I would need 17s at least, for ummmmm........ personal reasons.
Old 5/4/05, 06:33 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by svopaul@May 4, 2005, 4:36 PM
My first Fox was a 1980 coupe similar to that only blue....used it during my freshman year at college and then traded it for 2 '69 Fastbacks.
wow, did the guy get ripped off or were the fastbacks real rough?
Old 5/4/05, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

nahh dude 14" deep dish cragar's dude!! lol sweet find dude, the ultimate sleeper
Old 5/4/05, 06:35 PM
GTR Member

yah Dude, ultimate huh Dude? Dude thats awesome
Old 5/4/05, 07:32 PM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Fordracing200+May 4, 2005, 6:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fordracing200 @ May 4, 2005, 6:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-svopaul@May 4, 2005, 4:36 PM
wow, did the guy get ripped off or were the fastbacks real rough?
[/b][/quote]

My car was running/driving....the fastbacks were complete but not running.....I still got the better deal
Old 5/4/05, 07:38 PM
GT Member

How does anyone like pre-87 foxes? The 4-eyes give me sore eyes!!! Especially the early 80's ones. I guess its just whatever people like....but these are probably the only stangs besides the 94-98 stangs that i just never really liked. I guess im just a fan of the 60-70s, 87-93, and 99+
Old 5/4/05, 08:27 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 4, 2005, 8:41 PM
How does anyone like pre-87 foxes? The 4-eyes give me sore eyes!!! Especially the early 80's ones. I guess its just whatever people like....but these are probably the only stangs besides the 94-98 stangs that i just never really liked. I guess im just a fan of the 60-70s, 87-93, and 99+
ehhhhh, to each his own. My first fox was a beat up 82 GT that would run down new 98 SS camaros when I had it. Then I got a 79 with a mint interior, and I really liked it, then again it was a Ghia. Then I got a 81 4 banger with 30k miles, and man I loved that stupid car, I drove it up to 80k beofre the city of Chicago stole it fro me. The only change was turbines new tires, and a bunch of rust spots fixed and primered.
Right now my favorite would be a 79-81 Ghia with a perfect two tone body and interior. I would love it as a daily driver.

But that is just me.
Old 5/5/05, 05:41 AM
GT Member

I respect your opinion too. Im glad you like them....im sure a lot of people like them. They do nothing to me. When i see them, they really show their age, but i gotta give it respect, because Ford built my 91' off of what that generation started.
Old 5/5/05, 07:21 AM
Service Manager

I don't care for most of the standard ones...but I do like the 4 eyed cars I've owned the following(some more than one):
79 Pace Car
82 GT
84 GT vert
85 GT(mine was a Cobra-Canadian GT)
86 GT

Then I like the 87-93 Foxes as well....never cared for the 94-98 but they eventually grew on me and now I have a '95 GT vert.
Old 5/5/05, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 5, 2005, 6:44 AM
I respect your opinion too. Im glad you like them....im sure a lot of people like them. They do nothing to me. When i see them, they really show their age, but i gotta give it respect, because Ford built my 91' off of what that generation started.

yeah I am not too hot on the real rusty ones (bodywork is my least favorite thing to do on cars), but whenever I see a real clean one with no rust (or a little tiny bit of easily fixable surface rust) and original wheels and real clean interior, I get all excited. But as you can imagine that is not too often. I think it was a real good design for the time that it came out. A real clean Sub-30k mile example that was garaged would be my number one choice for a daily driver (after some mods). I like the simple clean lines, the basic interior, and I hate to say it, but I like roll up windows, A/C is all I would add into the interior, but I would just get it from a later model so it'd fit ok. I even like the seats of some of the early ones, my ghia had real cool ones with chrome (covered plastic) side brakets, and a hard plastic back. THey were comfortable, and pretty neat looking for 1979.

Actually I was thinking, and even better choice for a power plant would be a 351 with kinsler fuel injection, and AFR heads.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to put the 93 up for sale..... :scratch:
Old 5/5/05, 07:25 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by winkcm95@May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM

It is whatever people like....for example, I can't stand Euro or clear taillights & Cowl covers and can't imagine why someone would waste money on them....but that's "my" opinion....that's the great thing about Mustangs...the owner personalizes it to their own tastes. I never build a car based on what other people like...it is what "I" like...and I don't care what others think.

Everyone has different tastes....which is a good think otherwise we would all be driving the exact same type of car
Old 5/5/05, 08:04 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by svopaul+May 5, 2005, 8:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(svopaul @ May 5, 2005, 8:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-winkcm95@May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM

It is whatever people like....for example, I can't stand Euro or clear taillights & Cowl covers and can't imagine why someone would waste money on them....but that's "my" opinion....that's the great thing about Mustangs...the owner personalizes it to their own tastes. I never build a car based on what other people like...it is what "I" like...and I don't care what others think.

Everyone has different tastes....which is a good think otherwise we would all be driving the exact same type of car
[/b][/quote]

exactly, the only cowl hoods I have ever liked on foxes are the original 79 pace car cowl (very few had it though) and the 87-93 1.5 inch cowl. I don't like any wings, except the factory ones, got clear headlights, but kept the amber corners, etc. The greatest thing is that there are so many out there and so many people who like different things on them. I can appreciate anyone's hard work and effort no-matter if I would ever do any of the same things to my car. But what I do not like are people who make the outside of a unmodified base model look like it could CKD a viper but there is nothing done to the engine. Or even worse, cheesy sparkle stickers and writing accross the windshield something dumb, or "fear this stickers", ok so there is a lot I don't appreciate, but I appreciate 4 eyed foxes.
Old 5/5/05, 09:27 AM

I'm partial to the early Fox tail lights. I think they looked better before Ford decided to make both the front and rear of the Mustang a whole lot more round in later Foxes. But, that's just my opinion. Besides, where can you find a tweed interior with fluorescent brown vinyl, other than in an early Fox?
Old 5/5/05, 09:44 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by svopaul+May 5, 2005, 7:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(svopaul @ May 5, 2005, 7:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-winkcm95@May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM

[/b][/quote]

Paul, do you keep all cars you built or do you sell them? If you build cars for customers, don't you need to build a car how customer likes it? I mean, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business, I'm sure you know what you're doing but I just wanted to know how whole thing works. If you build cars for other people, don't you need to build what they want?
Old 5/5/05, 10:22 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Red Star+May 5, 2005, 9:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red Star @ May 5, 2005, 9:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by svopaul@May 5, 2005, 7:28 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-winkcm95
@May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM

Paul, do you keep all cars you built or do you sell them? If you build cars for customers, don't you need to build a car how customer likes it? I mean, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business, I'm sure you know what you're doing but I just wanted to know how whole thing works. If you build cars for other people, don't you need to build what they want?
[/b][/quote]

I know how it works...I don't think you understand here. The cars you see here are mine...I build them for me and if I decide to sell one later then I do but they are not built with the intention of resale.

When I build a car for someone else I guide them if asked for my recommendation. I do not/will not sell Clear taillights so if the customer wants them installed they buy them and bring them in and I would be happy to install them...I don't have to like it to install it. However if a customer is looking at buying something that I know does not deliver as advertised then I will give my recommendation not to purchase said part. The parts I sell through my shop are parts that we have used, therefore I can tell a customer with 150% certainty exactly what they can expect from that part.

I build cars every day for other people....the first thing I ask every customer is "What do YOU want out of your car?" I want to know what their goals and useage are...this helps me guide them away from wasting money on something that won't deliver or meet their goals and expectations.

My personal tastes side on the subtle area....I don't like huge graphics and wild body kits...but if the customer wants that then fine, it is their car....however this is why I choose to NOT work on Imports, because I don't like that "NOPI look" and I know that most of the body kits out there are pure trash in fit and finish and I won't waste my time making them look good. My own cars follow a clean look and in the case of the '03 GT we are currently building we have made a lot of suggestions to the customer to help simplify and clean the car up and he has loved every one of them....he just happens to follow along the same idea of what we have a vision for.
Old 5/5/05, 10:49 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by winkcm95+May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(winkcm95 @ May 4, 2005, 7:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>How does anyone like pre-87 foxes? The 4-eyes give me sore eyes!!! Especially the early 80's ones. I guess its just whatever people like....but these are probably the only stangs besides the 94-98 stangs that i just never really liked. I guess im just a fan of the 60-70s, 87-93, and 99+
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-svopaul

I build cars every day for other people....the first thing I ask every customer is "What do YOU want out of your car?" I want to know what their goals and useage are...this helps me guide them away from wasting money on something that won't deliver or meet their goals and expectations.

My personal tastes side on the subtle area....I don't like huge graphics and wild body kits...but if the customer wants that then fine, it is their car....however this is why I choose to NOT work on Imports, because I don't like that "NOPI look" and I know that most of the body kits out there are pure trash in fit and finish and I won't waste my time making them look good. My own cars follow a clean look and in the case of the '03 GT we are currently building we have made a lot of suggestions to the customer to help simplify and clean the car up and he has loved every one of them....he just happens to follow along the same idea of what we have a vision for.
[/quote]

The 03 GT he is referring to is mine ... and if you're curious about it you can see the progress of the car in this thread .. The Sickness Project: Updates

SVP has been very helpful with my project, and No they have not been pushy in any way with what direction I wanted to take the car. They did offer several suggestions once they had a feel for what I wanted out of the car. While we All have our own preferrences, that doesn't mean that Paul pushes his on customers ... and while there are somethings we have slightly different tastes on he hasn't been anything but helpful.

SVP gets the from me.
Old 5/5/05, 12:17 PM
GT Member

how'd this get so far off the original topic?

Quick Reply: clean early Fox on Ebay