Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

92 fox rear Saleen wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/21, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 fox rear Saleen wing ?

My 92 mustang has a 2 piece Saleen wing and I would like to remove the top part , my question is how is it attached to the bottom half before I go ripping into it
Old 4/5/21, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Howdy!

So, most of the 'Saleen' wings for the Fox body I see out there are knock offs that're one piece. Kinda odd you search for a 'Saleen' thing, and you get all these other pages... but I found what you need:

https://www.saleenperformance.com/co...saleen-foxbody

This is the actual Saleen wing, the upper part only, as the lowers are not available from them. And in the pictures you can see there's bolt holes (likely filled with some sort of fastener) where the upper wing mounts to the lower standoffs of a true Saleen wing system on the Fox.

As such, the only two ways that top part's coming off are the following: (a) you remove the entire assembly from the decklid first, then disassemble the standoffs. Or (b) sawzall/dremel/hammer/brute freaking hulk it off.

(b) seems to be what you're thinking of doing, given:
before I go ripping into it

but perhaps I've misinterpreted. It happens.

And all this diatribe is assuming I got the correct wing in the first place. If it's not the Fox Body Saleen Wing as depicted, then please, post pics up so maybe I/we can get this right for ya. But in any event, the best way to figure it out is to take it off the decklid/hatch entirely and see how it's mounted that way.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 4/5/21 at 08:27 PM.
Old 4/5/21, 10:44 PM

Thank You

Thanks for the information, I wasn’t planning on using a saw I wanted to do it the right way just didn’t know if it was bolted or glued
Old 4/6/21, 12:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

There is usually a gasket involved between the wing/spoiler and the decklid/hatch. And sometimes they use double sided tape of some thickness instead. All to prevent noise and/or rubbing. So the likely thing is that after unbolting one side, you'll want to test for 'stickage' and be gentle. If it's sticking, you might use some fishing line of thinness yet strong tensilely, and saw the gasket/tape. You can also opt for heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, just be careful about application, you don't want to cook the paint.
Old 4/6/21, 06:47 AM

Thanks

Thanks for that , I’ll check for tape as I remove it
Old 4/6/21, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yessir! Good luck on it!