Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1990 radio dial bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/16, 12:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 radio dial bulb replacement HOW TO

On my 1990 7up vert, I replaced the bulb that lights up the numbers showing the time and station on the radio. You have to use two radio removal tools, or you can make your own like I did. I started with 1/8" diameter wire and formed it into a U-shape measuring 1-3/8" wide on centers and the legs were approx. 3-1/2" long. You stick two of them into the four small holes in the face plate, push in until you feel some resistance them go maybe another 1/4" in. This frees up the spring clips on each side and the radio will slide out. I disconnected the cable and other wires from the back of the radio. Then there were two small phillips head screws holding the face plate on, one on each side. Then remove the volume **** and the 4 other smaller ***** and the face plate will come off. Then you can get into where the bulb is and replace it. I used a Sylvania #24, got them from Autozone. Five bucks for two. You're welcome.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 radio dial bulb replacement-radio-bulb-problem-1a.jpg   1990 radio dial bulb replacement-radio-removal-tip.jpg  

Last edited by 89FivePointOhLX; 10/29/16 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added info