Notices
Fox Mustangs 1979-1993 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

15 years later....

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/05, 07:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was just wondering how has everyones fox held up for its age...theres a few interior rattles and i noticed some suspension pops and such....15 years its bound to happen i guess...the noises i hear dont sound serious...going over bad spots in the road make it sound like if you took a fox mustang completely apart and threw it in a box and shook it lol..

well maybe its not that bad but...ya know what i mean
Old 9/26/05, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by flamesarewicked@September 26, 2005, 9:51 PM
well maybe its not that bad but...ya know what i mean
man! you couldnt have said it any better! i just dropped $1000 in maintenance and such in mine over the last 2 weeks, but she's still getting it
Old 9/26/05, 11:24 PM

My Mustang has a few more years on it than 15, but here's the report. Overall, the car has held up very well. The body is still decent, and the car runs as well as a carburetted inline 6 can. The interior is very nice, with the exception of the dash cracking around the speaker (yeah, it only has one speaker). The notable exceptions are: the paint is quite faded, there are a few rattles, and the diff ring gear disintegrated at 70 000 km. What really surprises me about this car is how little corrosion it has. It's been on the road for at least part of every salty Calgary winter since 1980, and there are only a few very minor spots of rust here and there.
Old 9/28/05, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 88 GT 5.0. The guy who I baught it off of really let this car go to waist but Im going to REALLY start working on it now. It has 1 out of 6 speaker grills, the radio is falling apart, ALL the weatherstripping is rotted, the pain is chipping off in the portions of golf *****, the hood is cracked, one of the headlights are broke, no vacuum lines, no ac compressor, leak in the heater core, sunroof leaks, powersteering pump is bad, electric fuel pump is bad, dash is faded and cracking, lots of little dings and dents, wheels went to heck, ball joints bad, wheel bearings bad, breaks are horrible (bare metal), quater panel window moldings are rotted out, trim is bad, broken door handles, carpet is shot, seats are shot, suspension is HORRIBLE (struts, shocks, control arms, k member, springs, etc.), speakers are shot, door panels are bad, motor w/ 32,000 miles put it but just wasnt hooked up properly (needs to be ripped out and put back in CORRECTLY), exhaust leaks, radiator support is bent, etc. Thats all that I can think of at this time. Im sure that theres more than that though I cant really say thats its held up too well I just decided last week that im going to fix EVERYTHING. I dont even want to know what I just got myself into
Old 9/28/05, 12:42 PM
GT Member

I just glad it does not have that TOXIC smell that comes with new cars.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-0...ll_x.htm?csp=34
Old 9/28/05, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ours is only 12 but it still works really good. I had to replace a bew broken things over the summer and replace all the rubber around the doors and hatch. As for mechanic things just a rattle and possible a syncro going back (or not enough fluid). Still drives like a charm and I love every minute of it.
Old 9/28/05, 01:34 PM

My 89 LX 5.0 convert has a few issues. My check engine light flashes sometimes when it's cold outside in the morning. The high beam indicator works sometimes. I have a vibration between 40 and 50 that I still can't figure out where it's coming from. My car has 60,000 actual miles and still runs strong after it's first life as a mule for a seadoo. Windows drag and sometimes don't line up when closed. Truck popper quit working. But hey it's a Mustang and I'll push it before I buy a Camaro.
Old 9/30/05, 01:36 PM

Mine is 18 this summer and it'll still raost em in 3rd gear.
I have a little rust in the back hatch. No biggie, will fix next summer. Burns a little oil.
All in all, everytime I get mine out I remember how much I love that car.
Old 10/1/05, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

mines not in bad shape other than the smacked up drivers door. hope to get all the body done over the winter. there is a rattle from the back speaker. and my E-brake rattles a little. nothing major, interior is in good shape. just had to have my heatercore replaced! UGH and now i am working on all my hoses for the winter, since i had one bust yesterday. but other than that runs like a champ. gets around 20 mpg. i definitely cant complain!
Old 10/1/05, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

on mine the passenger door window rattles, the hatch rattles depending on the smoothness of the road. other than that its pretty decent. the suspension does make noise when you go over bumps or dips...any idea of what exactly in the suspension that could be?
Old 10/2/05, 08:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by racedaddy+September 28, 2005, 1:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racedaddy @ September 28, 2005, 1:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> But hey it's a Mustang and I'll push it before I buy a Camaro.
[/b]

I'll drink to that!

<!--QuoteBegin-red87gt
@September 30, 2005, 1:39 PM
... it'll still raost em in 3rd gear.
[/quote]
...must be nice ...only 1st gear for me

Mine's a '90 with just shy of 140,000 miles. The only problems I have is the passenger side power lock switch does not work, it'll unlock using the drivers side switch tho. The keylocks freeze in the winter, so I have to use de-icer to get into my car :bang: such a pain!! I 'had' a problem with the drivers seat last year, it had that typical 'lean' due to a bent seat frame, I replaced both seats with gt seats. There are a few small rust spots (wheel wells, hatch area etc.) that I will be getting touched up every couple years to prevent it from spreading. Other than that, all is good inside and out. I try to keep it as clean as possible but it's a neverending battle living in NY and being a daily driver,...salty winter roads will take no prisoners!
The motor still runs strong (about as strong as a 2.3 can run I suppose ). Doesn't burn oil, no internal knocking sounds, starts on 1st turn every time. No major issues.
I'll own it till I kill it. It will be my winter only car once I get me a newer one someday...
Old 10/2/05, 08:56 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is still looking good, but since I've only put maybe 5K miles on in the 10 years I've had it, it should. Its lived a pretty sheltered life.
Old 10/15/05, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Mines no too bad, it has all the usual things wrong with it, doorlocks, weatherstripping,etc. It needs some new tires, and has this smell i cant get out of the interior. Its parked under a pine tree, so the paint has some stains i cant get out yet, but hey why not repaint it (eventually). It also has ~89000 miles
Old 10/15/05, 04:06 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 88blueGT@September 28, 2005, 12:24 PM
...Thats all that I can think of at this time. Im sure that theres more than that though...

...I dont even want to know what I just got myself into
i know, i know, mines not a fox, but man, does that part sound familiar :P
Old 10/15/05, 04:51 PM
V6 Member

mines a 90 gt that i bought new , and to tell you the truth , other than tires and general maint. i havent had to spend a dime on her . Living in wisconsin i store her during the winter and she has clocked a little over 80k . I work as a service manager at a ford dealership and would have to say she is probably one of the cleanest fox bodies in the area .Ive been so happy the was she has performed and stood up to the tests of time that ive ordered a new little sister for her , my 06
gt should be sharing a stable with her within a month
Old 10/15/05, 05:18 PM
GT Member

Hey Gussy8055,

Have any pictures? If you do I'de love to see'em. Sounds like a clean original, which is what I like. Mine just turned over 86,000 miles today. I'm not the original owner of my car, but all and all the car has been very well taken care of. She's not 15 yet but the only thing that does'nt work is the drivers door lock when you use the power lock, everything else works great and no interior rattles whatsoever. I've been told thats unusual.
Old 10/15/05, 09:55 PM
V6 Member

Here she is Ren , Just hate the thought of putting her to pasture again so soon for winter
Old 10/16/05, 04:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, mine has needed a few fixes for awhile now.

1) Passenger side electronic door lock doesnt work.
2) Clutch has been making a "creakin" noise for over 10 years, but still works great.
3) The spring for the ash tray is broke.
4) Bugs and chips in the paint due to owner neglect.
5) Starts to idle rough after awhile. Needs a tuneup.

All in all. Shes been/is a great car.
Old 10/16/05, 07:00 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by gussy8055@October 15, 2005, 10:58 PM
Here she is Ren , Just hate the thought of putting her to pasture again so soon for winter
Veeeery nice I too will soon be putting mine away for her winters nap, although it's hard to think about it with the nice weather we've been having.
Old 10/16/05, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gussy8055@October 15, 2005, 9:58 PM

Kudo's to you on a fine example of a Fox body Mustang! I love original owner cars the most too!! A true enthusiast!

Quick Reply: 15 years later....