Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

'90 lx interceptor?

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/05, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,
My friend has a 90 lx mustang which he claims is a police interceptor. I'd like to find out if it is truly an interceptor or a clone. I have it in my driveway for a few days and I'll take pictures of whatever I need to show you guys in order to get a verdict. He claims it was a limited model that was sent to canada for mods. Anyway, please let me know what specific things to take pics of because I am not an expert on this car as many of you are. Thanks!
Old 8/16/05, 07:32 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
First go to www.sspmustang.org....lots of good info there. Second, find the buck tag on the radiator core support...THAT will have the information to prove it as an SSP Mustang. The car should have one single key to fit every lock in the car(A square ignition key). There should be an oil cooler on it and ground straps everywhere(ie: mufflers to body, hood hinges, rear bumper and a few other places....under the carpet under the back of the driver seat it should have a brace that comes from the floor and attaches to the side of the inner rocker panel...The speedometer should read "CERTIFIED CALIBRATION" but that is one that is easily swapped out. Also look at the door data sticker....some police cars were ordered as fleet units and painted 2 tone from the factory...this would show up as having 2 paint codes on the data sticker.
Old 8/16/05, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the help Paul! With your help and info, I believe I found what I'm looking for. Below are some pics I took. I found the bucktag located behind the driver's headlight. Anything else interesting you see in the pics? My buddy picked it up for a cool $2400 and it drives GREAT.[attachmentid=30753]
Old 8/16/05, 09:56 AM

sorry, had to resize images for post to accept it.
[attachmentid=30755]
Old 8/16/05, 09:58 AM

other view:[attachmentid=30757]
Old 8/16/05, 10:04 AM

Notice the red button on the shifter and the red light next to the sterring wheel column mid-dash. What the heck could this be? I haven't pushed it while driving yet until I trace the wires. I don't think the car has NOS unless its under the back seat, nothing of the like in the truck. Also notice the grant bracket I guess was used for police radio/scanner. You can also see the 160mph and it says "certified calibration".

[attachmentid=30760]
Old 8/16/05, 10:06 AM

another cool feature:
[attachmentid=30763]
Old 8/16/05, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Those pics are grrrrrrrrrrreat! Sorry just kidding. Seems to be pretty nice. The red button could have been nos, but somone took the klit out and left the button.
Old 8/16/05, 03:47 PM
Service Manager

Yup, that appears to be a genuine SSP Mustang from the buck tag. The Interceptor intake plate is not original and it has a MAC Cold air kit on it. Ditch the flex fan and put a replacement correct clutch fan on the car. The map light is standard....not sure what the button is, could have been almost anything from a light activation to someones nitrous kit.
Old 8/17/05, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

whats wrong with flex fans????
Old 8/17/05, 07:29 PM
GTR Member

Flex Fans are not reliable, cause overheating, modules go bad, etc.
Old 8/17/05, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

um, my flex fan held up 14 dragstrip runs in 2 1/2 hours, top speed runs, 70 miles a day daily driving, and uhhhhhhhhhh it actually makes my motor run cooler, which is why I have it. And it doesn't crack like the stock plastic one does. Modules?
Old 8/17/05, 08:38 PM
GTR Member

the thing that controls when the 2nd fan kicks on..

bTW judging from your sig, your car needs more help than a electric fan ,rofl
Old 8/17/05, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you note in the picture of the engine in mistigris' post it has a mechanical flex fan (which appears to be clutch-less but I can't tell), not an electric fan. I believe SVO Paul is talking about the heavy duty fan clutch that came on all SSP mustangs. So thats why I asked what you meant by modules because mechanical fans don't have modules, they are mechanical, which means they don't have electronics...get it?

I really don't want to hi-jack this thread anymore but what time did you get your nearly stock 5.0 to at the 1/4?....of wait you're not old enough to drive
Old 8/18/05, 07:25 AM
Service Manager

Doug, you have no place putting down anyone's quarter mile time until you have your own to talk smack with .....and although I don't like to see or agree with the "Not old enough to drive" statements...You did bring that on yourself by starting in on him with the smart comment about time.

I started out with a stock 5.0 years ago with an AOD running 15.23 in the 1/4....everyone starts somewhere and there is no need or reason to put someone down unless it is a smack talk session(we prefer friendly ones) and someone is making bold claims when they don't have anything to back it up with.....

The SSP Mustang used the same fan but had a heavy duty clutch.....but I stand by keeping the plastic fan and clutch simply because it is MUCH quieter than a flex fan and a lot less likely to take a finger off accidentally "IF" one was to get brain fade and get their hand near there . I have taken off many flex fans just because of the noise....A new plastic OEM type fan will get you another 15 years of service and work well.

Flex fans do NOT "Cause" overheating....they do NOT cause "modules" to go bad...not sure where you got that or "etc"....they are noisy...that's about it.

You have to keep straight what cars we are talking about...the ONLY Fox Mustangs to have electric fans are the 2.3 versions(both Turbo and N/A)....Electric fans didn't come about until the SN-95 models and that is another forum group entirely.....and IF you had an electric fan on the car we wouldn't even be talking about Flex Fans.....
Old 8/18/05, 09:46 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Valentino@August 17, 2005, 10:10 PM
If you note in the picture of the engine in mistigris' post it has a mechanical flex fan (which appears to be clutch-less but I can't tell), not an electric fan. I believe SVO Paul is talking about the heavy duty fan clutch that came on all SSP mustangs. So thats why I asked what you meant by modules because mechanical fans don't have modules, they are mechanical, which means they don't have electronics...get it?

I really don't want to hi-jack this thread anymore but what time did you get your nearly stock 5.0 to at the 1/4?....of wait you're not old enough to drive
My uncle ran his bone stock 91 LX notch 5.0 5 speed with manual steering to a 14.2
Old 8/18/05, 09:47 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by svopaul@August 18, 2005, 8:28 AM
Doug, you have no place putting down anyone's quarter mile time until you have your own to talk smack with .....and although I don't like to see or agree with the "Not old enough to drive" statements...You did bring that on yourself by starting in on him with the smart comment about time.

I started out with a stock 5.0 years ago with an AOD running 15.23 in the 1/4....everyone starts somewhere and there is no need or reason to put someone down unless it is a smack talk session(we prefer friendly ones) and someone is making bold claims when they don't have anything to back it up with.....
The SSP Mustang used the same fan but had a heavy duty clutch.....but I stand by keeping the plastic fan and clutch simply because it is MUCH quieter than a flex fan and a lot less likely to take a finger off accidentally "IF" one was to get brain fade and get their hand near there . I have taken off many flex fans just because of the noise....A new plastic OEM type fan will get you another 15 years of service and work well.
Flex fans do NOT "Cause" overheating....they do NOT cause "modules" to go bad...not sure where you got that or "etc"....they are noisy...that's about it.

You have to keep straight what cars we are talking about...the ONLY Fox Mustangs to have electric fans are the 2.3 versions(both Turbo and N/A)....Electric fans didn't come about until the SN-95 models and that is another forum group entirely.....and IF you had an electric fan on the car we wouldn't even be talking about Flex Fans.....
I didnt mean to put him down, sorry about that. I worded that post wrong, it makes no sense does it.
Old 8/18/05, 09:57 AM
Service Manager

Originally posted by Fordracing200@August 18, 2005, 9:49 AM
My uncle ran his bone stock 91 LX notch 5.0 5 speed with manual steering to a 14.2

Look at what you are comparing Doug....an LX notch to a GT Hatch....BIG weight difference there! Driver experience will have a part too but there is a huge difference between an LX coupe and a GT.
Old 8/18/05, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well honestly I didn't take Doug's comments as much of a knock down because I know that he knows nothing about the sight, sounds, and feelings you experience when YOU are in your car actually ON the strip. Being next to an 11 second notch with open pipes my 2nd round was very intimidating, scary, and LOUD, especially when he started blowing a lot of blue smoke at the 660' and I had to drive through it.

Yes it was my first time at the strip ever and yes I AM a bad driver and I refused to powershift because I have to drive the car everyday and I didn't feel like having a 400 dollar tow bill home with my T5 scattered all over Beaver Springs. The important part is that I got to legally speed and had a blast.

Yes my flex fan whirls, whines and groans like something awful and I wish I could use an HD clutch with the same fan but in the higher RPMs I think it sounds pretty cool. And it IS sharp!!! My dad cut his finger just by lightly touching it (while installing it) but its painted red and the blades are polished so it looks good.

Doug- no you didn't word that post wrong at all and it DOES make complete sense... I have nothing personal against you because I don't even know you. But what I can determine from my over 1 year lurking here reading your posts is that I can tell you don't know very much about mustangs other than what you read or are told (i'm talking mechanical and nitty-gritty stuff). All I can tell you is that nothing is better than your own personal experience with a car. Hopefully when you get old enough you can get a stang and drive it carefully and learn all about it from yourself- its better to learn that way.
It greatly irritates me when you try to pass your opinions as fact and answer questions with out providing any sources or back up other than your uncle or dad. In the guidelines I think it says something about not pretending you know everything, please take this into consideration. No one will think you are a dumb kid for not having an answer for EVERY question. I encourage your OPINION as much as anyone else's on this board, but please let it be known that a statement is sometimes your opinion and not fact.
/rantOFF
Old 8/22/05, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
//tries to lighten mood

15.17 still beats whatever the heck my II runs stock

Quick Reply: '90 lx interceptor?