Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

93alt

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/11, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93alt

My alternator just took a dumpin my 93 has anyone out there ever upgraded there alt to a 95 alt and had no problems with smoken anything..... Stock 93 alt has 75 amp output and 95 has 130 amps of output.... I know ill need to upgrade the wireing from the alt (45$ 4gage kit) but i was wondering if anyone has had any problems smokin anything with the higher amp load
Old 10/10/11, 12:47 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yep. I've done it. Get the wiring right and no problems. I think you may have to grind out the mount a bit but nothing difficult.
Old 10/10/11, 01:09 PM
V6 Member

How hard is the wiring to mess up.... Is it diffrent or do i just copy whats there only with the biger wires.....?
Old 10/10/11, 01:22 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It's been a while since I've done it. It's not that bad. I would google search for instructions. I think that the new alts come with a new plug also.
Old 10/10/11, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Hope its not to hard ill be doing the upgrade in a hotel parking lot... Lol love being on the road with my fox!!!!! Best travel car ever !!!!!!!
Old 10/10/11, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Awesome would disagree about that 'best' part, but agrees that all Mustangs in general are awesome travel cars.

/Just did a trip to Kerrville, was so very fun there and back!
//Good luck with your swappage!
Old 10/10/11, 09:40 PM
V6 Member

Iv been from montana to seatle to portland to north dakota to denver to kansas city back to spokane into wyoming and back home to montana all this summer and the alternator is the only thing iv had go wrong. And if i could of went without the radar detector prob wouldnt of lost that either.... Lol.... This will be a well needed upgrade if i can pull it off... It dont seem to hard tho....
Old 10/11/11, 09:25 PM
x21
Bullitt Member

I was planning on doing the swap - did some research myself, but I noticed how crumbled up the original harness was. Got a quick replacement off ebay, and some dielectric grease, and although it wasn't a a massive improvement, it was still an improvement, keeping the 75 amp. Depending on how much of a crunch for time you are on, you can see if that might help any. Otherwise, I did see a direct-fit kit alt (no grinding needed, but only a 95 amp and still needed the 4 gauge wire upgrade) at latemodelresto, although it was a bit pricey. As long as you dont mind the bit of grinding and upgrading to a 4 gauge wire, i would say go for the 130. I never heard of anyone regretting doing the swap. If I wasn't a cheapskate combined with being intent on trying to keep it looking stock, I would have gone through with it myself.
Good luck either way! And yes, Fox Mustangs are great travel cars (all through FL, GA-TX a few times, then GA -VA/DC/MD)
Old 10/11/11, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

Well spent about 5 hours of my time two freinds and a 12 pack and the alt is in... Prob only would of taken about a hour but the 12 pack and freinds kept getting in the way..... Good times.... Its runnin good, bat light turned off and idles a lot better mabey im just hearing things but seams to run better.... The web was a big help for this project.... Thanks to all ya for ur info on the subject....