Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/13, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!

So i been looking to pick up one of these for tears and finally got her in my garage. . I am all for advice, talk downs if thats what it takes and HONEST oppinions unlike most. So as i write this up and ask for opinions and advice dont be adraid to put how u feel.. I am not one to get hurt bout it and will ask what is preffered otherwise.

So here it is 1988 coupe 5.0 body.
Was conpletly stock i was told with lowering springs and cobra 17s 4 lug lol.
Paid 1200. Near perfect body, clean title.

Goal = ground up build, i know this build takes garages weeks. My home garage will take tears so be patiant with me and keep that in mind.

Paint was originally red with red interior. The ex is rattle canned black and the inside including dash was painted black with seat covers and replaced black carpet.

I have already stripped tge engine bay of harness and today the plan is to tear her down and store parts.

As i am looking for a good motor and trans setup i am goin to be redoing interior. And prepping the engine bay and chassis dor paint. I paint for a living so am goin to get a good break on that part.

Here is where i am at now and will upload new pucs of progress as i go. Fell free for comments, advise and or suggestions on things like color, spoiler or none, moror and trans or all else..

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-1792069140.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-233049168.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-2584677930.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-2703766005.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-3890460833.jpg  

88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-440328291.jpg  
Old 3/24/13, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I like the all black theme, and I do like the satin black primer look. But I'm sure you're going for Lime Green Silver Metallic Candy with Candy Yellow Golden Metallic two tone top and bottom with the airbrushed ripped up side graphics like a beast is trying to escape from inside the car, right? And the interior is going to be blue white and yellow leather/vinyl as needed.

I knew it. That's gonna be COMPLETELY SWEET, and I can't wait to see it. Should go nicely with the steering wheel you have already.

---

All seriousness, a total scratch build is fun. You don't seem to be having any ideas on the post, though, so it's hard to tell you anything other than have a plan(tm) and a vision(r) and don't let anyone tell ya different unless it's mechanically impossible.

Say, like a train diesel motor won't go in that. Sorry. But you know it'd be awesome. But a nice crate motor will. Or one you build yourself. You have a blank slate, go nuts (within your budget, now... don't be crazy.)

Have a ton of fun, man! Look forward to the progress!
Old 3/24/13, 10:18 AM

Ya true i didnt really post any ideas.. The ideas i have in mind for paint was almost midnight purple. Almost black with stripes. Altho my wife wants it white lol.. As for stripes i am debating on the 2 racing stripes or one wide stripe.. I am not a big fan of all the airbrush stuff and hate flames so tryin to go a little less eye catching more simple.. Colors still undecided. I dont want no line green lol nor any like out tgere colors.. Dont care for black and red no more cuz everybody does it and black and white i think is a bit too plane..

Motor and trans is still a bit undecided. Not looking for a 10 second car but a upscaled mild build. Origional 302 with cam, port and polish, headers and the explorer heads with explorer upper and lower intake. I hear the explore parts make for a pretty decent gain. My buddy is tellin me the 4 banger tranny has better gears and to drop a good clutch and short throw on it. All in all a setup with good power but still build fairly inexspensive compared to a crate motor.
Old 3/24/13, 12:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rjheger
Ya true i didnt really post any ideas.. The ideas i have in mind for paint was almost midnight purple. Almost black with stripes. Altho my wife wants it white lol.. As for stripes i am debating on the 2 racing stripes or one wide stripe.. I am not a big fan of all the airbrush stuff and hate flames so tryin to go a little less eye catching more simple.. Colors still undecided. I dont want no line green lol nor any like out tgere colors.. Dont care for black and red no more cuz everybody does it and black and white i think is a bit too plane..

Motor and trans is still a bit undecided. Not looking for a 10 second car but a upscaled mild build. Origional 302 with cam, port and polish, headers and the explorer heads with explorer upper and lower intake. I hear the explore parts make for a pretty decent gain. My buddy is tellin me the 4 banger tranny has better gears and to drop a good clutch and short throw on it. All in all a setup with good power but still build fairly inexspensive compared to a crate motor.
Looks like a nice build project. when you get a chance thumb through our tech info plenty of good stuff including GT40 info. I'll help out in any way I can.

your buddy is dead wrong on the 4 banger tranny, it is weak and has the lowest torque rating of the line up..don't waste your money.
Old 3/26/13, 08:26 PM

Been workin on it here a few times when i get the time to kick back some beers and go at it..

Heres the progress. I have almost everything strip down except the doors and rear bumper and exhaust. I beoke the **** perfect windshield getting the molding off the inside top by roof liner. ;(

Have some custom fit seat covers i am goin to be getting rid of soon.. Under them was ugly *** red but seats look brand new. They are going to a upostry shop t get redone..
Attached Thumbnails 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-3596717792.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-1194940035.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-437221825.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-3766517059.jpg  
Old 3/26/13, 10:04 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a great starting point. A mild built 302 would be a good powerplant for this car, make it a good driver as well.

Look forward to the build
Old 3/27/13, 09:17 PM

14 hour shift today so no stang time but my wife sent me this pic lol.. My 1 year old learning early lol. Had to add it haha
Attached Thumbnails 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-4162487373.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-2021144900.jpg  
Old 3/28/13, 09:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oooh, man, that jutting thing... glad he missed it. Right? Right.

/Get a helmmamet on that noggin, kid.
//Bringin' him up right, though!
Old 4/4/13, 05:29 AM

Just a update.. Got the engine harness all bagged up and degreased bay. Prepping for semi or gloss black high temp paint?? I was leaning toward the burnt orange paint on the car but seen the coupes like that and not a big fan. Really liking the metallic gun metal gray with a matte black stripe over top?? Or midnight purple with the matte black stripe??
Old 4/4/13, 08:26 AM
V6 Member

Just a update.. Got the engine harness all bagged up and degreased bay. Prepping for semi or gloss black high temp paint?? I was leaning toward the burnt orange paint on the car but seen the coupes like that and not a big fan. Really liking the metallic gun metal gray with a matte black stripe over top?? Or midnight purple with the matte black stripe??
Either on of those will look sick. Love gun metal grey! With the matte black stripe, I would go semi high temp black on the engine bay. Just my opinion.
Old 4/4/13, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91notchback

Either on of those will look sick. Love gun metal grey! With the matte black stripe, I would go semi high temp black on the engine bay. Just my opinion.
Ya thanks man i was thinkin the same.. I want it to look good under the hood but not too too flashy.. Plus with the matte black it should go better huh..
Old 4/4/13, 05:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I say Midnight Purple with Pearl all round, with the Metallic Gunmetal Gray stripes, which are set off by a pinstripe of the semi-gloss black as an outline, 1-2 coats of clear metallic candy to give it the moar sparkles, then 3-4 coats of clear only.

Oh yeah. THAT will be sick. And be super awesome in any light, and *deeeep* lookin'.

/****, I wanna do that to something now.

Last edited by houtex; 4/4/13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 4/6/13, 09:13 AM

Cobra r hood with svo scoop... Went to a buddies last night to help work on his cummins build and he found tgis laying around out at his property lol.. Needs a little work but all around i think its a bad *** hood. Probably goin to run good pins on it when all done.
Attached Thumbnails 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-1631835007.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-1476336471.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-3843318602.jpg  
Old 4/6/13, 07:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Take them badges and move them to the fenders. That'll be right and look good too.

/Oh, by the way, I like living vicariously through other's projects. Don't listen to my advice, it's your baby, make it what you want.
//Unless it's hella awesome advice, like that paint 'suggestion'.
Old 4/6/13, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by houtex
Take them badges and move them to the fenders. That'll be right and look good too.

/Oh, by the way, I like living vicariously through other's projects. Don't listen to my advice, it's your baby, make it what you want.
//Unless it's hella awesome advice, like that paint 'suggestion'.
Na for sure man i love the advice.. The paint seems a bit flashy with the candy and pearl.. Im kinda a more plain kinda guy lol.. If i do purple it will be so purple almolst look black except in direct light.. The idea with the badges is good tho. I dont like them on the hood like that.. Thanks
Old 4/11/13, 09:16 PM

Made some progress on the fox.. Still a long way to go..
Old 4/11/13, 09:17 PM

Sorry heres pics
Attached Thumbnails 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-799350671.jpg   88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!-image-2060690772.jpg  
Old 4/18/13, 09:12 AM

Been lookin at a few motor options.. U all know i am not wanting a race car but some good power.. I am new to this and with alot of research learned that i am looking at a e or b 303 cam, thinking gt40p heads and gt40 upper / lower intakes with some headers shoud give me plenty for what i am looking for..

Now, i know with the gt40p heads u have a select few headers that will work with the plug angle. I was talkin to a guy that is tellin me to go pick up the whole explorer block from the jy and go that route.. I am finding lots of info on the gt40p head coversion but not so much on doing the explorer long block?? I have done a few motor swaps on jeeps but the ford thing is new to me. Not sure how interchangable wiringand computers are?? Can i use my harness and comp with out splicing and rigging every sensor?? Is the fuel pump the same? Will it run the bigger injectors i hear they have?? Things like accessories, oil pan, pump and pick up will need changed.. But what about the stock headers from the explorer? Will the clear everything? Anything else i might run onto if i go this route?

Any info would be great or a link to a good write up in wich case i was blind lol.. Thanks and also i am open to opinions.
Old 4/18/13, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

3 main points you have to decide before going in any driveline direction.... 5speed or Auto; Carb'd or EFI; Mass Air Conversion?
Tranny issue is simple... but you need a harness/computer combo accordingly, with a direct link to either Speed Density or Mass Air. Mass Air gives you more options....
A9L or A9P are the most common/popular computers out there (5sp/auto) for a Mass Air set up...
Fuel delivery... EFI is what the car is wired for, but not knowing what you have for wiring and what your needs and talents are... a simple plug n play if you keep the EFI.
Fuel pump... stock is adequet at best... an easy upgrade to a 190 or 255 depending on your power needs/desire.
Engine options from mild to wild, but the best starting point is to buy a donor car with a running drivetrain so you will have all the needs adressed. A simple stock block rebuild with a decision to be made on heads... cast (GT40 or GT40P) or aluminum? Either GT set will be a nice improvement over stock, with aluminum being 10 steps further...make this choice before deciding on intake/cam as the type of heads will dictate expense vs. match on the intake. While you can spend crazy money on an intake set-up, a GT40 (explorer) set-up works very nicely with a GT40(p) head set. 24 pound injectors will be more than enough. Aluminum heads will gain full power potential with a shorter runner style intake (TFS Track Heat or Edelbrock RPM2), but.... needs and budget come in to play.
Rounding all of this into one big ball of decisions... A/C delete??? Smog delete??? ALT upgrade??? Underdrive Pulleys??? Electric Cooling Fan??? Custom Tuned for optimum Power???

I know this is more that you asked about, but all has to be thought out before making power choices.

As for a budget... plan on 5000.00 for the drive line regardless of the route you take, but take your time getting there!

Last edited by delz05; 4/18/13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 4/18/13, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Been lookin at a few motor options.. U all know i am not wanting a race car but some good power.. I am new to this and with alot of research learned that i am looking at a e or b 303 cam, thinking gt40p heads and gt40 upper / lower intakes with some headers shoud give me plenty for what i am looking for..

Now, i know with the gt40p heads u have a select few headers that will work with the plug angle. I was talkin to a guy that is tellin me to go pick up the whole explorer block from the jy and go that route.. I am finding lots of info on the gt40p head coversion but not so much on doing the explorer long block?? I have done a few motor swaps on jeeps but the ford thing is new to me. Not sure how interchangable wiringand computers are?? Can i use my harness and comp with out splicing and rigging every sensor?? Is the fuel pump the same? Will it run the bigger injectors i hear they have?? Things like accessories, oil pan, pump and pick up will need changed.. But what about the stock headers from the explorer? Will the clear everything? Anything else i might run onto if i go this route?

Any info would be great or a link to a good write up in wich case i was blind lol.. Thanks and also i am open to opinions.
To use the explorer block, you will need to strip it down to a short block. The springs on the heads will need upgrading. You will use the fox mustang accessory brackets, fuel lines and injectors, engine harnesses, engine mounts, oil pan and pickup, timing cover and water pump, headers, valve covers, and sensors. You will also need a throttle body, but can reuse the explorer one if you change the cable arm, it is also larger diameter. There a few other things, but thats basically it.

Quick Reply: 88 fox coupe dream build thread!!!