Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

5.0 to a 4.6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was wondering if anyone knows about a 5.0L to 4.6L swap in a fox body...i'm looking for a webpage or something that tells me everything i'll need for the swap.
Old 1/8/05, 08:18 PM
GTR Member

Pick up the January 5.0 Mustang Magzine. They have a feature car that is a old LX with a 98 Cobra motor. What r your plans for your car? Put a 03 cobra Crate motor in it. Quickest way is to just swap K-members and all
Old 1/9/05, 12:11 AM

i'll be doing a kenne bell 2.4L blower a updated fuel system probably will run 2 255lph pumps 77lb injectors and i think for hte street i'll run a 11lb pulley and then i'll use a diablo sport chip with 3 burns and run a 11lb, 15, 18 lb burn...i'm also debating on color...i know everyhting for the suspension i want to use. i just gotta figure out something for my igition system and a few other things...thanks for you interest
Old 1/9/05, 09:11 AM
GTR Member

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have gotta post pictures. Welcome to the site. Paint your car midnight metalic blue. My dad had a Metalic blue 86 and it looked great. Heres a picture. What motor? The 03 cobra motor is the best choice.
Old 1/10/05, 01:25 AM

its going to be a 03 cobra motor and trans along with a 02gt's interior and either cobra racing seats covered with black leather and grey suede or 03 corba seats and i thought about doing a blue to red color changing paint...if i get the 85gt with t-tops its got a 93 cobra body so i was going t swap the pump and do something like a saleen rear bumper or something then i got to debate on a spoiler...i'll get 5% tint on all the windows but windshield and then on the back window i have found a sticker i always wanted that says "only little boys wear bowties" and it has a huge horse above it....i'm going to do motorsports r rims with the little rivets on the lip...and who knows what else i guess i'll just play it buy year....it will be a custom 5.0 and i think it will make a great show/ race/ cruising car. ya know...
Old 1/10/05, 11:21 AM
GTR Member

Yes, 95 R wheels on a 93 cobra replica would be sweet. Do not get a T-top car cause they leak and are easily stolen. The T-Top cars also have less strength and easily twist. What parts of an 02 GT interior. What cars/parts etc. do u have on hand now? Sweet Idea. I have thought of it but i do not have that kind of money. Kool!
Old 1/10/05, 04:05 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. this sounds really cool. cant wait to see some pix of the finished version
Old 1/10/05, 06:18 PM
GTR Member

Yes, Sounds very kool. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 1/10/05, 08:18 PM

the way i see it is if someone really wants to take it they can...lol...i'd rather have them break a window out then anything....there will be precations taken in the build like a remote fuel shutoff anda few other things i know how to wire up....also i will be using a spider brace underneith the car which looks like a spider web and has a driveshaft safety loop already installed and jack plates for lowered vehicle.....i will use a 10 point cage cause i think with the build, and the type of stuff i will be using i will still be able to keep the car under or aroud 3,000 lbs, and have anywhere frm 700-900hp depending on burn and pulley for the blower....this is be one feared car by the ricers that live by me....oh and if you guys know of anyone that wants to buy car audio or performance stuff let me know cause i sell alot of the stuff at below retale value....thanks again for your interest if you have anymore questions or want anymore info about the car or the car audio and performance stuff e-mail me at....foxcruzin87gt@aol.com....thanks again for your interest..
Old 1/11/05, 01:09 PM
GTR Member

kool, I am druelling!! Neat ideas.
Old 1/11/05, 01:10 PM
GTR Member

I posted this in another area and figured you didn't see it so here is a nice poem.

A Christmas Carol (03 Cobra vs. Evolution Lancer)

Twas the night before Christmas and out on the street,
Nothing was moving, not even a Jeep.
All was still with nothing in sight,
Then what to my wandering eyes did I see,
But a Mustang SVT alone at a light.
The moonlight glistened off my wing, oh so gay.
My import was ready to show ‘em the way.
I had some NOS on my tiny motor,
I would beat that stang with its Eaton supercharger.
I pulled along side and revved up with a fart,
Pointed to the wing on my gay shopping cart.
The light turned green, I was off like a jolt,
While the SVT filled the night sky with smoke.
I called to my EVO’s 4 pistons,
On basher, on crasher, on smasher, and the one knocking,
Onward faster let’s finish the slaughtering.
The engine did rev, I was ready for action,
But just at that moment the Mustang caught traction.
With a grin on his face, and a gleam in his eye,
Like a shot from a cannon the SVT went by.
He blew by so fast, he spun me round twice.
I knew at that moment I was freshley fried rice.
He held up one finger as he drove into the night,
All I saw was dimming taillights.
But I heard him exclaim as he roared outta sight
“You stupid ricer, you can’t beat Blue Oval dynamiteâ€

-Robbie Rhule
Old 1/11/05, 09:53 PM

haha thats great
Old 1/12/05, 05:00 AM
GTR Member

If you get a Fox get a 85-86 GT front end. I love the look. But you might not, just a suggestion. this pic is of my dads old 86 GT. Use a GT or SALEEN rear spoiler.
Old 1/12/05, 07:28 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 10, 2005, 12:24 PM
Yes, 95 R wheels on a 93 cobra replica would be sweet. Do not get a T-top car cause they leak and are easily stolen. The T-Top cars also have less strength and easily twist. What parts of an 02 GT interior. What cars/parts etc. do u have on hand now? Sweet Idea. I have thought of it but i do not have that kind of money. Kool!
T top cars don't always leak...but are more prone to it because of the age and lack of care to the seals. I have had a couple of T top cars that never leaked and a couple that did. If not torn you can clean and condition the seals to rejuvinate them.

T top cars are NOT easily stolen more than any other Mustang! I have seen MANY Mustangs that have been stolen and only ONE of them was a T top car and the T tops had NOTHING to do with the theft of the car! I won't go into details on how they steal them because this is the internet but I witnessed many cars at auction that had been stolen and going through T tops was NOT the method.

With that said, T top cars are more flexible by design...this can be addressed with Subframe connectors or even better using something like the Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix system. These like convertibles are not optimal cars for drag or road racing....but they can be improved upon.
Old 1/12/05, 08:19 AM
GTR Member

You can buy new seals for the T-Top cars. I have also seen/heard of many thefts. Alot of stangs dont have T-Top locks like the stupid F-Bodies did. This is one reason.........
Old 1/12/05, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Look up the # for mv performance. They have done a ton of these swaps. Not nessasarily for 03 cobra motors but they did Joe Charles's car. It was a 2v car with a t trim that went 10.18. Tim and Kannen can give you a ton of advice if you call them. Also you could call Joe he works for Parkway Fords parts dept. 770 773 3703. He can tell you just about everything your gonna need.
Old 1/12/05, 07:53 PM

i've owned 2 t-top cars and they didn't leak even going into car washes.... the only thing i noticed in someone stealing it is that it would be like somene was trying to steal a 99-present stang without that junk that goes around the window....also i said i will be running a spider brace which goes from the front of the car by the k-member all the way to the rear trque boxes and looks lieka spider web and also has a driveshaft safety loop and i'm going to fabircate a 4 link into it cause i'm worring about traction issues i want a good portion of traction but i don't want to do wheelies and when i go to the track i don't want a parachute lol...i dunno its going to be sweet...i talked to a few people about the paint and i think i'm going to paint it a black pearl with lightning bolts that are blue/red color changing paint....this will be a cruiser/track/show car and where ever it goes it will be remembered by both the enthusiasts and the import lovers that get there azz handed to them...lol oh and when its done i'm going to go searching for some rich guy with a c6 vette cause i saw one the other day and i want one....lol....so i will go for him..... alright but i will still always be a blue oval guy at heart i guess you could say lol....thanks for your intests guys....
Old 1/13/05, 05:56 PM
GTR Member

kool, will be sweet. that kinda power eqauls 9 second 1/4s
Old 1/14/05, 07:14 AM
Service Manager

Received 430 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally posted by Fordracing200@January 12, 2005, 9:22 AM
You can buy new seals for the T-Top cars. I have also seen/heard of many thefts. Alot of stangs dont have T-Top locks like the stupid F-Bodies did. This is one reason.........
Only the very early Mustangs with T-tops came without locks(79-83 or so)....after that every one I have ever seen has locks. The problem with thefts IF related to that is the owners fault for not locking them ...many people never bothered to lock their T tops. But it's easier to slim jim a door than it is to make something strong enough to open the T top handle to get into one....I had a friend locked out of his '86 GT and I got in through the T top...not as easy as you think
Old 1/14/05, 11:54 PM

yeah not even thinking about that i mean if someone really wants my car they will get it thats what reciepts and theft insurance is for i guess.....the car will be under strict lock and key and i'm actually looking into cameras for hte garage...lol...

Quick Reply: 5.0 to a 4.6 swap