Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

87 GT needs Help!

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 GT needs Help!

Ok, This is the first time that I've posted a question, So I hope I do this right.

Here's the problem.
My headlights went out while driving down the freeway. Now, they come on 1 out of every 25 times you flip the switch. But the only come on for a few seconds then off again. Running lights work fine. Highbeams work only when you pull the turnsignal lever tword you and hold. Highbeams will not stay on light they should when you push the lever forward.
First question will be "Did you check the fuses?", Answer---Yep. They are fine.
Electrical is not my fortay. In fact Electricity scares the crap out of me. It might have something to do with the time I was putting in a floresent bulb while holding the other end.....ZAP!
Anyway, Anybody have this problem of have some ideas where to start??
Phil
Old 8/7/06, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine does the same thing, most 87-93 GTs had that problem while using the foglamps for more than 10 minutes, the headlights begin to cut on and off. I think Ford issued a TSB for it, something about the number 15 circuit overheats because the foglights draw too much juice for the wires to handle. When I leave the highbeams on for 15 minutes it does the same thing. I bought a replacement headlight switch plug (http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/?p=vp&id=312) but haven't installed it yet, hopefully it will fix the problem.

For now, if you just leave the foglights off you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 8/7/06, 01:21 PM

I wish I could rush home right now and try that.
I don't think that I tried turning off the fog lamps.
I post when I get home and see if that helps.
Old 8/8/06, 03:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same kind of problem years ago with an '87 GT I bought new. Eventually, I had a friend who rewired my foglights to where I could run them by thereselfs and never had another issue with the headlights.